Shred Ready Standard half-cut vs. full-cut?

Inland paddling
Franky

Shred Ready Standard half-cut vs. full-cut?

Post by Franky » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:01 pm

I need a new helmet, having lost the Shred Ready Standard Half-cut that gave sterling service over 2 years.

I'm planning on getting another SR Standard, as I liked the old one... However, I'm undecided about whether to get a full-cut or to stick with the half-cut.

I don't see many people wearing full-cuts and wonder why that is. The obvious explanation is that the ear panels restrict your ability to hear. Is that all there is to it?

The reason I'm considering the full-cut is that I roll quite frequently because I like to practise wave surfing and things generally a bit outside my comfort zone. But the last few times I've capsized, the water was very cold, and I'm starting to get concerned about ear damage due to burst ear drums, or the thickening of the bones due to cold water shock. Would a full-cut helmet help with this?

Obviously a full-cut would also offer better protection against knocks, and I'm now paddling slightly more challenging stuff than I was 2 years ago.

(There aren't many SR helmets in the UK at the moment, but supposedly new stock is arriving at the end of this month.)

Thanks for any advice,

Franky

Jim

Re: Shred Ready Standard half-cut vs. full-cut?

Post by Jim » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:23 pm

I don't beleive a full cut helmet makes any difference for preventing exostoses, get ear plugs or a neoprene cap to go under your helmet for that.

Base your decision entirely on whether you feel you need impact protection in those areas or not.

I've been using a WW comp which is half cut style for nearly 20 years and have never taken a knock where ear panels would have been, but I may paddle differently to you, and fall in differently to you. My go-to roll is reverse screw so it is extremely rare that I bump my head at all.

knightster20

Post by knightster20 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:58 pm

I've got a half cut, tried the full cut first but it put a lot of pressure on the sides of my head (above and forwards of my ears) where there's some screws for the ear flaps. Despite taking a few knocks, I've also never had any need for protection over my ears.

I guess maybe ear plugs are a good idea to stop you needing to get them drilled out, although I've never tried them I imagine I'd get annoyed at having to faff about taking them out every time I wanted to hear and putting them back in for every rapid.

Franky

Post by Franky » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:19 pm

Thanks for the replies - sounds like the half-cut is the way to go.

I never had any knocks on my ears with my last half-cut, but I wondered if that was because I wasn't trying hard enough. I'll consider ear plugs for preventing exostoses.

Yew

Post by Yew » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:08 pm

I found the full cut to be uncomfortable around my ears, hence choosing the half cut (I've lost that one unfortunately, but when they're back in stock, I'm going to pick one up for playboating use)

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:21 pm

I use a full cut Sweet and still blew my ears. Not sure how much protection from that, a helmet gives. Nice and toastie though - noticeably warmer than my old strutter
dave

goatboy

Post by goatboy » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:36 am

knightster20 wrote:I guess maybe ear plugs are a good idea to stop you needing to get them drilled out, although I've never tried them I imagine I'd get annoyed at having to faff about taking them out every time I wanted to hear and putting them back in for every rapid.
There are some earplugs designed to allow sound transmission (e.g. http://swimears.com/), and they do work quite well. I bought a set after a day surfing near a storm overflow lead to an ear infection and then a burst eardrum - not something I wish to repeat.

G.B.

damppaddler

Post by damppaddler » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:28 am

docs pro plugs don't effect hearing (you might need to press then after rolling to clear the vent)

Half cut or full helmet? You wear a helmet to protect you head - protect as much of it as you can and feel comfortable with it - I use a full face helmet most of the time (it's not just your brain you need to protect, but also your airway)

Franky

Post by Franky » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:00 pm

It turns out that there won't be any Shred Ready helmets in the shops till May. Apparently they have moved their factory, and there have been delays in starting production.

Since I need a helmet sooner than that, I have splurged on a Sweet Rocker. It's a nice fit, and hopefully excellent quality... My only complaint is that it doubles the size of my head.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”