The Last Rapid on the Etive

Inland paddling
banzer

The Last Rapid on the Etive

Post by banzer » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:41 pm

I was thinking about this rapid earlier -you know, the 'Rapid With No Name', 'Afterthought', whatever you want to call it, just before the bridge. I never seem to get a good line and tend to get stuffed upside down against the far wall. I am generally in cruise mode by this point and certainly can't be bothered to get out of my boat to look, it's so close to the end.

Considering I only paddle the Etive about once every two years and I can be pretty sure that next time I also won't bother to get out and check, can someone please tell me the line. Preferable the 'racing line' in case I ever make a veteran's race :) Thanks, Rich.
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

Poke

Re: The Last Rapid on the Etive

Post by Poke » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:35 pm

Start hard left, hit the middle paddling right seems to work for me?
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:41 am

It's called corner falls and it is not the last rapid by any means - I would have thought a waterfall aficionado like yourself would have known that Dalness falls is downstream, although few people paddle the lower Etive below Dalness so I guess the grade 4(ish, from memory - it's been 20 years) on the otherwise grade 2 lower section is one I wouldn't expect you to know about....

Corner falls - pretty much as Poke describes, but you know what, I always scout it just to remind myself of the line and the key landmarks on the run in.
The problem is that the bedrock kind of slopes so the river right side is dead shallow, forcing you to enter the run in on the left. The slope continues all the way to the lip where it causes the flow to pull hard left into the slab that juts out downstream roughly level with the lip of the fall - I can't remember if it leans over the drop, but I guess it must, making it technically an undercut, with almost all the flow pushing into it.
So you need to run it across the grain, with a lot of momentum to the right to counteract the pull to the left - I always aim to try to get my boat off the extreme right end of the lip, which results in getting it off the centre as Poke describes (there is a massive eddy on the right, the landing will be OK if you do get to the extreme right). The problem is that there is a hump in the centre of that sloping slab, and if you start going right too early you will hit it, or scrape up onto it, loosing all your speed and rebounding to the left right where you wanted to be getting momentum to the right. Of course, if you start the move too late, you just won't get enough rightward momentum.

Definitely worth scouting in my book.

Oh, and I just missed seeing a friend who I think didn't scout (I believe someone else had) completely fail to get any rightward momentum, slam into the slab which caught his paddle and slammed it into his forehead just below his helmet knocking him out for a few seconds (cold water brought him round, and the rescuer was on the ball). I was in the group ahead and was walking back up with my camera, and arrived just as they were pulling him out of the water - In retrospect I wish we'd waited for them to catch up to make sure they scouted and had a chance to watch our lines....

banzer

Post by banzer » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:44 am

Jim wrote:It's called corner falls and it is not the last rapid by any means - I would have thought a waterfall aficionado like yourself would have known that Dalness falls is downstream, although few people paddle the lower Etive below Dalness so I guess the grade 4(ish, from memory - it's been 20 years) on the otherwise grade 2 lower section is one I wouldn't expect you to know about....
Thanks guys. Afficionado - yes.... Expert - I wish!

I've paddled Dalness and the final lower section as well on the way across to the Ceitlin.... sorry I should have said the 'regular section'!

Maybe I will actually scout next time. The issue with going right into the eddy is, that's not racing line...?
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

Poke

Post by Poke » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:05 am

Poke wrote:Start hard left, hit the middle paddling right seems to work for me?
banzer wrote:The issue with going right into the eddy is, that's not racing line...?
In that case I'll revise my advice to:

Start hard left, hit the middle paddling right, end on a right boof stroke to straighten yourself up?

If you find yourself in the eddy, you've gone too hard right. If you hit the left wall, you've not got right hard enough...

haha.
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

morsey

Post by morsey » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:41 pm

banzer wrote:the 'Rapid With No Name',
That's on the Tawe, downstream of Pen y Cae falls.

morsey

Post by morsey » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:45 pm

Banzer I like this info searching thread. Can someone give me racing lines, top to bottom on the Etive. I'll print them and tape it to my deck and send it next time I'm up. Ta.

EZ

Post by EZ » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:50 pm

morsey wrote:Banzer I like this info searching thread. Can someone give me racing lines, top to bottom on the Etive. I'll print them and tape it to my deck and send it next time I'm up. Ta.
Etive, Racing lines: Launch, Paddle fast, Middle, left, Middle, left, Middle, left, Middle, left, Middle, left, Middle, left, Middle, left, Middle, left, Middle, left, Middle, left, Middle, left, Middle, Brown claw, left, Middle, left, Middle, left, Middle, left, Middle, left, Middle, throw paddles, pick up paddles, left, Middle, right. Get out.

I thought you knew that already Morsey? Maybe you've forgotten?

Just to help you out even more here's a reminder of the racing lines on the upper dart:
Launch, Paddle fast, middle, right, middle, right, middle, right, middle, right, middle, right, middle, right, middle, right, middle, right, middle, right, middle, right, middle, right, middle, right, middle, right, middle, right, middle, right, middle, right, middle, right, middle, right, middle, right, middle, right, middle, right, wave at angry/sleeping fisherman, middle, right, middle, right, middle, right, middle, left. Get out. Drive back to the top and collect forgotten shoe.

And don't give me any of that "I've been paddling the upper dart since before you were born" nonsense, we all need a little help now and again.

Neptune

Post by Neptune » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:07 am

I have always liked this rapid/fall as someone in the group invariably gets their line wrong or mucks it up creating entertainment value for the rest of the group and don't go telling me you don't laugh when someone in your group gets a trashing or you do for that matter.

Peter

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:32 am

Just to add my thoughts:
EZ wrote: Just to help you out even more here's a reminder of the racing lines on the upper dart:
Launch, Paddle fast, middle, right, middle, right, middle, right, middle, right, middle, right, middle, right, middle, right, middle, right, middle, right, middle, right, middle, right, middle, right, middle, right, middle, right (I think this one should be left), middle, right, middle, right, middle, right, middle, right, middle, right, middle, right, middle, right, wave at angry/sleeping fisherman, middle, right, middle, right, middle, right, middle, left. Get out. Drive back to the top and collect forgotten shoe.

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:54 pm

Aw come on we all know if you go middle middle middle on any river, you are never more than 50% off line
dave

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:55 pm

Racing lines for the Meig gorge:
Take everything left except the teacup fall which you want to start on the right, before you can tell which fall it is.

Racing lines for midde Etive:
Start above triple falls, go right for first drop, end up right for second, spin sideways and capsize over drop, roll up and get out of the cauldron. Third drop flare right, hopefully missing the vertical edge that sticks out below
Letterbox, hard right onto bank, carry over rocks on right.
Ski jump right of centre, just to the left of the bump - rail grab.
Crack of Doom, hard right onto the bank, carry down and seal launch into the slot below the entrance hole, take bottom drop wherever you end up. Don't forget to attempt a rock splat below
Crack of Dawn, hard left onto bank, carry to ledge just left of the fall and seal launch. In open canoe try not to go deep and fill up, it is a while before you can dump again.
Unnamed rapid on right bend, beats me, I always hit something whatever line I try
Rapid leading down to Waterslide, ride the ramp around to to the right and then left for the waterslide
Waterslide start left moving centre, if racing probably want to clip the right hand end of the hole on the slide and come off the central projection of the final drop.
Right Angle falls, hard right onto the bank and follow the steep muddy track up to the car.
If you forget to get out at Right angle, scrape your way down to Corner falls, approach left and break hard right to leave the lip centre or right - don't worry about the eddy you can use it to help you turn and line up the last little bit to the bridge.

sundaykayaker

Post by sundaykayaker » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:56 pm

Going to Scotland for the first time. Over the bank holiday weekend.

is this what u mean.

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:40 pm

Is that what who means?
The video only goes as far as right angle, not to corner falls which was the original question.
It does show someone hitting that edge after flaring triple 3 which I mentioned :) but they appeared to have forgotten most of the portages.

Don't rely on scouting by video, not all drops are included....

banzer

Post by banzer » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:31 pm

EZ wrote: Just to help you out even more here's a reminder of the racing lines on the upper dart:
Launch, Paddle fast, middle, right, middle, right, middle, right, middle, right, middle, right, middle, right, middle, right, middle, right, middle, right, middle, right, middle, right, middle, right, middle, right, middle, right, middle, right, middle, right, middle, right, middle, right, middle, right, middle, right, middle, right, wave at angry/sleeping fisherman, middle, right, middle, right, middle, right, middle, left. Get out. Drive back to the top and collect forgotten shoe.
This is great. Imagine the carnage if you got one rapid out of sync but didn't realise :)
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

morsey

Post by morsey » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:23 pm

banzer wrote:Imagine the carnage if you got one rapid out of sync but didn't realise
I did that in Italy, got the sequence wrong on the Gronda. Bit shallow that landing...

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:56 pm

banzer wrote:This is great. Imagine the carnage if you got one rapid out of sync but didn't realise :)
Done that! Went left at Euthanasia; doh!

"What are all those people doing over there?"

morsey

Post by morsey » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:05 pm

To be fair the left channel (river left by the bank) is the intuitive way to go through that section above Euthanasia if you've not been there before. From the rock structure above certainly do not expect the constriction that Euthanasia makes on the right channel. It's only lucky tour above that has any dramatic narrowing of the main channel. But it does then give you a heads up to expect weird things (Surprise) downstream. It's where abandoned boats and paddles tend to go, so worth knowing what goes on in that back channel.