Where to store crutches

Inland paddling
lora may

Where to store crutches

Post by lora may » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:11 am

I know that the title sounds a bit mad but I am a disabled paddler and up to now I have to use sticks folded up in a dry bag or since I have bought a katana in the hatch. The problem is that I am finding that I need to use crutches and although they come apart not enough to go into the hatch so where do I store them. I quite frequently take a swim so
1. They have to be out of the way so that whilst I am padding they don't get in the way
2. That when I do end up swimming that I don't get my legs spray deck etc caught up in them
3. They don't float so they need to be secured in some way
Thanks

Big Dee

Re: Where to store crutches

Post by Big Dee » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:13 am

Can't you strap them to the deck of the boat?
Born to paddle, forced to work!

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:45 am

The late great Dave Higson - Polio - used to strap his to the deck with shock cord. He had the traditional long wood crutches. We did several trips together. This involved drilling holes in the deck and being careful not to puncture airbags! Here's a photo from a trip to Morocco back in 1986. Can't remember the name of the river offhand. Image

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:31 pm

You might be better off with a longer boat, they would then fit on the deck under the elastics with the ends in those little 'shorts' some people use for stowing their paddles. Storrington is not so far away, you would be welcome to join Portsmouth Canoe Club for a harbour paddle.

Colin C

Post by Colin C » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:59 pm

As someone suggested you can store them in a similar fashion as on a sea boat, under elastics or use some waste pipe secured to the back of the boat, as a tube to put the end of the crutch through, this is presuming that you are using the boat on open water, as it may present a snag hazard on moving water with trees about. The other option I suppose is to get some kind person to machine you a lightweight crutch which is telescopic and would take up less space but would take a bit a time to assemble.

Colin

lora may

Post by lora may » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:34 pm

Thanks for the suggestions but I have been told not to strap them to the outside of the boat because of the chance of getting caught when I capsize either by me as I exit the boat or on the river also that it would be an obstacle to the people trying rescue me

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:56 pm

Dave Higson never had this problem - I think your advisers are seeing hypothetical problems rather than real risks. Though Dave was a very good paddler, premier slalom paddler he did swim more than most in our group as he could not grip himself into his boat because of his polio. In all my time paddling with him Corsica, Morocco, Turkey, French Alps, Tarn region Grand Canyon Costa Rica he never got caught up on his crutches nor did they interfere with our rescues of him.

I once was with Dave when he threw his crutches over a drop so that should he swim and lose his boat he would have his crutches to walk out! This was the 11m drop on the Ritzenaise not your average drop!

buck197

Post by buck197 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:03 pm

What type of paddling are you doing? I know people who have two piece splits that fit in the back of their boat with the airbag trapping them in.
Brian Taylor
Paddle Pirates

garya

Post by garya » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:24 am

Not sure what type of crutches you are using. The Hatch size may be the problem. We normally mark up the ones we use and take them apart putting them behind seats within the group. the other option may be to modify a spare set set with an additional spigot to split them near the handle, I take it is the top half of the crutch is the problem where the handle and arm cuff are ?

pm me with some more details and pics and I will chat with people I know to see what modification or alternatives are out there.

We found breaking up a foam woggle into bits and ramming it down the open tube helps with floating issue, keeping the rubber foot on can be a real challenge too

Gary Archer

Spamalot

Post by Spamalot » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:38 am

What kind of crutches are you using if you don't mind me asking. Are they the long ones that go under your armpits or the ones that use go around your forearms? If they are the latter have you though about getting the crutches that can be split into three pieces?

lora may

Post by lora may » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:30 am

They are elbow crutches that go around your arm that the bit that is the snag hazzard they come apart in to 3 bits but because of the hatch I can't feed them down by the airbags and yes I keep losing the rubber feet

Strad

Post by Strad » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:29 am

Dave Manby wrote: Though Dave was a very good paddler, premier slalom paddler !
He was a good polo player too, although I didn't see him often, I still half expect to see him every time I go near the Dee.
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

Poke

Post by Poke » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:48 pm

It sounds like you have a boat with a bulkhead just behind the seat?
You have two options:

1) Since they break down, would they not fit in pretty much any boat without a bulkhead, as per a pair of splits? Solution: Buy a new boat without a bulkhead.

2) As suggested above, strapping them to the deck would present a small snagging risk. However, if you do have a boat with bulkheads, I'm guessing you don't use this on white-water (at least, not anything too difficult). If this is the case, I'd do as suggested above and strap them onto the back. This may be a bit more sketchy on whitewater given the presence of trees etc, but can't see it being an issue on flat/easy whitewater.
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

garya

Post by garya » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:11 pm

Maybe it would be good to consider the thought that strapping crutches to the outside of the boat may not be appropriate for other reasons... or what a paddler may desire.. everyone is unique and so are paddlers.

They are there to enjoy the river with friends.. the movement and the freedom that the water gives and its playful and dynamic nature.

Paddling gives everyone that opportunity to experience that independently and on their own terms as a "paddler".. no more no less.

Gary Archer
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/

frazerp

Post by frazerp » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:35 pm

Could you change your seat? I've seen split blades carried down the sides of a seat. Pretty solid and keeps the weight central too. Plus you can get good length pieces in as you have the full cockpit hole for access.

Frazer

Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:10 pm

Do you need to have them or could they be stored in a friends bulkheadless boat??

That way, if you did lose your boat the crutches would still be available

C
Jackson Nirvana, BMW F650GS...

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:43 pm

Is there any chance that the parts with the arm brace would fit in the bow of the boat? Either wedged next to the airbag or in a drybag that works as an airbag. Just an idea - I can see it's not ideal as I think you'd need to get them past the footrest, and although that might ensure they can't come out of the boat, it would be a hassle when you needed them.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”