Would it be possible to..........

Inland paddling
Whitey1

Would it be possible to..........

Post by Whitey1 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:07 pm

Build a modular whitewater kayak?

I've known about these:- http://kayaks.point65.com/kayaks/modular for a short while now but wouldn't it be great if you could say buy a basic 'frame' of a hull/cockpit/stern maybe sealed off and add front or stern of varying size/volume/design depending on what you're paddling? Since I'm paddling a Jackson atm I was thinking of something maybe hero size as a basis but with replaceable bow/stern to turn it into Zen or Karma or even Karma unlimited size. OK there's more to it than just sticking a bigger front and back on but you see where I'm coming from. Might even be possible to build Duo's that went back to Solo just like Point 65's sea kayaks on above link ?

The thought came to me from mountain biking where you can often start with a solid frame but dramatically increase components quality/size/performance to better perform in different terrains etc. Maybe you could even add front ends with varying rocker or stern with increased volume and 'push' ; maybe even the use of exotic materials could be adopted for race events or slalom etc. Adapt the boat to the environment instead of having a garage full of boats (nothing wrong with that I add, but expensive and cumbersome) !

I know Wavesport tried a sort of mini-version of this with their T3's a few years back but it was more of a gimmick than anything else I don't think they were too successful. Obviously there would be huge engineering problems to solve re strength compromise, watertight sealing etc but it might even be that it could make economic sense. Say for example the nose got bashed in.......just buy a new nose.

OK crazy idea but I really think that whilst all the new boats are definitely improving.....it's all a bit............... well dare I say DULL. Apart from the 9R I don't really see innovation out there. What is the next breakthrough ?

Design engineers step forward, could it be done?

Adrian Cooper

Re: Would it be possible to..........

Post by Adrian Cooper » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:15 pm

Dagger Kingpin Icon?

Whitey1

Post by Whitey1 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:33 pm

Dagger Kingpin Icon?
I didn't actually know what this was Adrian so I had to look it up. I guess that shows that the idea has been sort of tried before, but I was thinking something a lot more radical than this though, like a completely modular WW boat.

kayak1

Post by kayak1 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:51 pm

See where you are coming from..from a playboat to a Creek boat to a sea kayak..great Idea But think the kayaking manufactures today have a hard time selling what the have, apart from sit ons and rec. boats.

purelandexpeditions.com

Post by purelandexpeditions.com » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:04 pm

Ws transformer, and Pyranha had a proto years ago
Raft Kayak Trek Explore
purelandexpeditions.com

Poke

Post by Poke » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:58 pm

purelandexpeditions.com wrote:Ws transformer, and Pyranha had a proto years ago
The Pyranha Trix... Saw it at a Canoe Exhibitin many years ago... I think it later later became the Attack once they realised that having it in bits made it super heavy. Don't remember how they attached the separate bits together, but that may well have been an issue too!
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

Kelvin

Post by Kelvin » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:46 am

Pete C.

Post by Pete C. » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:23 am

Poke wrote:The Pyranha Trix ... don't remember how they attached the separate bits together, but that may well have been an issue too!
It was roof rack cam straps on the proto.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”