LTM coaching advice

Inland paddling
Bugsy505

LTM coaching advice

Post by Bugsy505 »

While working towards my level 2 coaching qualification I've found my students have issues with their long term memory of skill learning which means a small portion of each sessions goes to reteaching the klps for the particular skill. I've introduced videoing my students so they can watch each skill at home to make a mental note before coming to the session. They are all of adult age.

Does anyone have any good advice for my coaching and the long term memory of my students.

twopigs

Re: LTM coaching advice

Post by twopigs »

Practice, practice, practice. I'm told it takes 200 repetitions before a simple task becomes "learnt" so plenty of practice, don't rush them .....
Canoeing - bigger boat, broken paddle, more skill!

RichTyler

Post by RichTyler »

Learners retention (both theoretical and practical) will ultimately be dictated by your use of coaching tools, and ability to tailor sessions to meet individual learners needs. There are obviously numerous other factors (that's why there are books written on the subject) that also contribute but if you want a short answer that's as simple as I can make it :/

Your ability to effectively use suitable 'coaching tools' will be dedicated by your experience and understanding as a coach, some of the following points may be worth considering (just to note, adapting to meet individual learners needs is an running theme for the following...): utilising a range of coaching styles, enabling productive practice, facilitating group/self-reflection, your ability to demonstrate 'good practice' (or just highlighting what needs to be observed), effective short/medium/long-term goal setting, giving appropriate feedback (in a range of ways), asking the right type of questions, choosing suitable venues, creating and using 'learning aids' (hand-outs, video use, etc.), addressing all aspects of learning and skill acquisition (psychological/tactical/etc.), observation and analysis of performance (being able to address key issues, this is not always necessarily the most obvious...), etc.

Just to clear up 'meeting individual learners needs' or 'individualisation', this comes down to knowing your learners. Unfortunately we are far too complicated and awkward as human beings to be categorised as either visual/auditory/kinaesthetic, theorist/pragmatist/reflector/activist, etc.

As I mentioned earlier there are countless book written on the subject and many coaches also have differing beliefs on what works best, these are just some of my thoughts, feel free to message me if you have any specific questions on any of the above :)

Rich

twicezero

Post by twicezero »

A few things I learnt from my Level 2...

Working with a group over more than a couple of sessions and having a plan to progress over helped - sounds like you've already got that stuff. Super cool - a big step for me.

With that I found managing the timing of teaching concepts - when to introduce things - was important to progress. I started taking things out of my sessions and having more focus on the key building blocks I wanted to build on. I had to stop my 'kitchen sink' approach.

Of those core things I found that I needed to find several ways to have the students use or put the skill into action. Repetition was not enough. Variance of practice, senses and styles all helped the learning.

Building in time to reflect, both having the group watch and learn from each other, and to think about what's happening helped them progress their personal skill.

I put these together to help me build activities as part of my session plan. My rule was to have 2 or three ways of learning a skill.

Super key for me was when I came across the idea of managing the complexity of the practice. Both variance of practice _and_ the interference against achieving the goal - allowed me to help the group progress towards real skill and a consistency of performance. That hopefully made my delivery more dynamic and reactive to people's learning needs that session.

Its late, I hope there is something that might help

(There is some cool stuff in the BCU handbook and Coaching handbook - I don't know if they are still in print? )

Dan

Bugsy505

Post by Bugsy505 »

Thanks for all your advice. It's progression rather than perfection and my students are having fun :). Time to get my sessions planned ready for my level 2 assessment and having just passed my 3 star open canoe today I'm one happy paddler.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”