Some of our US cousins getting their Darwin entry in.

Inland paddling
morsey

Some of our US cousins getting their Darwin entry in.

Post by morsey » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:34 pm

Face link to video, doesn't make for enjoyable viewing!

https://www.facebook.com/10000598936870 ... cation=ufi

Washington Daily Sun News article:
http://www.dailysunnews.com/news/2016/f ... ing-river/

With a nod to the previous gov'nor: Discuss

davebrads

Re: Some of our US cousins getting their Darwin entry in.

Post by davebrads » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:14 am

The article says he had been paddling for just over a year, which is pretty evident from the noob mistake he made hitting the rock, and then not reacting properly after he hit the rock. A comment from one of his friends on the Facebook post defends the decision to run the falls. I can only assume that his friends were as inexperienced as he was, there was no excuse for letting him run that drop if you had any appreciation of the difficulty and the possible outcome if things went wrong.
it's not a playboat, it's a river runner

John K

Post by John K » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:34 am

Delusions of adequacy, or possibly just a lack of imagination?

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:37 am

I'm curious to know what was his intended route down the fall. It doesn't look like he would have chosen the left side since it looks a bit boney which means he would be main-lining so his approach would have been well off line to hit that rock. I agree, lack of experience.

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:57 am

It looks to me as though he was taking the left line (a really bad boney one), then slid off to the right, where he hit the rock - which actually did him a favour and took him on a better line. He was also lucky to roll up and take a forward stroke into an outflow. It looks as though his deck had popped; if he had flotation in the bow he might have avoided a swim. Not good that someone wasn't waiting further down with a throwbag; looks as though they only "protected" the stopper and hadn't considered the possibility of a swim further downstream.

[edit] - looks from the news article that it was just him and another guy - that's the stupid thing here; only 1 person on safety....
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / XPlore-X/ My Videos

morsey

Post by morsey » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:05 pm

The 'safety team' seem to describe themselves as 'on lookers' from a comment. To me that was running without any safety. I do that all the time, in itself not an issue. I think the setting would prompt safety, my idea of safety is different to what the video shows.

The photo shows the peak is smashed off what looks like a sweet strutter! If thay is as it appears that was millimetres away from being an unconscious paddler. Glad the guy got out okay.

The video showed a person who didn't appear to know where they were aiming, that's why always get above a drop and look from waters level to see the key markers. For that drop would have wanted to check from several angles so you have a good fix on what is coming at you. And if possible get a downstream view with visual targets to aim for. The little hole above would have been keymark 1. Then the ramp/rock the guy hit keymark 2. Keep them both on the left and hit full gas aiming left to get an angle to raise the bow off a mega right hander. But those are just the key points. And above a class three rapid that'll get you through. The entry waves, acceleration of the water, change in direction of the water, the exposure (being far left, when all (in this case) safety is right (out of reach up a cliff), the steepening of the lip... All quite apparent from a single video sweep, from a far & high vantage point. Suggests that drop is not a simple chug and charge drop.

If you need to paddle a submerged boat, paddle it backwards. Or swim good.

The take away on that from my perspective is it was lucky and glad the guy was okay. Scary watching that video.

morsey

Post by morsey » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:13 pm

Dave I'm not sure he's aiming for the boney line. His boat is pointing that way but I don't think it's his intended line.

morsey

Post by morsey » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:14 pm

Also the boney line looks proper mank.

Big Henry

Post by Big Henry » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:48 pm

If I had to guess, I'd say he was intending passing the rock he hit on his left (viewer's right) and then head river right taking him just left of the boney bit and over the brown water section over the final drop. I'd also guess that he would never have been able to stick to that line, ending up at the same place he "landed" the bottom of the falls anyway!
From him being stuck on the rock:

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:05 pm

I disagree. I think he had no concept of the line or risks and not enough experience to be paddling there.
This is based on the way he paddled before and after hitting the rock, the lack of his mates' safety set up, and the fact he swam to the wrong side when out his boat.
All in all, a lucky guy.
dave

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:40 pm

It's almost as if he was heading for the wrong green (brown) tongue, he should have been nearer the middle of the river from the outset.

I also noticed he swam towards the right when he should have headed left where there are beaches and eddies, I suspect he had not anticipated being in the water this far down.

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:41 pm

With the advent of such good video equipment, it does make it easy for us to be hyper-critical about other people's paddling. I'm pleased this thread hasn't descended into the sort of vitriol you get on the 'social media'.

tobym

Post by tobym » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:20 pm

Bad advert for ,what looks like, Snapdragon spray decks, also!

Franky

Post by Franky » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:37 am

Big Henry wrote:If I had to guess, I'd say he was intending passing the rock he hit on his left (viewer's right) and then head river right taking him just left of the boney bit and over the brown water section over the final drop. I'd also guess that he would never have been able to stick to that line, ending up at the same place he "landed" the bottom of the falls anyway!
From him being stuck on the rock:
Why would he have chosen that rather complicated line, rather than simply following the long tongue on his right?

I know it's easy to say what he should have done from 200 feet up and with the benefit of hindsight... But to me it looks as though he's paddling more or less randomly and just hoping he gets down. He goes whichever way the water is pushing him; he doesn't seem to be using edging or multiple downstream strokes to go sideways around obstacles.

I think he did well to roll in the circumstances!

This is way beyond anything I've ever attempted but it's interesting to analyse... Learning from other people's mistakes is so much safer than learning from your own :)

Franky

Post by Franky » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:48 am

... Actually, reading the newspaper article, the paddler says, "I tried to run left, but hit a couple holes, got hung up and went down backwards and upside down."

So evidently he was aiming for the bony bit.

I can't see the "couple of holes" that he says he hit before he got "hung up".

The term "safety crew of friends" is stretching it... None of the onlookers, in the video and by their own admission on the FB page, had any rescue equipment or clothing! There was only the fellow paddler (who, the article says, had also only been paddling for a year).

sundaykayaker

Post by sundaykayaker » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:41 am

Looking at the positives. He rolled up in hole. Came up fighting. It's there after he is struggled to maintain upright. At 0.25 onwards his deck has collapsed. The boat is taking in water. I think he would have got away with it. If the deck had not popped.
Regards safety. Could only see one person on the River bank. The guy videoing is too far way to help in any way or shape.
Personally. I won't even do flat water paddle with out at least 4 in a group. (not that would do flat water paddling :)

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”