Slovenia end of July, any water?

Inland paddling
stevenb

Slovenia end of July, any water?

Post by stevenb » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:29 am

Due to school holidays were looking at going out to Slovenia to find some grade 2/3. Does anyone know if there will still be water around the end of July, or are we pushing our luck.

I understand the main paddling is on the Soca just various sections.

We normally go to austria but fancy a change this year.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Steve

Steve Agar

Re: Slovenia end of July, any water?

Post by Steve Agar » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:33 am

We went as a family last year at the end of July and had a great time on the Soca. We stayed at the excellent small campsite at Trnovo at the end of the grade 3 section/beginning of the "slalom site" and paddled that stretch three times, the section down to Kobarid twice and a couple of higher sections. Water levels were low following a long dry spell, but a couple of overnight thunderstorms restored them to normal levels. Can't recommend it highly enough for grade 2/3 fun in incredibly clear, turquoise water with enough technical rapids to improve your skills. A day off to explore the show caves when it rained, and plenty of hiking if you fancy. Very difficult to pack up and leave. Depending on the time you have, you can extend it by taking in a bit of Austria on the way back as we did (enough water in the Inn at Pfunds, for example).
PM me if you want more details.

C1pete

Post by C1pete » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:45 am

I have stayed out in Solkan a couple of times and can't describe how much I love that place. The slalom site section may not be the biggest or most technical but it is an amazing place to paddle and an amazing place to stay.

buck197

Post by buck197 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:49 pm

Brilliant place for grade 2/3 and some 4, cheap cost of living and lots of outdoor stuff to do off the water. We hired a chalet for six which made it as cheap as camping. Make a road trip of getting to and from the Soca valley. I'll be there for my seventh year on the trot this June. A German or possibly Austrian site called 4-paddlers has historical data for last July
Brian Taylor
Paddle Pirates

Lancs_lad

Post by Lancs_lad » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:53 pm

I went August just gone. Only the lower gorge had water. However, this was definitely not empty. It was an ideal venue for my partner who is developing on grade 3. Off the river is beautiful and relaxed also.

Simon Westgarth

Post by Simon Westgarth » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:00 am

The snow pack so far this year is not mega, but come July most of the snow is gone. Late summer paddling is from base flow and summer storms. The lower gorge is very paddle-able in late summer. On your travel to Slovenia you can stop off en route in Austria, with river's like the Salzach for Class 2/3 paddling often over looked.

Simon

Post by Simon » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:01 am

Another vote for making the best of the journey out and back.

Slovenia is wonderful for low to intermediate level boating. But as Simon said eastern Austria has some good but little visited (by Brits) boating as well.

But also, a short drive west, you have the Dolomites for walking, via-ferrata or biking. Or if you fancy a bit of culture try Venice. Camp on the Lido and take the ferry into town. It is the cheapest and best way to see a wonderful city. Or all of those things can be kept in reserve if (unusually) the water in Slovenia is low.

Enjoy

Simon

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”