WARNING HALTON RAPIDS

Inland paddling
areteeWW

WARNING HALTON RAPIDS

Post by areteeWW » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:28 pm

DANGEROUS INTAKE TO HYDRO STRUCTURE AT THE RIGHT HAND SIDE FORGE WEIR ABOVE HALTON RAPIDS.

There is a serious potential for a fatality in the area directly above the Hydro inlet.

This is as a direct result of the construction of the Halton Lune Hydro there is no longer a safe portage point around Forge Weir. When both Turbines are running the flow of water into the Hydro represents a serious hazard to anyone in or on the river above the weir on river right when looking downstream.

Anyone failing to exit the river far enough upstream runs the risk of being sucked into the inlet chamber and would find extreme difficulty in exiting the water safely.

British Canoeing are in discussions with the owners of the Hydro and other relevant parties to rectify this. In the meantime we recommend that you do not go near the top of Forge Weir and you spread this information as far and wide as you can. Even if it looks safe the turbines can start without warning and suddenly increase the rate of flow. There are no known safe exit points on the section of river between Crook-o-Lune downstream to Forge Weir.

British Canoeing North West Regional Development Team
3 November 2015

LucyLou19

Re: WARNING HALTON RAPIDS

Post by LucyLou19 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:31 pm

Hi

Can you advise as to whether it is still safely possible to run coaching sessions on halton rapids, how this weir would effect your session? Is this weir in the middle, up top, down stream etc? We are supposed to be paddling there tommorow,

Cheers,

Lucy

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:35 pm

areteeWW wrote: There are no known safe exit points on the section of river between Crook-o-Lune downstream to Forge Weir.
Now that is a very long stretch of river and I am sure there are plenty of access points before Halton, Killington Bridge and the Rawthy confluence immediately spring to mind and I'm not even local.

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:39 pm

Nothing on the CE North west website.

Is this another of those odd angles by the local CE to prevent paddling on rivers which we have heard about before?

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:55 pm

Adrian Cooper wrote:
areteeWW wrote: There are no known safe exit points on the section of river between Crook-o-Lune downstream to Forge Weir.
Now that is a very long stretch of river and I am sure there are plenty of access points before Halton, Killington Bridge and the Rawthy confluence immediately spring to mind and I'm not even local.
Where do you think Crook o Lune is?
I tried to find it on google/google maps and I am being shown the meander immediately upstream of Halton which apparently features in some Turner paintings?

So this statement is not at all well worded at all and of no use to anyone but local paddlers who know exactly where is meant by Crook o Lune, and which of the 3 (or is it 4? ) weirs at Halton is Forge Weir?

On the other hand, the only time I've paddled at Halton we got on below the rapid (above the final, nasty weir - I hope that isn't Forge weir!) and there was a sort of path a good way up the river left bank, so it should be quite possible to bank scout in advance and work out where the turbine inlet is. If it is above the top weir, it presumably won't affect normal coaching/training sessions that paddle up from below (just don't paddle up the last weir), if it is the bottom weir, well you want to be getting out river left so it is a hazard, but should be easily avoided by all but complete beginners. If it is one of the weirs in between, well that would be a bit more of a problem, but since they are incomplete....???

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:58 pm

Adrian Cooper wrote:Nothing on the CE North west website.

Is this another of those odd angles by the local CE to prevent paddling on rivers which we have heard about before?
Heybaz has been making significant headway on breaking down that sort of thing, I can only assume this is just out of his patch because I'm sure he would have included a better description and/or grid references :-)

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:41 pm

Crook of Lune Bridge is a grade II listed bridge at Beck Foot where one gets on down the lane from the viaduct (usual access for the grade 3 section). Maybe I am misunderstanding the terminology.

robofish

Post by robofish » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:17 pm

Hi
Normal access to Halton rapids is directly below forge weir just at the out flow of the hydro or you can get on at the mill where the bcu have their showers and toilets if you have a key think it’s a £10.00 then access to the river is down the steps this puts you on just below the rapids
The other nasty weir is Danny Beck weir which is about 1 kilometre below the mill get on and just above the narrow road bridge, it can be run at low levels but gets nasty in high water its easley portaged river left
The crook of Lune Bridge is about a kilometre above the hydro its field’s river left and woods river right all the way down so no easy get out.
I have run forge weir that the hydro is on once in medium to high levels on river left just next to the fish ladder with no problems but this was before the hydro
Hope this helps

Roy

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:50 pm

Interesting.

If you use whatever the mapping on the river guides here is (OS based), and zoom right in you will find that the 180 degree bend between Caton and Halton is called Crook o Lune, as is the wood immediately to the west of it (as described by Roy and BC NW). There are 3 bridges across the river at Crook o Lune, 2 are rail bridges and come up if you google Crook o Lune bridge, the road bridge appears to be called Caton Lune Bridge.

If you zoom to the same level at Beck Foot, you will find the bridge there is called Crook o Lune bridge, there is a small settlement called Crook o Lune and a Crook o Lune wood on the east bank.

Everyone is right, no winners :-0

chicklechives

Post by chicklechives » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:46 pm

There are two crook o lunes ( or crooks o lune?)
The one CE refer to is near Caton where a road and cycle path cross the river. It's about 1/2 mile upstream of the weir.
Egress is easy river left upstream of the weir.
Normal practice is to put on below the weir so no issues with the intakes.

Happy paddling

Lancs_lad

Post by Lancs_lad » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:46 am

I live in Halton and walk by the rapids regularly. I agree that the corner is no longer a sensible place to portage.

However, about 100 metres upstream on river right there is a massive grassy gap in the trees where the footpath comes next to the river. Get out here and get in below the hydro. Even if you over shoot this you can easily paddle back upstream above the weir.

The other option is to paddle the weir in the centre, which goes in all but stupid levels.

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:12 am

areteeWW wrote:There is a serious potential for a fatality in the area directly above the Hydro inlet.

This is as a direct result of the construction of the Halton Lune Hydro there is no longer a safe portage point around Forge Weir.

British Canoeing are in discussions with the owners of the Hydro and other relevant parties to rectify this.
Of course this should be brought to the immediate attention of the Health and Safety Executive. All construction projects are required to go through processes as part of the Construction Design and Management Regulations and this type of issue should be identified during the design stage and any dangers removed. The construction should not have taken place with a residual risk during operation. It's the law!

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”