Group Shelter Recommendation

Inland paddling
YorkieDave

Group Shelter Recommendation

Post by YorkieDave » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:11 pm

Which group shelter do people recommend for group leading probably want one for 4-6 people.

Unsponsored

Re: Group Shelter Recommendation

Post by Unsponsored » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:38 pm

I have a couple of Terra Nova ones. 2 and 4 person. Can get bigger. Used many times and still going strong.

Terryg

Post by Terryg » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:44 pm

pdean13

Post by pdean13 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:24 pm

Depends on what kind of eventuality you want it for. Mine is a really old vango one for a group of 8. The reason I went with that is that on my ML course we were told that you needed one that could accommodate a casualty that had to lie down. Not sure if you think you need to go that far!

I've only ever had to use mine for a lunch stop :-)

scottdog007

Post by scottdog007 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:59 pm

Yep Terra Nova Bothy 2 or 4. We had an incident in Scotland took a good 3 hours to sort we only had rubbish space blankets. After that I bought at Bothy 2. Another time we had a massive wait at the end of a day while someone cycled back to get the van. The get-off was not sheltered the wind blew across bitterly, we got the Bothy out and I was amazed how warm we stayed. A definite must on long remote trips.

Jim

Post by Jim » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:25 pm

I bought a load of Pertex and made one, turns out it will probably fit 8-12, and packs down really small :)

YorkieDave

Re: RE: Re: Group Shelter Recommendation

Post by YorkieDave » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:54 am

Jim wrote:I bought a load of Pertex and made one, turns out it will probably fit 8-12, and packs down really small :)
What dimensions were that as I like your idea
scottdog007 wrote:Yep Terra Nova Bothy 2 or 4. We had an incident in Scotland took a good 3 hours to sort we only had rubbish space blankets. After that I bought at Bothy 2. Another time we had a massive wait at the end of a day while someone cycled back to get the van. The get-off was not sheltered the wind blew across bitterly, we got the Bothy out and I was amazed how warm we stayed. A definite must on long remote trips.

RichTyler

Post by RichTyler » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:56 am

Rab do a good 4-6 person shelter, bit more expensive compared to other brands but I haven't found another one that packs down as small.

Jim

Re: RE: Re: Group Shelter Recommendation

Post by Jim » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:48 pm

YorkieDave wrote:
Jim wrote:I bought a load of Pertex and made one, turns out it will probably fit 8-12, and packs down really small :)
What dimensions were that as I like your idea
It was a wide roll of fabric, not sure if it still comes the same width.
The actual bothy measures 1.6m along all 4 sides (approximately the roll width), and just over 1.8m bottom to top (with a bit turned up for the drawstring). I used 1 piece 5.2m long (plus the bit to turn up for the drawstring, maybe 5.4m?) which makes 2 sides and the top, and 2 pieces 1.8m long (plus the turn up for the drawstring) for the other 2 sides. If your bobbin lasts and you can get round the corners OK you can do it in 3 seams (2 for the sides, 1 for the drawstring).

I actually went a bit fancy and added a couple of closeable circular vents. The vent has some midge mesh so it holds the shape when open, and I sewed a tube of fabric around it with a turn up for a drawstring - the cylinder is long enough than it bunches up without bunching up the side of the shelter. If you remember to get the drawstrings inside you can use the vents as windows, for example when sheltering awaiting a shuttle....

Easily big enough for 2 down each side, possibly more - my brother reckoned it was at least as big as 12 man ones he used at OB, but I've never tested how many can get in.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”