River pollution

Inland paddling
pete thorn

River pollution

Post by pete thorn »

The long standing saga of pollution on the Tavy has been added to with reports of severe pollution incidents from the Horrabridge works? on the Walkham. Thanks to Ross Levine for reporting two incidents. EA and South West Water are investigating.
If anyone else experiences pollution incidents on any river the way to go is to ring EA 24 hour helpline to report it, so they can check it out immediately. The number to ring is 0800 807060.
Pete Thorn

pete thorn

Re: River pollution

Post by pete thorn »

South West Water are fitting eight electronic monitors on the Tavy discharge. Four are in place but not yet connected and four more to be fitted soon. The Environment Agency will gather data from these monitors and there should be public access to the results. Then we can compare the raw sewage discharge times with the times of spates in the river. There is a suspicion that discharges, caused by surface water overwhelming the system, continue for some time after the river spate subsides, possibly causing the multiple instances of puky paddlers. When data is available next winter we can check this.
Pete Thorn

Mark Dixon

Post by Mark Dixon »

This is really good news and I hope one day they can find all the problems and sort it out, I would love to return to the Walkham one day.

jam bo

Post by jam bo »

Are all the monitors down by the sewage works? I've walked along through the river in town before and it's smelt quite special and that's a mile or so upstream of the treatment plant?

pete thorn

Post by pete thorn »

Not sure where they are, but probably within their Crowngate plant. Will enquire when they are up and running.
Pete Thorn

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”