Underwater strokes

Inland paddling
DaveBland

Underwater strokes

Post by DaveBland » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:54 pm

What's the general thoughts on upside-down paddling? I'm a fan.

Find yourself stuck in a stopper unable to get enough forward momentum and brace at the same time, to get to the end? Forget the bracing aspect of the stroke and go for the big underwater strokes. Worry about than getting up for air thing later, when you are out the hole.

Stuck against a sidewall unable to get up and move the boat downstream into the current at the same time? Don't worry about the getting up part. Just use that stroke to get the boat moving down the wall then roll up when clear.
dave

Franky

Re: Underwater strokes

Post by Franky » Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:24 pm

Good advice but what is an underwater stroke actually like?

Just come back from Lee Valley Legacy (first visit in 3 months). I got washing-machined in the stopper at the bottom, came up once with a roll, went straight back under, got pushed to the wall, couldn't get a roll in, got "brain freeze" and ended up pulling the deck.

I vaguely remembered your post, but couldn't for the life of me work out what underwater stroke would pull me out of the stopper.

(The water was ****ing freezing today - I felt the strength draining away from my body and brain with every second I was under water.)

Jerry Tracey

Post by Jerry Tracey » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:27 am

An underwater stroke occurs during a trashing after a power-flip. Whilst attempting to set up for a roll, one or other blade is grabbed by the water and you are suddenly flung back upright. This is disorienting, but looks great to spectators, especially if you flukily end up back on the crest of the wave. It is very very tempting to claim moves like this as deliberate!!

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:37 am

Whilst I immensely respect any unintentional move that gets away with it that can be claimed as "totes deli", that wasn't what I mean!

Franky, this only works on one side with one stroke, may be two if lucky.
Think of it as a gert big roll stroke, but without the trying to get up bit. Start in a normal roll tuck-up and sweep with an [extended if you can] sweep as hard as you can. The great thing is you don't have to worry about stability as you are already over. This can work with a reverse sweep to move you backwards too.

If I get a chance this spring I'll vid one on a local run to demonstrate. I'd like to see how it looks too.
dave

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”