Helmet for a 60cm head?

Inland paddling
babaton

Helmet for a 60cm head?

Post by babaton »

I've been wearing a shred reasy full cut but I find it's just too tight even with the padding removed. It pinches at the side of my head.

Looking at their sizing chart it's supposed to fit up to 62cm. Maybe I have a funny shaped head. I was also looking at the wrsi current but that only goes up to 60cm so I fear that could be even worse. Is the shred ready generally considered a tight helmet? Are ther any other helmets worth looking at in that price range? I have been looking at the bern/artistic baker although I'm not sure if it's compliant with saftey standards or not.

jam bo

Re: Helmet for a 60cm head?

Post by jam bo »

An XL sweet strutter fits my rather large head (62cm). Other XL sweet helmets don't though.

Big Dee

Post by Big Dee »

^ same as above. The rocker half cut felt tight as did the full face. Not uncomfortably tight, but I could tell it wasn't right
Born to paddle, forced to work!

no-no

Post by no-no »

might have to shell out a bit more than I'd planned to then, shame it doesn't have ear protection....I'm likely to need it. There seem to be a plethora of snowboarding helmets out there, its so unfair.
Last edited by no-no on Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gawage1

Post by Gawage1 »

My head is too big for the XL sweet Rocker & Wanderer. But my WRSI fits perfectly

LucyLou19

Post by LucyLou19 »

I feel your pain.

My L/XL strutter is comfy, wanderer like a vice on my head, full face strutter tight but doable, predator slalom helmet comfy.

davebrads

Post by davebrads »

The Protec Classic Full Cut has been around for years (at least it looks the same model) and was always the go-to helmet for the larger head. Not so stylish but not a bad helmet for the price, makes you look a bit old school too.
it's not a playboat, it's a river runner

no-no

Post by no-no »

Would the protec perform as well as a bern baker? Aren't they old style soft spongy things?

I've read a few threads on here about the bern/artistic helmets....it comes with a multi impact foam but some people have been saying that it's not certified for whitewater use? Can't find much about the helmets themselves as it all seems to be in german.

There are a few new ones on ebay at tempting prices but if they aren't up to the job then I'll stay away.

davebrads

Post by davebrads »

Not having looked at a new one I can't be sure, but from the pictures it looks as if it uses the same spongy foam that has always been fitted. The shell is fairly sturdy though, and it has been well tested over the years with people bouncing down rivers on their heads.

It isn't going to take a big hit in the same way as a Sweet Rocker is, or even a Wanderer, but it should be fine for most grade 3/4 rivers, and quite a lot of 5s too.

I can't compare to the Bern never having seen one, but looking at their website it seems to have a thin shell with quite technical foam as far as I can tell, which might be OK for a single big hit but less useful for the multiple minor hits that are more common in kayaking.
it's not a playboat, it's a river runner

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

Wow, never even considered this would be a thing - what with my tiny head and brain. Seems crazy manufacturers don't do helmets for folks with big brains.
Maybe they assume you have to be a muppet to paddle?
dave

babaton

Post by babaton »

I think it's more that my skull is thick rather than my brain being large.

Think I'll try out a wrsi and protec over the weekend. Thought I could put up with the shred ready but after 2 days on the river my head was very sore in places.

babaton

Post by babaton »

where can I try on protec? near dorset......

Quite like this....cos of the ear protection and peak.......64cm and up!
http://www.roho.co.uk/watersports/Prote ... t----.html

don't want vents though.

John K

Post by John K »

I have a large head and use a Peak Predator Centre Sidecut. It's not cool and groovy but is comfortable, inexpensive and gives decent protection. Might be worth a try?

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”