Drysuit recommendations?

Inland paddling
Cabbagepatchkid

Drysuit recommendations?

Post by Cabbagepatchkid » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:11 pm

I've never had a drysuit I have a cag and dry pants which I have rarely worn in the past.

But as its getting colder and I'm out more paddling I'm realising the advantage of having a drysuit.

So can anyone recommend a decent entry level drysuit. I'm aware that an entry level suit probably won't be absolutely bone dry but as near as would be nice.

Thanks

Neptune

Re: Drysuit recommendations?

Post by Neptune » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:20 am

Dam X Dam Water Sport, bomber dry suits made to measure.

Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:25 am

Seconded - DAM X are great value & rock solid.

C
Jackson Nirvana, BMW F650GS...

WWTCC

Post by WWTCC » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:01 pm

Hello

Most manufacturers offer a great value for money entry level suit. If your looking for a good suit well made and well fitting I would recommend looking at....

From Typhoon
- Multisport 4
- Multisport 4 Ltd
- Equator Hinge Zip

From Yak
- Vanguard dry suit

From Palm
- Cascade
- Torrent

Most good shops should have a good range of sizes and brands in stock, pop in and try some on!

Mark Mulrain

Post by Mark Mulrain » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:59 pm

What is your budget?

I'd probably not recommend a non breathable suit like a damx. I see people coming out of them looking just as wet as people in cags etc. And one friend with his seals all discoloured from the moisture. If he is going away for a weekend, he has to take 2 sets of thermals so that he will have a dry set each day.

Have you looked at any companies that sell direct to customer like Immersion Research? There is less of a mark up, so you will get a lot for your money. http://www.immersionresearch.eu/product ... /drysuits/

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:04 pm

A drysuit is the best bit of kit you'll ever buy. Totally life changing.

Get a good one and it'll last for ages. Many manufacturers do renovation jobs if you send them back.
It's a tough to fork out for a bigger cost, but it'll be worth it. As soon as you use it, you'll wish you'd got a better one if you don't.

One practical thing to consider is where and how you'll be using it. The material they are made of varies in stiffness between manufacturers. Thinner ones are great to paddle in, but less warm and not so good it you are doing lots of manky bank scrambling.

Heavier ones [especially cheap fabric that absorbs water a bit too as it gets older] can be draining to paddle in.
Think also about the zip. It's a pain if you can't get in and out of it easily yourself.
dave

twopigs

Post by twopigs » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:28 pm

Mark Mulrain wrote:What is your budget?

I'd probably not recommend a non breathable suit like a damx. I see people coming out of them looking just as wet as people in cags etc. And one friend with his seals all discoloured from the moisture. If he is going away for a weekend, he has to take 2 sets of thermals so that he will have a dry set each day.

Have you looked at any companies that sell direct to customer like Immersion Research? There is less of a mark up, so you will get a lot for your money. http://www.immersionresearch.eu/product ... /drysuits/
DAM Watersports offer a breathable top married to non-breathable trousers...... Not sure how true it is but breathable fabrics are said to be not as robust as non-breathables ..... The nice thing about DAM stuff is you can send it back on Monday morning for repair and it is usually back before the weekend (unless you admit you won't want it that quick!)
Canoeing - bigger boat, broken paddle, more skill!

Cabbagepatchkid

Post by Cabbagepatchkid » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:27 pm

Mark Mulrain wrote:What is your budget?

I looked at them yesterday and thought the same about being non breathable (damx) I emailed them anyway and they emailed back saying they start at £318 anyway so I figure may as well get a breathable one from another manfacturer.

I looked at IR and they looked reasonable I just don't really know what to look for hence why I came here.

As for budget I haven't really got a set number. I want something warmish (I can always layer up under it) and reasonably tough as I'll be using it for whitewater

Cabbagepatchkid

Post by Cabbagepatchkid » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:28 pm

DaveBland wrote:A drysuit is the best bit of kit you'll ever buy. Totally life changing.

Get a good one and it'll last for ages. Many manufacturers do renovation jobs if you send them back.
It's a tough to fork out for a bigger cost, but it'll be worth it. As soon as you use it, you'll wish you'd got a better one if you don't.

One practical thing to consider is where and how you'll be using it. The material they are made of varies in stiffness between manufacturers. Thinner ones are great to paddle in, but less warm and not so good it you are doing lots of manky bank scrambling.

Heavier ones [especially cheap fabric that absorbs water a bit too as it gets older] can be draining to paddle in.
Think also about the zip. It's a pain if you can't get in and out of it easily yourself.
I'd thought about the zip and just assumed that having it across the back of my shoulders would be the only way really as having it anywhere else would affect the way the body tube of my deck would sit?

Would you recommend a pee zip or a waste of time?

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:53 pm

Each to their own. My Kokatat has a diagonal front zip. My old Level6 one before had back of shoulders. Not tried the [Palm?] one with the leg entry.

As for pee zips,not sure if you mean the leg entry or an actual 'fly' pee zip? Mine has one, but tbh I never use it. Either I'm walking to the river, in which case the suit is worn legs only until I get there and I can go pee. Or if the river is by the car, I go pee before I put it on. I can generally avoid peeing for the average 3-5 hours a river takes when on the water.

But it depends how often you drink/pee I guess.
dave

Cabbagepatchkid

Post by Cabbagepatchkid » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:59 pm

I was referring to the fly yes haha. I've generally got good bladder control but thought it bet to check others opinions.

I'm trying to avoid getting a palm suit as I recently had to have a dry cag replaced (can't fault the way it was handled i sent it back had email contact all throughout the process and a brand new upgraded cag was delivered to me three days later) but I'd heard others had similar problems and its out me off them a little bit.

Cabbagepatchkid

Post by Cabbagepatchkid » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:03 pm

WWTCC wrote:Hello

Most manufacturers offer a great value for money entry level suit. If your looking for a good suit well made and well fitting I would recommend looking at....

From Typhoon
- Multisport 4
- Multisport 4 Ltd
- Equator Hinge Zip

From Yak
- Vanguard dry suit

From Palm
- Cascade
- Torrent

Most good shops should have a good range of sizes and brands in stock, pop in and try some on!

I've had a look at the equator hinge zip and yak vanguard (mostly due to price as its my first suit) had you owned either?

Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:42 pm

Cabbagepatchkid wrote:I was referring to the fly yes haha. I've generally got good bladder control but thought it bet to check others opinions.
Personally speaking, when I had a drysuit without one, I'd feel like I needed a pee within 15 minutes of putting all the gear on! Now that I've got one I don't get that feeling and have used it a few times - it's nice to know you can drink as much as you like over a days paddling & wee whenever you like....

C
Jackson Nirvana, BMW F650GS...

Cabbagepatchkid

Post by Cabbagepatchkid » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:55 pm

Chalky723 wrote:
Cabbagepatchkid wrote:I was referring to the fly yes haha. I've generally got good bladder control but thought it bet to check others opinions.
Personally speaking, when I had a drysuit without one, I'd feel like I needed a pee within 15 minutes of putting all the gear on! Now that I've got one I don't get that feeling and have used it a few times - it's nice to know you can drink as much as you like over a days paddling & wee whenever you like....

C
That's a good point I'll have to bear that in mind. I'm like that now and I only paddle in neoprene shorts although it usually goes away once I jump in my boat

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:26 pm

I tend to want to poo everytime I get in my boat, but that may be for a different reason.
dave

Badknee

Post by Badknee » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:56 am

How about Peakuk dry suits. It unzips inside the leg. Old and inflexible people like me can get I without the need of a nurse.
All the usual scratches...

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:17 am

Cabbagepatchkid wrote:
WWTCC wrote:Hello ................................ Most good shops should have a good range of sizes and brands in stock, pop in and try some on!
had you owned either?
If you check out WWTCC you will find they can sell you one. :-)

WWTCC

Post by WWTCC » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:07 pm

Hello,

Yes we've used both the Equator and Vanguard, the Equator is a good suit, not as heavy duty as some but a good solid first suit that would last and serve you well. The Vanguard is super heavy duty, not as flexible as some others but very warm and dry!

Depends on your size, but! If you can find a good second hand suit there worth considering, we've got a Large Gore-tex Meridian at the moment in Large, just serviced. Again, best to give them a try first and have a look at the condition tho if you can.

This suit has been owned by one of our staff and is really nice and dry still.

http://www.whitewaterthecanoecentre.co. ... 4537-p.asp

Cabbagepatchkid

Post by Cabbagepatchkid » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:19 pm

Okay thanks to everyone for the advice!

Think I'll try and hunt out a suit in my size for a few weeks and if I can't find one take the plunge and buy new.

Thanks for the offer wwtc but I'm too big I usually wear an xxl cag so imagine it would be similar for a suit

YorkieDave

Post by YorkieDave » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:34 pm

Peak is good with crotch zip or Typhoon Multisport 4 is highly recommended. The new Ltd edition has the latest plastic zips and is very comfy to wear. 3 year warranty to boot.

sprintpaddler

Post by sprintpaddler » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:31 am

Have to put a good word in for Immersion Research. I`ve had my IR Double D suit for over 4 years & it`s been superb. It`s still on it`s original
latex seals, the fabric has been excellent, & I`ve never had any issues with the `behind the shoulder` TiZip, which I can use without help due
to it`s smooth operation. Looking at the IR site that Mark Mulrain put forward I see the Double D is discontinued, but the 7Figure dry suit looks
to be it`s replacement. I`d suggest given my experience the £499 price is good value for such a decent suit.
Cheers.
Ted.

Unsponsored

Post by Unsponsored » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:36 pm

I've got a couple for sale in the classifieds. 1 x Brand new Sweet Intergalactic and 1 x NRS Crux.

Cabbagepatchkid

Post by Cabbagepatchkid » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:18 am

Biscuit65 wrote:I've got a couple for sale in the classifieds. 1 x Brand new Sweet Intergalactic and 1 x NRS Crux.

Id be surprised if either of them fitted ha. Thanks anyway though

sinkorswim

Post by sinkorswim » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:39 pm

Been exceptionally pleased with my DamX. One post was on about breathable or non-breathable. I doubt any breathable suite will breathe if its full-on W.Water - and once your in your boat, with a BA on there isn't a great deal of exposed fabric anyway - the arms maybe. DamX does sell a breathable one - but everyone advised me to get the regular fabric.

Badknee

Post by Badknee » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:06 pm

I have used a Typoon 4 since late Autumn until now. Happy to recommend it. It has been used every week including a few week long paddles and has done exactly what is has been designed for.
All the usual scratches...

chriscw

Post by chriscw » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:15 am

I think that my main recommendation would be to buy one. Go to a shop try some on and negotiate a price you can pay. If you go to a shop and try some on DO NOT then go online and buy the same thing that is not fair, but if you find what you want cheaper online do tell the retailer!

They are not as expensive as they used to be and most of them are pretty good and if you look after them will continue to keep you dry for years. Occasionally any maker may turn out a faulty suit if this happens to you it should be possible to negotiate some redress. remember the Retailer is responsible for stuff they sell you so keep the receipt just in case.
Chris Clarke-Williams
Location Basingstoke

Paddling Interests:
Touring, Coaching Beginners (I am an L2K), Surf White water trips, Weir Play (I'm not good enough to put freestyle!)

sinkorswim

Post by sinkorswim » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:26 am

DamX send you a list of required measurements - tailor make the suit. I got mine in 4days, perfect fit.

Franky

Post by Franky » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:24 pm

chriscw wrote:If you go to a shop and try some on DO NOT then go online and buy the same thing that is not fair, but if you find what you want cheaper online do tell the retailer!
There's no law against trying something on in a shop and buying online if you find it cheaper there. Whether or not it is the right thing to do is a matter of personal principle.

Personally if I try something on in a shop and I want it, I'll buy it from the shop, even if I could buy it cheaper online. However, if somebody told me off for doing otherwise, I'd tell them to mind their own business.
remember the Retailer is responsible for stuff they sell you so keep the receipt just in case.
Does anybody not know this?

chriscw

Post by chriscw » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:09 am

Franky wrote:
chriscw wrote:If you go to a shop and try some on DO NOT then go online and buy the same thing that is not fair, but if you find what you want cheaper online do tell the retailer!
There's no law against trying something on in a shop and buying online if you find it cheaper there. Whether or not it is the right thing to do is a matter of personal principle.

Personally if I try something on in a shop and I want it, I'll buy it from the shop, even if I could buy it cheaper online. However, if somebody told me off for doing otherwise, I'd tell them to mind their own business.
remember the Retailer is responsible for stuff they sell you so keep the receipt just in case.
Does anybody not know this?
OK what I was trying to say is pretty much what you have said be fair to people who spend time with you helping you to find the right product! Most shops will try and price match if you give them the chance.

My consumer protection reminder was not meant to be news just a reminder that if you do buy something and it turns out to be a complete lemon you do have redress available.

My main point though remains if you can afford a dry suit and you want stay worm and dry do buy a drysuit, they are all mostly pretty good most of the time.
Chris Clarke-Williams
Location Basingstoke

Paddling Interests:
Touring, Coaching Beginners (I am an L2K), Surf White water trips, Weir Play (I'm not good enough to put freestyle!)

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”