British Canoeing and EDF?

Inland paddling
fisher1857

British Canoeing and EDF?

Post by fisher1857 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:12 pm

Anyone else had an email from British Canoeing about discounts for members? What do people think of the offer of putting business in the direction of EDF? I know they do not currently operate hydro schemes in the UK, but the following means it does not sit quite right with me:

http://www.edfenergy.com/energyfuture/e ... edf-energy

YorkieDave

Re: British Canoeing and EDF?

Post by YorkieDave » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:53 pm

Yes had the email, I signed up but couldn't really work it our. I guess I'm going to get spammed

twopigs

Post by twopigs » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:16 am

If you think about the folks who go paddling in this country I guess most of them are flat water paddlers ...... and if you think about the reason the BCU was formed ....

But when you think how hydro plants ruin the rivers in the Alps and similar locations it is a poor choice of partner .....
Canoeing - bigger boat, broken paddle, more skill!

Mark Gawler
Site Admin

Post by Mark Gawler » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:45 am

I think it would be difficult to find a large corporation to sponsor the BCU that didn't have some ethical / environmental skeleton in the closet.
Mark Gawler

andrew butler 101

Post by andrew butler 101 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:06 pm

They don't dam slalom courses so why would they care?

stormkayaker

Post by stormkayaker » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:30 pm

Maybe they have forgotten what they are supposed to be doing at HQ?

With all these 'bulk buy' schemes the associated parents (BCU/CE) get a share of revenue so it's just a revenue raising exercise.

Of course you might like to ask who will benefit from the money raised and how much they might raise?

Maybe they will put it all into a big Christmas party (for staff only) or better vehicles, more expense claims or who knows what.....

Doubt much will find it's way into promoting 'Canoeing'

Paul

Beanz the Boater

Post by Beanz the Boater » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:14 am

Hi

I had the second email from a company called Logbuy on Sat, the BCU have shared all members contact details with a third party, despite it being against their own privacy policy and the terms on the membership application form. It is also in breach of data protection act and the ICO guidelines.

Despite complaints and requests from members they have ignored it all and have clearly left our data with the third party.( Who can now sell it on themselves)

Also had a letter telling me that my membership had expired in March, this was incorrect as it run Oct to Oct and have to renew to keep my coach qualifications current.

Once again the Governing body seems to be ignoring the requests and needs of its members.

Has any one else had a letter or emails from LogBuy?
If in doubt, go down the middle and take what is coming..!

Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:24 pm

I've had an email "inviting" me to some "great bargains".

An email with no "unsubscribe" option. I've had to click on a link & fill in a comment asking them to remove me from the database.

I'll see what comes back, then click on "spam" anyway....

C
Jackson Nirvana, BMW F650GS...

Beanz the Boater

Post by Beanz the Boater » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:36 pm

I sent a polite email three weeks ago to BCU

Had no response at all, sent a firmer longer email today, wonder what that will generate.

Believe that no unsubscribe is against the law, however when did that bother BCU.

Or email the info@britishcanoeing.org.uk address and register your complaint etc, Clog their inbox up, wonder how many members it would take to complain before they listen.

Won't hold my breath for a reply as I believe that a human being can't go for that long with out oxygen :-)
If in doubt, go down the middle and take what is coming..!

Adrian Scott

Post by Adrian Scott » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:08 pm

I too was disappointed to have had my email address sold to 3rd parties by British Canoeing.
I sent a very strongly worded (if slightly hastily written) email to info@britishcanoeing.org.uk explaining my disappointment in them and vented my anger at the unauthorised sale of my details to 3rd parties - I made them aware they were in breach of the data protection act and I consider the emails I had been sent as Spam.
After 3 weeks, I got the polite reply below (I guess they they are basing their hopes on everyone not bothering to email them, so British Canoeing does not have to remove all of us on a person by person basis) - It would be nice for them to own up to their mistake to all the email recipients and cancel the tie up with LogBuy et al in order to protect our inbox's from 3rd party spam, this could prevent a class action being launched by BCU members for a Data Protection breach:

"... I appreciate in this instance this offer to members was not handled correctly and we should not have signed you up.

I have removed your details and can confirm you will not receive any further emails from LogBuy or any other company. This was an oversight on our behalf and I am very sorry that it occurred. I have corrected our processes and this will not happen again.

At the moment you are signed up to receive the email newsletter from British Canoeing, but you can amend your communication preferences through your membership account. This can be accessed via the website, and you sign in using your membership number and password.

Once again, please accept my apologies for not getting it right in this instance..."

quicky

Post by quicky » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:56 pm

They have admitted it so tell them you will fine them £100 for every breach from now on....

fisher1857

Post by fisher1857 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:41 am

Yeah the fact they have provided our data to 3rd parties is poor, however, the thrust of my post was a separate matter.

I have now posted it in a variety of separate forums and been very surprised at the lack of interest to the extent I am thinking, maybe it is just me?!?

In a nutshell, what I am staggered at, is our governing body has felt it acceptable to broker a deal "for" its members, with the self confessed biggest provider of hydro schemes in the EU! It's all very well saying all companies have skeletons in there closet, but an NGB has a choice in who they deal with. I doubt the BMC would be bargaining with a company directly involved in fracking!

stormkayaker

Post by stormkayaker » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:00 pm

Shame no one else is bothered !

I'm not a great supporter of the BCU and this just shows once again that they don't act for members or have any idea how to run a business.

Just had to resort to installing a second BT line in an aged parents property so we can try to stop spam calls caused by not ticking (or was it unticking) a book on some form or other sometime in the past!

Anyone up for a class action?

Paul

andy g

Post by andy g » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:54 pm

Yes
I'll go along with that. I am pretty sure it could be a breach of the Data Protection Act, as well as flagrant disregard for their own rules.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”