Alps Italian/france boarder Parking

Inland paddling
chucky240

Alps Italian/france boarder Parking

Post by chucky240 » Sun May 29, 2016 7:57 pm

Hi everyone,

I have a alps logistics question for you.

I am flying in the Turin airport then travelling to Briancon to meet a group who are already out there for a long weekend. I have hired a car and i will not be taking any kit on the plane with me.

To avoid paying a stupid amount of money taking the car across the boarder i am looking at leaving the car on the italian side of the boarder and then getting picked up.

I have looked at public transport and it was a bitch and would take me most of the day get there wasting valuable paddling time!

Looking at parking in either of these 3 towns Claviere, Cesana Torinese or Oulx. Has anyone ever tried this / done this / know the area and can advise somewhere safe to leave the car for 4 days over the weekend.

thanks for any help you can provide.

Badknee

Re: Alps Italian/france boarder Parking

Post by Badknee » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:11 am

I can't help with the parking but it is only an approximately an hour and a half drive, couldn't someone pick you up. Alternatively, get the train to Oulx and someone could get you there (40 mins).

On another note, when I have done this journey, I have not paid extra for driving across borders and this is with various companies.
All the usual scratches...

buck197

Post by buck197 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:45 pm

So you are saying the hire car company are charging a surcharge to take the car out of Italy? Seems a little strange, when I have hired a car at Geneva to go to the French Alps there has not been a surcharge? What are they asking per day?
Brian Taylor
Paddle Pirates

conoroneill

Post by conoroneill » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:33 pm

Surely no hire car company can charge extra for taking an Italian car into France. That's precisely what the free movement of people across the EU is supposed to permit?

What makes you think there is a charge? Are you perhaps assuming that some complications which may apply elsewhere would also apply here?

And I assume that the border point near Briancon is like most (all?) of the other borders between Italy and France with no gates or checkpoints of any sort at all.
Conor O'Neill

Simon Westgarth

Post by Simon Westgarth » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:38 am

Hmmm seams a very strange question. I have not come across any hire car firm of late that has any EU cross border restrictions. Perhaps consider a different hire car company?

Public transport from Torino Airport means an airport train to the city centre, another regional train to Oulx. There is a bus service from Oulx to Briançon: http://www.serre-chevalier.com/wp-conte ... re2015.pdf

cathalferris

Post by cathalferris » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:52 pm

The car hire companies will charge to pick up at one and drop off at another. There should be no restriction for driving a hired car between mainland EU countries. There are insurance restrictions in driving to the former Soviet bloc countries at least, but definitely nothing between Italy and France for purely driving.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

chucky240

Post by chucky240 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:26 pm

Hi guys

thank you for your replys, If you look at the t+c's (I have looked at multiple countries) they state that there is an insurance surcharge for going across the boarder.
So basically if I am in france and have an accident I would not be insured. at a cost of 20 euros a day. which is one of the cheaper companys.
I looked at public transport and with the flight time, which the company has changed :@ different subject, to get from the airport to oulx I would have to stop over somewhere for the night. Plus originally I was going to arrive in Briancon in time to fit an afternoon run in. now I am arriving in time to enjoy some food and beer.

TJ_Machin

Post by TJ_Machin » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:48 am

I've done this a couple years back. I got the trains and then got picked up by our group.
It did take quite some time. With a long wait for the second train.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”