So.. The Yorkshire Derwent..

Inland paddling
carpyken

So.. The Yorkshire Derwent..

Post by carpyken » Sun May 15, 2016 8:53 pm

I know this has been done before but who has first hand experience of running this river? What really are the access agreements, easy put ins and take outs? I understand there are issues / legal problems above Stamford Bridge but what about the lower river?

It would be really good to start getting some of this in black and white, rather than the grey we have been subjected to over the last decade.... The guidebook on this site is well out of date...

Tim Watson

Re: So.. The Yorkshire Derwent..

Post by Tim Watson » Sun May 15, 2016 10:40 pm

I've paddled this regularly, above and below Stamford Bridge. Never had an access problem. I've paddled from Old Malton down to Kirkham Abbey, from Kirkham (below the weir) to Howsham, Howsham to Stamford Bridge (portaging Buttercrambe weir because I was on my own), from Sutton on Derwent upstream to Kexby and regularly either from Bubwith or Breighton down to Barmby on the Marsh. Only ever met friendly people. The only place where it felt a bit dodgy was portaging Buttercrambe weir because I was clearly walking - very briefly - on Buttercrambe Hall's land. It's a pleasant paddle but don't expect any fireworks. It's completely flat for 99.9% of the time. Howsham weir is a good place to play for a couple of hours at low to medium levels. Avoid empty and huge levels as the fun disappears somewhat.

goatboy

Post by goatboy » Thu May 19, 2016 1:04 pm

I do this from time to time. It's open to big boats (narrowboats / barges etc.) & the Rosie&Jim people have got plenty of guides to it (e.g. http://www.jim-shead.com/waterways/river.php?wpage=DRWT).

There aren't any access problems on the water itself. The guy with the house on the island at Sutton-on-Derwent can be a bit awkward about you portaging the sluices there if you don't speak to him first, but nobody has seen him for a while.

Some sections are quite remote (which is nice ...)

carpyken

Post by carpyken » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:10 am

Thank you all, can anyone else add to this, we are thinking of bringing a group down from Malton to Stamford Bridge in the next couple of weeks. Is the tree still over the river above Howsham?

Again many thanks

aletthebrave

Post by aletthebrave » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:46 am

My understanding is that you will need permission to paddle on this river. At least, I had to ask permission from a landowner before organising a club trip between Howsham and Kirkham Abbey over the summer. There was a tree over the river, but we managed to get across it just fine.

I would suggest speaking to the access officer (Paul Lister) beforehand. I have his email if you want - pm me.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:03 pm

There's a quote about access to the Derwent at http://www.riveraccessforall.co.uk/faq.php

As I understand it, it's been mention a lot debates on in access law - see also page 10 onwards in http://www.caffynonrivers.co.uk/_resour ... r_1830.pdf

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”