New helmet- what to buy?

Inland paddling
C1pete

New helmet- what to buy?

Post by C1pete » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:41 pm

Hi All,

I am looking for suggestions of helmets people think are decent and worth buying as mine needs retiring.
Criteria are:

1. Suitable for up to gd4+ riverplay (not going to be doing any ridiculous drops etc)
2. Must look good (ideally available in black because I am vain), also i don't want to look like a storm trooper, a German or worse- a club boater
3. Musn't be silly money (happy to pay for quality but happier to pay less for quality!)
4. Be comfy.

First instinct was to go for Sweet Strutter, then I saw the Predator Lee (in black carbon) which looks like a 'Rolla Cola' version and thought hmmm... maybe? Now I am wondering if that is too cheapskate and go down the middle with a sweet wanderer?

I would be interested to hear other peoples favourite buys and opinions.

Rae1

Re: New helmet- what to buy?

Post by Rae1 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:09 pm

No. 4 should be your first thought.
Get the best fitting helmet for your head, not the best looking., See if they have other colours afterwards.
I had up to £150 available to buy one, I ended up with a £40 one, as it was the bet fit, and I havent regretted it at all.

Bod Bagby

Post by Bod Bagby » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:21 pm

Why choose black? Other colours are more visible if you are swimming/pinned etc. I have a Rocker but had to borrow a wanderer for a week and actually found it more comfortable/better fit, so do try a few.

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:28 pm

Wow, you were always putting yourself up for some flak with that post!
For the record, I agree with your outlandish requirements.

I used a Strutter for years on all kinds of silly things that in hindsight, I really shoulda had a better lid for. Did me proud!
dave

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:51 pm

WW Comp is available in black, simultaneously contemporary and retro, BUT only if the one size fits all actually does fit you (there is extra padding to fit a smaller head, but if your head is too big there is no solution).

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:55 am

Buy a bright coloured one you never know when you might want someone to spot you when trapped under water.

C1pete

Post by C1pete » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:36 am

cheers for the thoughts all. The more I think about it the more I am leaning towards getting the wanderer. The newer version doesn't look quite as ugly as some of the early ones and although it is nowhere near as snappy as the Strutter, it does look like it will give a lot better protection.

purelandexpeditions.com

Post by purelandexpeditions.com » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:48 am

Agree with Dave - black is a no-no, hard t see if trapped under water, as is white.

Sweet are the industry standard - end of discussion.
Raft Kayak Trek Explore
purelandexpeditions.com

Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:09 am

Sweet Trooper, can be found for £130 or less & in a multitude of colours....

C
Jackson Nirvana, BMW F650GS...

buck197

Post by buck197 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:43 am

Agree that black is not a very visible colour, looking at what you need a helmet for then surely safety of your head is the first and possibly only important criteria. As discussed above Sweet are the market leaders and I love my Rocker, worth every penny as I only have one head and it's the most important part of you.
Brian Taylor
Paddle Pirates

Poke

Post by Poke » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:44 am

+1 for a non-black (or white helmet).

During this incident, Dave was probably <6” under the water, but we couldn’t see anything. His boat was dark green, his helmet was white. We tried all sorts of rope throwing etc, but nothing worked. We were just gearing up to live bait in when he ‘washed free’. But - the live bait would have been a shot in the dark given we couldn’t see where he was. A bright helmet ‘might’ not have helped us, but equally it might. OK, so you say you’re not planning on doing anything of this grade, but similar accidents can happen on easier water.

If the likes of Mr Manby and Daz are advocating bright helmets, I don’t think you need worry about looking like a ‘club boater’ in something that isn’t black :-)
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

purelandexpeditions.com

Post by purelandexpeditions.com » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:25 am

wear pink....
Raft Kayak Trek Explore
purelandexpeditions.com

feedbackproblem

Post by feedbackproblem » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:44 am

I was lucky to get off with just concussion when I got a hit to the head just below the back of my Strutter. I think that choosing the Wanderer is a good choice.

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:14 pm

I am an advocate of the SR Standard. Great helmet that offers loads of protection and does not break the bank.

Denzil

C1pete

Post by C1pete » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:54 am

thanks for the tip on the SR - would definately hurt the bank account less. Still slightly concerned about the safety side though.

Franky

Post by Franky » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:52 am

C1pete wrote:thanks for the tip on the SR - would definately hurt the bank account less. Still slightly concerned about the safety side though.
From personal experience I can say that the SR Standard can take some abuse.

Have had mine for 2 years. It has endured many knocks on river rocks, and on Lee Valley blocks/concrete, and it is still in one piece (as is my head).

Mind you I've not "tested" it by banging my head on grade 4 rocks.

TwoHats

Post by TwoHats » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:11 am

FNA head gear are good, distinctive, tailor made helmets.

Steve Agar

Post by Steve Agar » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:21 am

Absolutely agree with a bright helmet if you're stuck partially submerged - been there, done that and possibly only here because of a red helmet. I bought a WRSI Current helmet last year - very comfortable and works a treat, as I find some others too tight on the temples.

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:09 am

Steve Agar wrote:Absolutely agree with a bright helmet if you're stuck partially submerged - been there, done that and possibly only here because of a red helmet. I bought a WRSI Current helmet last year - very comfortable and works a treat, as I find some others too tight on the temples.
Below House Rock on the Coruh. Rescued by Slime if I remember correctly

Chris C

Post by Chris C » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:19 pm

It would be worth trying on all the lids mentioned, some may not fit your head as well as others. £160 Helmet is as useful as chocolate team pot if it don't fit. Bright is good, you can spot Daz a mile away in his pink strutter!

Wadhamite

Post by Wadhamite » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:03 am

Franky wrote:From personal experience I can say that the SR Standard can take some abuse.

Have had mine for 2 years. It has endured many knocks on river rocks, and on Lee Valley blocks/concrete, and it is still in one piece (as is my head).

Mind you I've not "tested" it by banging my head on grade 4 rocks.
My Shred Ready Half Cut has taken a lot of abuse on both Lee Valley courses and in the Alps and Lakes on g3/4, including bouncing head first on a block and smacking the very back of my head. It's pretty scratched up now, but no signs of any cracks three years on. I used to have a Protec B2, and that didn't cover the back of my skull. So glad I got the SR before I bashed myself! Worth trying it to make sure it's big enough for your head before you buy, I would say, and that it comes as far down the back of your head as you would like.
LV induction guide: http://tmblr.co/ZIurAvTdASgQ

Wadhamite

Post by Wadhamite » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:07 am

Hmm - looks like Shred Ready may have stopped making the Standard. Get one while you still can! https://shredready.com/product-category ... ets/water/

It'll be a sad day when I have to replace mine :/
LV induction guide: http://tmblr.co/ZIurAvTdASgQ

Franky

Post by Franky » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:05 am

Wadhamite wrote:Hmm - looks like Shred Ready may have stopped making the Standard. Get one while you still can! https://shredready.com/product-category ... ets/water/

It'll be a sad day when I have to replace mine :/
Possibly they are simply out of stock and need to make some more.

Sue's Canoes say they'll have some in March 2016:

http://www.suescanoes.co.uk/Helmets/All ... d-Half-Cut

flashollie

Post by flashollie » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:50 am

Where can you get the FNA lids from? I have thought about one when my rocker gets retired but I can't find a website.

TwoHats

Post by TwoHats » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:39 pm

Fnaheadgear.com

hbcanoekayak

Post by hbcanoekayak » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:39 pm

The Shred Ready 2016 shipment is due around the 30th March so will probably be in stores early April.

We have a few Standard Half Cuts left in Pearl White or Flash Green - Shred Ready Helmets Here

The WRSI Helmets have also been a very popular option this year especially with the introduction of the Current Pro which gives the Current a Sweet Rocker like appearance.

Junior

Post by Junior » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:33 pm

+1 for Shred Ready Half Cut.

I changed mine after a few years use for a Sweet Strutter and its nowhere near as comfortable or offer as much protection. The Shred Ready was also half the price.

C1pete

Post by C1pete » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:23 am

I ended up putting my hand in my pocket and getting a Rocker in the end. So far very impressed with the comfort and quality!

Poke

Post by Poke » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:20 am

C1pete wrote:I ended up putting my hand in my pocket and getting a Rocker in the end. So far very impressed with the comfort and quality!
Style or safety?
(Black or Jazzy)
;-)
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

C1pete

Post by C1pete » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:02 pm

I went for the compromise- better/safer helmet but in black for style. Going to put some bright stickers on though to customise and make more visible.

I see your from Wigan Poke- do you get out paddling many weekends? I am trying to make some paddle buddies in the area that have similar interests. I have been out of the sport for ages and most of the guys I used to paddle with aren't active anymore so I have just been heading down to HPP solo to brush up on skills but would love to get out and do the odd river trip.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”