Taping shoulders - best tape?

Inland paddling
DaveBland

Taping shoulders - best tape?

Post by DaveBland »

I'm old so obviously falling apart.

I was thinking of adding some support to my shoulder whilst paddling by taping it up. Anyone else do this and know of the best [support/waterproof] etc tape to use?
dave

Cabbagepatchkid

Re: Taping shoulders - best tape?

Post by Cabbagepatchkid »

I know shoulder supports can be very expensive.

I gave my knee/thigh extra support with with brand duck tape in my mid teens playing rugby through an injury.

I imagine it would be relatively waterproof and it stays on pretty good with sweat underneath it too.

I think taping your shoulder at all might be difficult, due to the range of movement at the joint I think it would be difficult to get the tape to stay put. It's been done but I've never done it personally.

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

Thanks, yeah duct tape works well on some areas. I sprained my wrist just before a Corsica trip and paddled the whole two weeks with, in essence, a duct tape plaster cast on it. But shoulders are trickier. I have seen folks with 'sports tape' type stuff on all sorts of joints. I guess it's something like this I need, but super waterproof for playing polo. On rivers it's under a dry suit so waterproof not such an issue.
dave

feedbackproblem

Post by feedbackproblem »

Are you thinking of kinesiology tape? I ended up being taped up a few years ago by a physiotherapist to allow me to continue on a paddling holiday after I damaged my rotator cuff. I think that the tape stayed in place for about a week (it;'s heat activated and waterproof) and gave a surprising amount of support and helped with posture correction. That said, it extended most of the way down my back, up my neck, across my spine and halfway down my upper arm in a very complicated pattern and there's no way that it was something that anyone could ever hope to apply to themselves even if they knew what they were doing.

Wadhamite

Post by Wadhamite »

DaveBland wrote:Thanks, yeah duct tape works well on some areas. I sprained my wrist just before a Corsica trip and paddled the whole two weeks with, in essence, a duct tape plaster cast on it. But shoulders are trickier. I have seen folks with 'sports tape' type stuff on all sorts of joints. I guess it's something like this I need, but super waterproof for playing polo. On rivers it's under a dry suit so waterproof not such an issue.
I use the white zinc oxide tape you see climbers using on their hands. I find it quite hard to get hold of though. Boots/Superdrug flesh colour zinc oxide just isn't as waterproof. There's also a brand called Leukoplast that's supposed to be waterproof, I think that's what some physios use - if it's what my physio used, it'll last a week of showers. Beware though: you've got a high chance of it irritating your skin it you wear zince oxide tape continuously. First a rash, then itchiness!
LV induction guide: http://tmblr.co/ZIurAvTdASgQ

ef33

Post by ef33 »

I too have tried kinesiology tape when suffering from a bad case of tennis elbow. Was not too expensive, at least when compared to physio and oestopath sessions. If it's just colourful witch craft so be it, it seemed to help turn the corner at the time . I did end up in long sleeves over the summer as I looked like I'd been tattooed by blue bandaid. There are sites that suggest you could do for myself. They did show me, which had some success. A shoulder may be a harder proposition. I don't recall taking any particular care keeping dry but wasn't able to paddle so would just have been shower related. The other tape I've used on elbows and ankles is cohesive tape. Sticks to itself not the skin, you can take off and reapply. But probably not so great when wet and stretched. I use to put on tight and on outside of my Cag so I could tighten / loosen as required.

Strad

Post by Strad »

Knees and elbows I've used insulation tape, shoulders are definitely going to be trickier.

Have you considered a compression top that includes longish sleeves before taping? I know it depends on how much support you want.
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

TwoHats

Post by TwoHats »

Have you tried something like this?

http://www.physioroom.com/product/Ultim ... Gwod0_INsQ

flashollie

Post by flashollie »

http://www.kttape.com/

is the stuff you want. Thats the easy bit the trick is taping up up right so you have enough movement to paddle but not that it restricts and put other areas at risk.
I had mine taped using this when I started back paddling after a dislocation by one of the physios at work and we checked I could paddle with a broom handle as they layered it on..

There are videos on that website so I am sure you can just follow the general shoulder one and it should be better than nowt.

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

Thanks all! Yup - knowing its called Kineseology tape did the trick.
And yes, knowing that there are loads of vids obline (all different) of ways to tape it. Just what I was after so thanks.
That brace is hardcore. I will leave that as a plan b!
dave

mostly_upsidedown

Post by mostly_upsidedown »

Problems with tape:
Difficult to tape shoulders in an anatomically sensible and useful way. Really difficult to do it yourself. Will you be bothered to do it every time? Will you always have access to someone with the expertise to do it exactly right? Will it stay on all day (not usually)? Are you going to get half naked on the side of the river and get yourself retaped? Are you going to shave enough body hair to make it possible to remove without squealing a lot?

In other words... get a brace. The EVS SB02 is good (the more expensive versions have impact protection but are otherwise similar). Can put it on yourself, is adjustable. Potential for a bit of nipple chafe. But if you google 'runner's nipple guards' you'll find out all you need to know about that without ending up in the scarier bits of the internet.

Myles

Post by Myles »

I'm guessing you have already tried this but worth getting some Therabands and getting some advice about various exercises to strengthen the shoulders.
I find these make a big difference to shoulder stability.

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper »

My son used Strength Tape when he had an issue last year. Looks good and waterproof. Might be worth trying

Wets

Post by Wets »

I've used tape for several different activities over the years, most recently kayaking. The stuff I use is this:

http://www.firstaid4sport.co.uk/Steropl ... Kit-P4585/

I put it on as I was shown by a physio about 15 years ago (or rather my wife/paddling buddy puts it on me). Worth paying a physio to show you how it's done in the flesh. Mine has 2 bits, one over the top and one horizontally round the side. I find the most benefit from it comes from it acting as a reminder to keep good posture when static or performing planned movements. I'm not convinced of its benefits when moving quickly or instinctively, which is probably when most shoulder impingement occurs, such as at times when whitewater kayaking, and no amount of tape can protect against a bad high brace! After a few hours it stretches too, so needs new each day. And getting it off is a bastard!

On balance I think it helped me get through a pretty full on week in the Alps. If put on properly on dry skin it stays on when wet/sweaty. Hope this helps

GlennT

Post by GlennT »

I injured my superspinator, rotator cuff a little while ago boating a few years back. I took time out from boating to rest it and did physio and gym work to recuperate. I havent had an op as apart from the initial injury I now no longer have any pain. I now wear a good sports progression top every time I go boating or do any gym or exercise. It may well be psychosomatic, but I feel that my whole upper body has a level of 'support' that is not there when I'm not wearing the top. The compression top also helps to 'warm up' the body alot quicker to so that the muscles, etc, are perhaps less prone to injury particularly in cold weather/copnditions, than they would otherwise be.

Check out sports pursuit for some good deals on compression gear. I went for some decent compression gear, such as Skins; there is a lot of cheaper stuff out there but it's less supportive and imho no as good.

Glenn

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

Thanks everyone for the advice.
I have a shoulder impingement that has been kind of healed with Fizzy-o and exercise and I'm sure is well on the way to being fully useable again.
I played polo for the first time again this week and it held up okay, but I'm not up to full strength so time will tell.
I will look into all the suggestions and do some googlin' around.
I'll update any results on here too just in case it's relevant to anyone else's situation.

thanks again all!
dave

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

oh yeah... forgot all about updating this...

So after a season of playing polo on it, my throw is back to nearly it's original pitiful but sometimes effective state. Using Ibrupofen always helps. Paddling speed is back to normal and it feels okay, but there is a constant nag of not pain, but just something a bit off.

River season just starting so that will be the real test. Taping didn't seem to make a big difference to actual paddling, but I think it served as a reminder to go easy. I don't think tape alone will actually hold anything in place enough to stop an injury if put under paddling strain.

The most important thing is what they say... keep doing the strengthening exercises and generally steady weights under controlled movements. It's the jerky stuff that seems to be the issue so if you can get stability using controlled movements, the strength is there when a sudden one comes along to hold it all together.

Let's see how it does on the Spilli at the weekend...
dave

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”