What do you do with your car keys.

Inland paddling
YorkieDave

What do you do with your car keys.

Post by YorkieDave » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:39 pm

Just looking for general advice on what people do with their car keys to keep them safe.

If you keep them in a dry bag in the boat and the boat gets lost then this causes a problem.

A small dry pouch is another option warn under your drycag/suit but then in summer you may wear a lightweight cag or other non waterproof top.

BA pocket, chance of loosing them out when you grab a knife or sling out and plop!

Key safe padlock thing attached to the car, then some pikey comes along and breaks it open with bolt croppers.

What do you do?

feedbackproblem

Re: What do you do with your car keys.

Post by feedbackproblem » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:48 pm

Waterproof pouch on a cord fastened to one of the anchor points in my BA pocket (and another one for my phone).

andypagett

Post by andypagett » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:12 am

Dry pouch in cag pocket. Waterproof pouch on cord round neck is another option I've seen for those with no pocket. If I'm in non waterproof gear that normally means I'm somewhere where boat isn't going to go missing, so it can go in there (eg club nights, easy trips)

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:32 am

The best solution I came up with was to get a key cut without the immobiliser chip which would then be able to open a door but not start the car. I would carry this clipped in a BA pocket and hide the real keys in the car. I would let my computer buddies know where the key was so if the worst came to the worst someone could break into the car and drive it. I still haven't got around to getting a key cut for my current car though and I've had it three years now.
it's not a playboat, it's a river runner

scarymary

Post by scarymary » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:46 am

In an aquapack attached to a hook in my ba pocket. The key keeps dry, and I keep the key......never failed me yet.

Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:22 am

Waterproof pouch round my neck under drysuit/cag.

If I'm not wearing either it'll be in the same pouch, but in my BA pocket.

C
Jackson Nirvana, BMW F650GS...

sundaykayaker

Post by sundaykayaker » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:01 am

:) lose them.
Sometimes leave them at the get in.
Occasionally drop them in the River.
So for me the solution was to use the old fashione solid key on a simple key ring, hooked in to my BA.

chriscw

Post by chriscw » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:26 am

Normally in one of those small phone pouches tucked inside whatever top I am wearing with the cord round my neck. The back of my car opens with a different non smart key so I do have the option of locking the chipped key in the car and just taking the other one.
Chris Clarke-Williams
Location Basingstoke

Paddling Interests:
Touring, Coaching Beginners (I am an L2K), Surf White water trips, Weir Play (I'm not good enough to put freestyle!)

Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:40 am

The other thing we sometimes do is put all our keys in one car and that person keeps their key on them in a waterproof bag/box....

C

pdean13

Post by pdean13 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:49 am

We do this too:
Chalky723 wrote:The other thing we sometimes do is put all our keys in one car and that person keeps their key on them in a waterproof bag/box....

C
And until now I've kept my key in a small drybox with lanyard tucked in my BA.

Really like the idea of a plain unchipped key.... Going to get one cut ASAP. Great idea - thanks.

p.

Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:17 pm

My old car had a "dumb key" - used to just put it in the BA pocket & all was well.

New one is keyless entry, so I can't leave the key within a couple of metres of the car.

The upside is that I can put the key in its bag round my neck before we even leave the bunkhouse & never need to take it off - no chance of leaving it at the put in (which seems quite a popular thing to do)....

C

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:40 pm

I used to carry them in a drybag in the boat, until one day I did a shuttle run and forgot to pick it up out of the boat.

Now I put them in a waterproof pouch and tie it to one of the straps inside my drysuit.
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / Kodiak / My Videos

PolecatApollo

Post by PolecatApollo » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:47 pm

Not in the boat anyway, for reason mentioned. In the BA, in a dry bag. I have a little plastic loop in the BA pocket, I could use a little carabiner to link the dry bag... but I dont bother.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:04 pm

Get a key cut with a chip for the immobiliser but no remote. These are unaffected by being wet. I put it on a cord round my neck, under my cag (but could put in a BA or cag pocket).

On my current car (Focus), I just need to make sure I put the key in the ignition within 10sec of opening the door, or the alarm sounds, otherwise no problems at all.

Jerry Tracey

Post by Jerry Tracey » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:26 pm

The best solution of all is to be lucky enough to be married to a non-paddling support driver!!

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:14 am

I like to have a key 'with' the car so in the event of something happening, anyone can drive it [me] to wherever.
Don't like to leave it on the car, but hidden nearby. Base of a tree under a stone type thing.
dave

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:05 pm

My 'emergency key' has a chip - this is the one that came with the car - I just attach it either to me or my BA. Spare house key in the car, main set of keys in the boat.

yabbadabba

Post by yabbadabba » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:55 pm

2 x vehicles I use for paddling.
1 x vehicle has a transponder inbuilt but not central locking so no issues with water ingress.
The other is a remote locking fob etc so a spare has been cut with Transponder inserted but no remote locking circuitry.
Either key goes on a one piece lanyard under either my wetsuit/cag or what ever I am wearing.
I also have an extremely well hidden key on both vehicles attached to the chassis/underside so in extreme case of key loss I can still get in my vehicle and drive home.

Afon

Post by Afon » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:49 pm

My car is so old, the only chip I have to worry about is the deep fried kind.

Kizzie_St-As

Post by Kizzie_St-As » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:47 pm

Aqua pack - stayed dry through many a cliff jumping session so I'm pretty trusting of it!
Done a Scottish river not on the site? Message me!

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:14 pm

Just something to think about...
if the key is with one person, it's reliant on that person being able to get to the key and pass it easily to someone else if they need to rush back to the car to sort anything out.
We had a chap dislocate his shoulder recently. Some of the group stayed with him while the rest piled down the river to get his car. Apart from the fact they were on opposite banks, had the chap with the injury had his key under his drysuit, it would have made things a lot slower and trickier.
It's not a big deal, but something to consider if in more remote parts [ie. more than 300yds from a pub]
dave

ion

Post by ion » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:48 pm

Give them to the shuttle driver. With a $20 to ensure cold beer at takeout

Blonde Wendy

Post by Blonde Wendy » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:07 am

My car has a plip pad and a blade that springs out - common system. Locking the car with the blade locks the central locking but does not set the alarm. I had a duplicate blade made for 10 quid and lock the car with that when I go boating. It doesn't set the alarm. I wear it round my neck on a cord.

Mark Dixon

Post by Mark Dixon » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:39 am

Paddled the Middle Tavy a couple years ago and my mate left his keys in his boat, he swam and his boat got pinned up against a bridge in Huge levels. We had to set up a V rescue to retrieve the boat, not fun, but valuable paddling time was being eaten away.
I put mine in a keybox for last 2 years.
Mark