At last we may be accepted on the Dart!!!!

Inland paddling
chilealan

At last we may be accepted on the Dart!!!!

Post by chilealan »

I was reading the below article on a number of platforms and like the quote about flotillas of kayaks.

http://home.bt.com/news/uk-news/naked-e ... 4012223761

Or could this become another hazard for paddlers!!!

maryinoxford

Re: At last we may be accepted on the Dart!!!!

Post by maryinoxford »

I don't understand why "wild swimming" should be persistently confused with "naked swimming." Wildswimmer Pete doesn't seem compelled to shed his Speedos. The law in this country says that some parts of the body should be covered in public places. Is that so difficult to live with?
Not in Oxford any more...

gp.girl

Post by gp.girl »

Although it depends on your age, sex and intention so you don't actually need to cover up by law. Bet he wouldn't have objected if they'd been pretty 25 year old lasses!
I can roll :)

EZ

Post by EZ »

Kayakers have been accepted on the river Dart for years. I know people who have been paddling on the Dart for at least 30!

It's only ever been a small narrow minded but vocal minority who take offence at other people taking away their imagined solitude.

About 9/10 years ago a friend and myself were paddling the upper and stopped, got out of our boats and walked around a lone fisherman (with our clothes still on) who probably never even knew we were there. More difficult to do if there's a group of 20 of you. Be respectful of other people around you but don't let them spoil your day. Unfortunately its unrealistic to expect to find solitude in any national park in the UK, you have to buy a plane ticket to Canada for that!

Wildswimmer Pete

Post by Wildswimmer Pete »

maryinoxford wrote:I don't understand why "wild swimming" should be persistently confused with "naked swimming." Wildswimmer Pete doesn't seem compelled to shed his Speedos. The law in this country says that some parts of the body should be covered in public places. Is that so difficult to live with?
Sounds like the angling fraternity have woken up to having another bogeyman - wild swimmers. Up to a few years ago there weren't so many of us, however wild swimming has since flourished. This thread proves how our increased numbers mean we increasingly share paddlesport's access woes. It's only last year we faced down Welsh Dee Partnership - is it still extant?

Given the time of the year, how long would the swimmers be in the water? My personal best is 46 minutes @ 6C, and that's snapping at the heels of Dan Earthquake, the UK's hardiest winter swimmer. The Dart swimmers would have most likely been in for 15-20 minutes. As for "naked" - to many "stark naked" could be taken to mean skimpy Speedos, especially if white (one reason I wear black). As for the guys, their undercarriage would've retracted faster than a 747 on takeoff, with the "two veg" ending up near their Adam's apples.

This photo was taken last December, I wonder what our "angry Dart angler" would say if I came into his view?
ImageArbroath_2 23-12-14 by Wildswimmer Pete, on Flickr

Wildswimmer Pete
Nili illegitimi carborundum

roo

Post by roo »

I'd like to think he would say; "Oi hat boy, swim over here would ya, we always catch a few more once you guys have swam past - same as them kayaking types, it's great to share this wonderful river with you."

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”