River Awe Summer Saturday Releases

Inland paddling
AlexC

River Awe Summer Saturday Releases

Post by AlexC » Sat May 28, 2016 12:12 pm

Hi,
Having binned the Ardeche holiday due to the strikes, we're looking at alternatives in the UK. I recall that the Awe used to run guaranteed releases for 24 hours through Saturday night. But that was probably 15 years ago or more.

The info I can find so far suggests only intermittent releases on certain high summer weekends.

Anyone have any more info?

cheers

AlexC

Re: River Awe Summer Saturday Releases

Post by AlexC » Sat May 28, 2016 12:21 pm

Ok, I've just read the description of the rive on UKRGB, apparently there are river guides on this site as well:-) Who knew?

It's tricky to see what's current due to the contradictions between updates, but it appears that I definitely don't want a full release with the kids. Which is fair enough because they don't seem to exist. So I guess the question is..

Is it paddlable on an average summer weekend?

Note that I'm not looking for gnarl. Me in my kayak and the wife and kids in the Inflateable.

Re: the inflatable. Don't panic, I've got a good idea what I'm doing and realise that rivers can be very dangerous. I'm not useless, just very out of date (Tuolomne, Styx, Finna, Sjoa, Guisanne, Dart, Roy etc for referenc)

Dave Rossetter

Post by Dave Rossetter » Sat May 28, 2016 1:59 pm

AlexC

Post by AlexC » Sat May 28, 2016 9:28 pm

Yup, that's the page I looked at earlier. For some reason I found it confusing and doubted the info on it. Perhaps because the first release it mentioned between May and October was in April . Or did I read that wrong. Ok, no freshets next weekend. Is it paddleable on normal release?

cheers

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue May 31, 2016 2:25 pm

Alex, try the full freshet document:
http://canoescotland.org/sites/default/ ... 202016.pdf
Schedule 2 (starts on page 4) is for the Awe.
Looks like the 30 April freshet was the lowest volume for the scheduled releases this year, it was high enough to run a WWR on (Awe race is back after circa 20 year break!), I wasn't there and most of the WWRs I know are in Bosnia now for the world champs so difficult to ask, but they definitely had a race so it was passable - I think I did hear it was quite a low release though.

I don't see a volume or flow rate for a smolt release, but I didn't look hard.

There is always the Loch Katrine Aqueduct ;)

AlexC

Post by AlexC » Tue May 31, 2016 10:05 pm

Thanks Jim,
Couldn't see any other suitable releases on there. Back to my other question, is it paddleable at compensation flows?
I'm guessing it is, if you're not after proper gnarl.

Also, anyone know the Allt Van Halen that Vertical Descents do the canyoning on? That looks like an option for one day

garya

Post by garya » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:51 am

If you are worried about the strikes in France and looking for a good Europe trip with nice mix of rivers why not take a serious look at Southern Germany / Austria you wont be disappointed .. a nice mix of kayak and open boat rivers at all levels. Lots of good camping and accommodation options so you can travel around to find what you want...

The water is guaranteed and is good weather on the whole and the river stretches tend to be much longer and less crowded too. The drive to the Belgium boarder is quick form Calais so fuel wont be a problem, or just go direct to Zeebrugge to avoid France all together

White water northern alps covers most of what you need or just ask on the board for the type of rivers you are looking for with kids in mind.

Joanne

Post by Joanne » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:03 am

Hi Alex,
It is a bit rocky, but yes it does run at the summer compensation flows.

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:16 pm

Of course you always have the Tay to fall back on, and isn't there a touring section of the Lyon, which releases on Thursdays but it is usually reckoned that the water gets to the normal WW section on Friday (presumably earlier for a higher up section)?

It has been so long since I've paddled the Awe that I don't even know what different flows look like!

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”