Dry Cag Selection?

Inland paddling
no-no

Dry Cag Selection?

Post by no-no » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:09 pm

Hi, My son got some vouchers for wetsuit outlet for xmas....

We're down to a choice of four cags for paddling in jan/feb.....opinions?

yak dare
yak zero
palm kinetic
palm vertigo

jamiemagee

Re: Dry Cag Selection?

Post by jamiemagee » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:14 pm

Personally I'd stay away from palm. The palm kit I've had hasn't worn well at all

Kayak-Bloke

Post by Kayak-Bloke » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:41 pm

I'd echo the above. I used to be head to toe in Palm but just had too many bad experiences with the quality of their kit. I no longer buy anything from them.
The final straw was a short sleeved cag which every single taped seem came loose just after the warrenty expired.
I look after my kit but with Palm it didn't seem to matter.
Yak stuff seems good for the money.

kayak1

Post by kayak1 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:54 pm

I recently got a yak Zero..Brilliant Fit..Good quality and similar spec to the more top end ones...

Mark Dixon

Post by Mark Dixon » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:55 pm

Had similar experiences with Palm gear, the tape doesnt seem to last long and peels off pretty quickly, the product didnt last long either. My Palm Gradient shoes are also delaminating pretty quickly. not sure about th Yak stuff youve mentioned but I know the Yak Maverick is a nice bit of kit.
Mark

cp

Post by cp » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:06 pm

I agree to stay away from palm, do you want a dry cag or semidry as you are looking at both, if dry I would second the maverick and spend the extra if possible, the fabric is much more durable.
Chris

Franky

Post by Franky » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:56 pm

Sorry to report that I have had bad experiences with Palm kit too.

Zenith shorty cag, not worn more than 30 times, and rarely for a whole day: a seam in the neck came unstitched after a year.

Flow long cag: every taped seam came off simultaneously, after 18 months.

Recently bought a Peak Freeride semi-dry longy cag. Don't know how long it'll last but it feels of better quality than the Palm cags. It's made of lighter, nicer-feeling material, and it keeps water out very well - I've had several dunkings without getting my base layers wet.

I don't like the colours of the Peak kit that much, but quality's the main consideration.

jamiemagee

Post by jamiemagee » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:39 pm

My yak conquest cag feels great quality. I'd certainly go for the yaks

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:32 pm

Immersion Research are really good. This is a well priced dry cag.

http://www.immersionresearch.eu/product ... x-dry-top/

Although just realised that doesn't help with Wetsuit Outlet!

Hakase

Post by Hakase » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:55 pm

Going to second that -- just got a new IR cag and couldn't be happier! Dry as a bone.

ali

Post by ali » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:07 am

On a positive note for palm their customer service is fantastic. The seam tapes peeled off my semi dry cag and even though it was a year past warranty I got a replacement for free. The original was in excellent condition as had only had 2 weeks paddling.

jamiemagee

Post by jamiemagee » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:02 pm

Sadly when I contacted them about my trousers they said I could send them to be repaired at a cost :(

no-no

Post by no-no » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:21 pm

Went for a yak cag in the end, arrives tommorrow.

Thanks for the advice folks.

MatimusX

Post by MatimusX » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:04 pm

The Palm Kinetic was superb value for money in its day, even more so now I imagine as it'll be being sold off! The one I had was amazingly dry for a semi-dry cag and bombproof for a good couple of years, and I was a newbie then so swimming lots! Palm's customer service is also top notch.

For modern designs, I've tried a fair few brands and only been completely satisfied with Immersion Research, every piece of whitewater kit I use these days is made by them.
Let's go boating!

no-no

Post by no-no » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:23 pm

What is the difference between semi dry and dry?

Plenty of semi dry cags have latex seals so is it just down to the quality of the fabric?

MatimusX

Post by MatimusX » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:30 pm

The difference is usually just the neck seal, sometimes the wrist seals or the bicep seals on a shorty too - on a semi-dry they're made of neoprene instead of latex; it's more comfortable but less dry if you're in a powerful feature like a hole, doesn't make much difference when there isn't a lot of water pressure involved.
Let's go boating!

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:05 pm

My IR dry cag failed after very little use. Unfortunately I bought it from a certain North West outlet shortly before they closed down and so sorting it out became complicated and I didn't follow it through. They do have a UK based warehouse/service centre nowadays which I wasn't aware of when I had my issues so there is no reason to believe that there would be any problems getting things sorted out these days. These days I would only go to Peak, the fabrics and construction are top-notch and the customer service is excellent.
it's not a playboat, it's a river runner

MatimusX

Post by MatimusX » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:44 pm

davebrads wrote:My IR dry cag failed after very little use. Unfortunately I bought it from a certain North West outlet shortly before they closed down and so sorting it out became complicated and I didn't follow it through. They do have a UK based warehouse/service centre nowadays which I wasn't aware of when I had my issues so there is no reason to believe that there would be any problems getting things sorted out these days. These days I would only go to Peak, the fabrics and construction are top-notch and the customer service is excellent.
I used to work at the location you mention, from what I remember the IR stock at that point had been around a while - they haven't sold through shops for a very long time, and their quality has vastly improved since. Customer service is ace too as it's pretty much just a handful of staff on the UK side, all of which are paddlers and pretty switched on. I do rate Peak stuff almost as highly though!
Let's go boating!

Mark Mulrain

Post by Mark Mulrain » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:01 pm

davebrads wrote:Unfortunately I bought it from a certain North West outlet shortly before they closed down and so sorting it out became complicated and I didn't follow it through. They do have a UK based warehouse/service centre nowadays which I wasn't aware of when I had my issues so there is no reason to believe that there would be any problems getting things sorted out these days.
IR would love to help you out with that Dave, regardless of where it was purchased. If it's a warranty issue, it's a warranty issue. Please drop an email to eusales@immersionresearch.com

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”