Has anyone got anything positive out of all this flooding?

Inland paddling
Wadhamite

Has anyone got anything positive out of all this flooding?

Post by Wadhamite »

Anyone paddled anything normally unrunnable or something totally huge amid all the destruction and devastation?

Going up to the Lakes next weekend and looking forward to spending my pennies in any flooded pubs/coffee shops that have reopened. I will be asking Santa to find something nice for the local mountain rescue team too.
LV induction guide: http://tmblr.co/ZIurAvTdASgQ

Richp86

Re: Has anyone got anything positive out of all this floodin

Post by Richp86 »

We paddled the Dee (Deebizi) at Llangollen at the weekend, which to us amateurs was quite an experience :)

Neptune

Post by Neptune »

Sunday, Oughtershaw Beck into the Upper Wharf on stonking levels, I really enjoyed it, best day out I have had in a while.

Neptune

Post by Neptune »

...and I was paddling a Topo as I split my Nomad the week before, so different.

morsey

Post by morsey »

Saw a bunch of positives in the news feed for my friends who went and provided rescue services in the lakes with RNLI.

ruralweb

Post by ruralweb »

I would be very careful about paddling up here in the lakes as the emergency services are under great pressure and if you get into trouble on the water it will not be appreciated. We have stopped paddling until it has all calmed down TBH
Mal

goatboy

Post by goatboy »

Here in Yorkshire, we've got a new waterfall:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-yo ... e-35026529

Only a matter of time before someone claims that, with a decent boof, it will run fine ...

g.b.

garya

Post by garya »

I am sorry to say that I find the tone and choice of phrases used in this post a little ill advised and unfortunate... I think some thing may have been lost in the original meaning of what was intended.

I don't know if I am alone in this.. and I really feel that it is a post the may best permanently removed or just replaced with something more suitable discussing record rain fall and high river levels in more measured tones with due regard to the many people and families affected by the floods so close to Christmas

Just my personal thoughts

Gary Archer

Mark Dixon

Post by Mark Dixon »

garya wrote:I am sorry to say that I find the tone and choice of phrases used in this post a little ill advised and unfortunate... I think some thing may have been lost in the original meaning of what was intended.

I don't know if I am alone in this.. and I really feel that it is a post the may best permanently removed or just replaced with something more suitable discussing record rain fall and high river levels in more measured tones with due regard to the many people and families affected by the floods so close to Christmas

Just my personal thoughts

Gary Archer
Your not alone Gary, I seen some photos yesterday on FB of a paddler surfing a wave with a road below it, probably some random rocks that had been washed down. I didnt comment on it as the lad was quite young and probably didnt think about the carnage that happened. I think its distasteful when people in Cumbria have lost so much....

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

Call me a complete bar steward, but I disagree.
Of course it's devastating for those affected by the flooding's damage, but despite that there has been some great water with many rarely run rivers coming into condition and a few stonking flood epics.
I don't think it's inappropriate to ask about and discuss those on a paddling forum.
Totally agree with Ruralweb's point about not paddling when services are stretched, and that's a greatly responsible attitude and worth sharing.

Personally, I'd love to live vicariously through anyone's big water flood footage, so please pm me with any links...
dave

garya

Post by garya »

I think it was really the opening line and the word "amid" that is open to misinterpretation.. Rather than the usual general discussion about high levels and video
Anyone paddled anything normally unrunnable or something totally huge amid all the destruction and devastation?

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

We'll have to disagree – I read her OP as nothing but considerate, compassionate and generous.
dave

Mark Dixon

Post by Mark Dixon »

I think if the runs are well away from towns and villages caught up in the destruction then fair enough, however I personally feel its better PR to avoid being seen with boats "amidst" the area, North Wales has been running for the entire period so it may be a better option for boating at this time.
It only takes one journalist or Cameraman to write a story or report negatively about kayakers.
Just my opinion.
Mark

callwild

Post by callwild »

DaveBland wrote:Call me a complete bar steward, but I disagree.
Of course it's devastating for those affected by the flooding's damage, but despite that there has been some great water with many rarely run rivers coming into condition and a few stonking flood epics.
I don't think it's inappropriate to ask about and discuss those on a paddling forum.
Totally agree with Ruralweb's point about not paddling when services are stretched, and that's a greatly responsible attitude and worth sharing.

Personally, I'd love to live vicariously through anyone's big water flood footage, so please pm me with any links...
I agree with Dave on this.

I am a paddler who lives in the middle of one of the worst affected villages near Keswick and have spent many days over the last week involved with rescuing people from their homes during a very scary weekend, clearing out homes and belongings which have been devestated by water and mud and clearing major trees blockages from affected rivers to make safe for floods.
However I do not think for one minute that to go paddling and make use of the high water is disrespectful, once the intial problems have been dealt with and one makes sure not to cause further problems by requiring rescue !!
I personally chose to help where I could because it was my community and I was in a position to help, but I do not begrudge those that chose to play.

We are grateful for any help we can get and we see people driving from Birmingham to drop off food and help clear houses, we see kayakers fro Manchester coming to help clear log jams.
Are the people saying we should not paddle in Cumbria actually getting up here to help or just moaning?

No one is in a position to judge on what others do as know one knows the full story. The same person who paddled a river in flood may well have been helping emergency services for days and then has a bit of relaxation. You just don't know.

So how long do you have to wait for it to be alright?
When is it too high to paddle?
The answers are different for everybody so come down from those ivory towers come paddling and spend money in the affected communities.

Oh by the way, I hear one of the bidges down on the Greta is definite portage due to lots of nasty metal in the river.

Franky

Post by Franky »

I tend to agree with Dave B. It's more of a PR issue than a moral one.

Whether someone paddles on the Swale or at Lee Valley, they're having fun while people are suffering. Nevertheless, it's not as though they're actively benefitting from that suffering.

If anyone really wants to wear a hair shirt, shouldn't they avoid paddling altogether until the damage is repaired?

I agree it would be tactless to paddle right through devastated villages, but surely there are plenty of rivers that are running high away from them.

As for the tone of the original post... It sounded fairly sympathetic to me. To suggest that it should be permanently removed seems to be taking self-censorship a little far. Just my opinion.

Mr Hoppy

Post by Mr Hoppy »

I think amidst was used in a temporal rather than spatial sense.

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

Mr Hoppy wrote:I think amidst was used in a temporal rather than spatial sense.
Eloquent and accurate wisdom.
dave

Wadhamite

Post by Wadhamite »

Yes, amid meant 'at the same time as', not in the middle of Glenridding. I have friends in the Lakes, I know that it's crushing for them. But when facebook is full of photos and videos of huge water, I found it odd that no one here was discussing them. That's why I made the comment that I will be doing the only thing most paddlers can do to help, certainly the only thing I personally can do: go up there once it's safe again (and when my friends and I won't burden the amazing MRTs) and spend some money, on kit, bunkhouses and pub dinners etc. Frankly, that's what Cumbria needs right now: lots of tourist cash. If everyone stays away at Christmas, many local businesses will (and already have) lose out at a time of the year when they make a profit to get them through the lean periods.

Apologies if the FP came across as insensitive, it was NOT meant to! This is the problem of there being no tone of voice on the internet.

Wadhamite

Post by Wadhamite »

callwild wrote: Oh by the way, I hear one of the bidges down on the Greta is definite portage due to lots of nasty metal in the river.
Thanks for the tip, this was one of the rivers we were considering for next week.

Jim

Post by Jim »

I needed some timber for a project, I put off ordering last weekend because it was the weekend, I was busy and my supplier would be closed. Then I heard about all the flooding, and the collapse of Pooley Bridge - my supplier is about 3 miles from there. Monday morning I opened up facebook and lo and behold they had put an offer up that morning, so I placed my order right away - the last thing businesses in the lakes need right now is people witholding their custom, if my entire contribution is placing an order it's probably still better than doing nothing. As it happens one item was out of stock so they tried to call me about a substitution and then I tried to call them back but they were really busy - when I finally got through the guy explained that they were a bit short staffed (no surprise!) but otherwise it was business as usual. We sorted out a substitution and my order arrived the next day, beating a lot of christmas shopping that was ordered before the weekend.

There will be some people still distraught over the damage to their property etc. but most people will be trying to get back to normal, which for a lot of businesses in the lakes means catering for tourists - best plan is to go and support them if you can, but do be sensitive where appropriate - especially if you encounter roadworks and diversions.

morsey

Post by morsey »

Me grabbing some rain fall:

Me buddy Nige grabbing a moment of calm during a long weekender in the Lakes:

Teddy Tim

Post by Teddy Tim »

Thanks Callwild,

Totally agree with what you say! I used my dry suit to its best use in Eamont Bridge, stood in a living room waste deep at midnight on the Saturday night of the floods helping people salvage their belongings, just watching their family belongings float around their living room wasn't the best feeling for them or me especially when I was just a stranger helping them out,but we did what we could at the time and it was much appreciated when we turned up the next day to see if them and others needed more help.

Days passed by and we were itching to get back onto our local run the Greta our playground, just to see how the river had changed and changed it has. Since the floods I've run it several times from low to huge levels and its new rapids are wicked , and it is nice to see other boaters appearing to run it again.( the gauge needs recalibrating so not giving true readings)

We need people back in our communities now, the lakes survives on visitors we/you can't sit around waiting and wondering what people might think, I've my own retail business in Keswick and been there 12 years and since the floods I'm over 60% down in taking over the past 3 weeks as nobody is coming ,so not happy times and I wasn't even flooded. Keswick and the Lake District are open for business you may have to take some little detours hee and there but come and run our rivers and spend some money in our towns please.
Tim

Neptune

Post by Neptune »

Tim,

Nice to hear that you put your dry suit to good use to help others in your own local community but sorry to hear that you business is suffering due to lack of visitors to the lakes.

I have been up a couple of times, but not to paddle, my Mum's was flooded again for the second time in 6 years, much worse this time though, she has lost absolutely everything in the house, the water was much higher than last time, it just happened so fast.

I went out and paddled Oughtershaw Beck into the Upper Wharf on stonking levels the morning after she was flooded (see post above), I really enjoyed it, best day out I have had in a while, grade 4+ water in a Topo, what fun.

Mum was not offended, in fact she thought it was a good idea that we took advantage of the water levels to enjoy ourselves. There was nothing we could do that day, in fact it took four days for the water to recede enough for us to gain access her house again, by which time everything was ruined.

I'm with you, people need to get back to visiting the lakes again and helping to revitalise the local economy.

Peter

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”