A new look UKRGB

Inland paddling
Mark Gawler
Site Admin

A new look UKRGB

Post by Mark Gawler » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:22 pm

Welcome to the new look UK Rivers Guidebook, whilst the changes you see on the surface are fairly minor a lot has changed underneath. We have moved to a new server and updated almost every piece of software the site runs on. The one major update remains, the phpBB forum software which will be updated soon. For comments and feedback please use this thread.
Mark Gawler

MikeB

Re: A new look UKRGB

Post by MikeB » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:34 pm

"Like"

mole

Post by mole » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:42 pm

Very nice, like the dropdowns!

Just as an FYI though, the intermediate rivers in the southern uplands bit of Scotland seem to have disappeared.
Sometimes it's just too much effor......aughhh

Mark Gawler
Site Admin

Post by Mark Gawler » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:50 am

Good spot, I will fix soon. Thank you for the feedback, if yo spot anything else please let me know.

Apologies for the site disappearing overnight I made a typo when updating the DNS records which didn't come to light until the TTL expired :-(
Mark Gawler

Big Henry

Post by Big Henry » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:50 am

On my (Android) mobile I'm seeing the following error message in every thread, including the 'reply' page:
Error
phpbb3 :
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /var/www/ukrgb/joomla/libraries/joomla/database/driver/mysql.php on line 150: mysql_real_escape_string(): 18 is not a valid MySQL-Link resource
But it still shows the contents of the thread!

Mark Gawler
Site Admin

Post by Mark Gawler » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:23 pm

Big Henry wrote:On my (Android) mobile I'm seeing the following error message in every thread, including the 'reply' page:
Error
phpbb3 :
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /var/www/ukrgb/joomla/libraries/joomla/database/driver/mysql.php on line 150: mysql_real_escape_string(): 18 is not a valid MySQL-Link resource
Are you still sing this? I have seen it once at the point I switched over to the new server but nothing since.
Mark Gawler

TonyM

Post by TonyM » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:14 pm

Another 'like'.

Will posting photos be easier when the phpBB software is replaced? Much as i like a text based forum (less nonsense talked than some others), posting photos does seem to have been an issue in the past.

Many thanks
Tony

Mark Gawler
Site Admin

Post by Mark Gawler » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:29 pm

phpbb will be upgraded rather than replaced. I haven't looked to see if new features like improved photo posting are included.

There would be a cost to UKRGB if we were to host the photos as we would have to pay for the storage and the viewing bandwidth. So it is not something we would be able to do for free.

I do agree posting photos should be easy. The quickest way to do it at the moment is using the Tapatalk app, its as easy as posting a photo to a popular social media site.
Mark Gawler

maryinoxford

Post by maryinoxford » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:49 pm

On my screen, in the header line that starts "User Control Panel (0 new messages) • View your posts" the lower half of the letters is covered by the background colour. You can still read enough to find the links, it just looks a bit messy.
Not in Oxford any more...

Mark Gawler
Site Admin

Post by Mark Gawler » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:53 pm

Mary, are you using an old wed browser like Internet Explorer 8?
Mark Gawler

maryinoxford

Post by maryinoxford » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:17 pm

Internet Explorer 11 with Windows 7. I usually have my screen zoom set to 125%, but I changed it to 100% and still had the same effect.

Is there any way I can send you a screen dump? Otherwise, I can save one and put it on Flickr so that I can post it here.

Mary
Not in Oxford any more...

Mark Gawler
Site Admin

Post by Mark Gawler » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:43 pm

I'm quite surprised IE 11is not displaying correctly. I will investigate.
Mark Gawler

ion

Post by ion » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:54 pm

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /var/www/ukrgb/joomla/libraries/joomla/database/driver/mysql.php on line 150: mysql_real_escape_string(): 18 is not a valid MySQL-Link resource

Mark Gawler
Site Admin

Post by Mark Gawler » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:56 pm

ion wrote:[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /var/www/ukrgb/joomla/libraries/joomla/database/driver/mysql.php on line 150: mysql_real_escape_string(): 18 is not a valid MySQL-Link resource
Did you see this just the once or is it there all the time?
Mark Gawler

ion

Post by ion » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:59 pm

I see it all the time Mark, right below the "You are here" bar.
Chrome 45.0.2454.46 beta (64-bit)

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:19 pm

Mark, I see it all the time except the Community index page. Win7, Firefox 40.0.2. The "You are here" is also truncated, wherever you are it only shows the index. The image below is from this thread.

I'm also being logged out frequently, although I did tick the box to stay logged in.

KrisBD

Post by KrisBD » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:33 pm

I keep getting logged out, and as with Chris Bolton I have ticked the remember me box. At one point I got a message to say that the session had expired.

Mark Gawler
Site Admin

Post by Mark Gawler » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:15 pm

I think I may have fixed the logging out issues, let me know if it still happens.

The phpbb3 error is strange, I have seen it but only when I switched between the old an new server in testing. I put it down to the login cookies getting out of sync. It may be worth login out and logging back in again.
Mark Gawler

ion

Post by ion » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:33 pm

Mark Gawler wrote: The phpbb3 error is strange, I have seen it but only when I switched between the old an new server in testing. I put it down to the login cookies getting out of sync. It may be worth login out and logging back in again.
Mark this did in fact work for me also.
-Ian

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:40 pm

Thanks Mark, both seem fixed for me now, I restarted the browser and I'm still logged in, without the error.

Chris

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:44 pm

"[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /var/www/ukrgb/joomla/libraries/joomla/database/driver/mysql.php on line 150: mysql_real_escape_string(): 18 is not a valid MySQL-Link resource"

I'm seeing this. Using Firefox, with Adobe Media Player disabled.
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / Kodiak / My Videos

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:16 pm

Yes logging in solved the issue Chris mentioned.

I have seen other php forums failing to keep people logged in if a cookie on their browser gets corrupted so if anyone finds that logging out and back in doesn't work, they might want to empty the biscuit barrel and see if that helps (or to avoid having to log into loads of other sites you could just delete UKRGB cookies)

Mark Gawler
Site Admin

Post by Mark Gawler » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:08 am

mole wrote: Just as an FYI though, the intermediate rivers in the southern uplands bit of Scotland seem to have disappeared.
I've just looked at the old list of rivers in the Southern Uplands and it appears there is no intermediate rivers there, Is that really true?
Mark Gawler

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:58 am

It disappears when you log in, but reappears when you view a thread.

tjclare

Post by tjclare » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:10 am

Hosting photos really shouldn't be an issue if you are on a decent webhost

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:17 am

Is the error on the line where it should tell you which subsection of forum you're in, e.g. \ Whitewater and Touring \ Gear For Private Sale \
- which allows you to walk up one or two forum sections in the hierarchy?

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:09 pm

Mark Gawler wrote:
mole wrote: Just as an FYI though, the intermediate rivers in the southern uplands bit of Scotland seem to have disappeared.
I've just looked at the old list of rivers in the Southern Uplands and it appears there is no intermediate rivers there, Is that really true?
Possibly...everything down there is grade 2 or grade 5 :-)

Joking aside - the Nith should probably be intermediate and the lower Minnoch - if they don't appear in the beginner or advanced section then we must have lost a section at some point, if they do appear then obviously the editors disagree with me. There is a Nith guide, I was looking at it on Thursday, but I might have come in alphabetically.

Mark Gawler
Site Admin

Post by Mark Gawler » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:06 pm

Thanks Jim,
It appears the editor didn't include them in the list, now fixed. I think I need to do a search for rivers that haven't bee added to the index.
Mark Gawler

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:26 pm

Mark Gawler wrote:phpbb will be upgraded rather than replaced. I haven't looked to see if new features like improved photo posting are included.

There would be a cost to UKRGB if we were to host the photos as we would have to pay for the storage and the viewing bandwidth. So it is not something we would be able to do for free.

I do agree posting photos should be easy. The quickest way to do it at the moment is using the Tapatalk app, its as easy as posting a photo to a popular social media site.
The Tapatalk option does indeed work rather well! I suppose I should really read their T&C's to see what owership (if any) I've just given them to my pictures though - -

The other major paddling site, SoTP, seems to have far more posts / blogs with pictures than we do here on UKRGB / UKSKGB. But they don't host either, and users all manage to host their pics on the likes of P/bucket - as do I increasingly. Perhaps it's easier to take on-water shots from an open canoe, hence the greater frequency of pics within posts? On the other hand, Dougie Wilcox seems to manage to take pics from a sea kayak - as do I.

The downside of course is that whenever someone deletes such an account - or the pics in it - we then loose them here. Which in many cases is a real loss, as demonstrated in many of the older forum trip reports where the images are lost to posterity.

Maybe the real issue is the lack of understanding "how to" - perhaps a stickie in all the forums is the answer, similar to that noted in the For Sale section in the "Using Private Sales - some useful advice" stickie. Equally, the stickies don't appear in T/talk feeds, unless specifically opened, so with the increasing use of mobile devices to access the forum that may remain an issue for some.

Mike

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:17 pm

Would it be possible to use a UKRGB Dropbox account? I'd happily contribute £1 for the fees.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”