Kayaking shoes worth it

Inland paddling
Kayakingrick

Kayaking shoes worth it

Post by Kayakingrick »

The high prices for the designed kayaking shoes, are they worth it or would a cheap pair of £10 trainers with laces cut suffice? Only asking as have used the old style neoprene boot for years and need some more durable/friendly for drysuit

Rae1

Re: Kayaking shoes worth it

Post by Rae1 »

I thought normal beach/lightweight trainers would be fine - until my first capsize, as I got out, my shoes were pulled off as I dragged my feet out of the kayak. Luckily they floated, so could get them back, but the lesson was learned, and I bought a pair of Palm neoprene shoes/bootees at £30, and think they are fine.

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

I think it depends on how much scrambling around rocky river banks you do.
For years, I used only neoprene booties and it didn't matter too much, but now I'm spending more and more time walking round stuff, I've got so fussy I traded my keens for Astrals as the rubber was better on the Astrals.
It just depends on where you are walking, and how long for.
dave

Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 »

At the moment I've got Typhoon Z3 wetsuit boots & have put some decent insoles in them which has improved them hugely!

They're a lot comfier than my Water Tennies were, have no laces & at £20 a pair I won't cry if they wear out every year (my current pair have been going for 2 1/2 years).

C
Jackson Nirvana, LL Remix 69, BMW F650GS...

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper »

DaveBland wrote: now I'm spending more and more time walking round stuff
I suppose there are two possible reasons for this. :-)

Jim

Post by Jim »

Why not try a pair of cheap £10 trainers and see how long before they fall apart?

To be honest, it's a long time since I bought any shoes anywhere near that price point that didn't leak the first time I wore them (why does it always rain when you buy new shoes?), but this is a benefit for boating shoes, it helps the water drain out. Seriously though, go to a boating shop and pick up a pair of those expensive shoes and look at the details of how they are supposed to drain etc. They will still seem expensive, but you may appreciate why they cost a bit more than a pair of george trainers, even if you don't agree with how much more.

I'm currently using the Palm camber shoe - no chance to visit a shop before I went on holiday and I couldn't see anything in the product description to differentiate it from the £10 more expensive gradient shoe or £20 more expensive gradient boot. The shoes stood up well in Corsica (including hiking out of the Travo after I snapped my paddle over my chest and bruised some ribs) and are my shoe of choice now in OC1 and for creek boating. I have also used them for whole days at a time doing safety cover on the artificial WW course (4 days, but like 10 or 12 hours on my feet each time) and they still look and feel like new.
Grip is good and the sole is stiff enough for clambering about over pointy rocks and bushwhacking through the macquis.

But will they last so many times longer than a pair of £10 trainers to be the more economic choice? No idea.

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

Adrian Cooper wrote:
DaveBland wrote: now I'm spending more and more time walking round stuff
I suppose there are two possible reasons for this. :-)
Adrian, there are so many reasons, but the getting old and scared one applies most.

I think the point about using an old pair of trainers is totally valid for so many applications. Especially in the UK where grip on rock is less of an issue than grip on squidgly mud and there is a limited amount of walking in/around/off rivers.

One point not mentioned though is drysuit sock protection. Decent paddling boots do offer a bit more longevity to your suit.
dave

Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

DaveBland wrote:One point not mentioned though is drysuit sock protection. Decent paddling boots do offer a bit more longevity to your suit.
Just wear some regular socks between drysuit and shoes. Stops a load of crap getting near drysuit socks.

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

Fair enough, but that depends on how much BC bushwhacking you are doing!
dave

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

In the red corner...the mighty, the evil, the Devil's favourite...

...and, in the blue corner, the all conquoring, the mighty defender of latex and Gortex...

dave

Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 »

Hmmm, I reckon the Baby Blue will be ample defence for most of the paddlers on here......

C

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

It's true. I was just being an arse. Just sulking coz I didn't get to paddle this w/e.
dave

jamiemagee

Post by jamiemagee »

Anyone use the lomo ones. I'm also looking for new shoes. Want a decent soul but also something bendy.

I have been told off for wearing trainers before due to laces being a snag hazard

Mark Dixon

Post by Mark Dixon »

jamiemagee wrote:Anyone use the lomo ones. I'm also looking for new shoes. Want a decent soul but also something bendy.

I have been told off for wearing trainers before due to laces being a snag hazard
Lomo actually make a half decent wetsuit boot, tbh abot the only item I would buy from Lomo. I use the new Palm Gradients and they seem to be pretty good so far, Tennies and Astra'l's are rubbish

YorkieDave

Post by YorkieDave »

One of my friends has a pair of these Karrimor Geko shoes and rates them well.

http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-ge ... e=18388003

They are not listed as water shoes but have mesh all around for drainage and also drainage holes in the sole. Pretty good for £23.

purelandexpeditions.com

Post by purelandexpeditions.com »

For years I used cheap booties and moved to Tevas - hese were good solid shoes but some of the designs had slippy soles - I moved to Adidas gazelles chav specials) and these were fine on rock but rubbish on wet mud. Back to teva but the new shoes have bad soles again - so I spend lots of time in old chacos with spider rubber soles. 510 and the new palm seem to be the place to put your smart money.

D

ps have good shoes, I once slipped on aportage and fell 15-20ft!
Raft Kayak Trek Explore
purelandexpeditions.com

bloodystarving

Post by bloodystarving »

jamiemagee wrote:Anyone use the lomo ones. I'm also looking for new shoes. Want a decent soul but also something bendy.

Timely post for me, this one - I've got the Lomo ones, and they've been great up until now, but since I've started doing more trips, it's become increasingly apparent that I'm more likely to damage myself off the water than on - they ain't exactly nimble, plus I don't trust my ankles at the best of times (basically, I had the Fear about snapping my ankles by a riverside). I'm seriously considering a pair of boots, although I have to say, I'm nervous of the whole laces aspect. Was considering the Typhoon rock boots - has anyone tried them?

cathalferris

Post by cathalferris »

If you have cheap trainers in a kayak, please make very sure that the heel on them is not an entrapment hazard if you need a speedy exit. We've had some rather close calls in our club over the years where people have gotten their footwear caught in the interior fittings while exiting, making for some unnecessary extra excitement. I've seen some of our members take a knife to the shoe edges to reduce the sole overhang, making it a lot less likely to entrap on exit. As for laces being a snag hazard, it's a remote possibility, but I do a good compact double knot that really minimises any flapping of lace loops.

Personally I've been using the 5-10 water shoes for the past over two years, and I've been glad of the grip on wet rock for both setting up rescue and enacting rescues. Comfortable for my foot shape too.

For me, the extra cost compared to cheap trainers is offset both by the added longevity of the purpose built footwear, but more the extra grip and utility they provide.

andibs

Post by andibs »

I have the typhoon rock boots and the comfort and grip have been good

Andy

andibs

Post by andibs »

I have the typhoon rock boots and the comfort and grip have been good

Andy

Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 »

I had them but found the heel kept getting caught when exiting so went back to wetsuit boots...

C

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

I think there's a grade 3 threshold.

If you are paddling up to and including grade 3, then the amount of inspecting, rescuing, and general clambering round on rocks will be limited, so any old pair of whatever's will do the job quite nicely, as long as there is no entrapment issue with heels getting stuck.
Once at G 4 and above, the amount of wet rock clambering increases massively, and I personally would recommend proper paddling shoes/boots.
As a few have said, it's probably far more dangerous clambering around on rocks with ya boat than actually in the water in ya boat.

Various brands have been banded around, but having had some really nice Keens that had crap soles on, I'm a big fan of proper sticky rubber. So 5.10, or the new Astral G-rubber, or word is the Palms are good too.
[For the record, Astrals had a bad rap with the old 5.10 rubber delaminating, but the new G-rubber ones are bomber. Plus the rubber seems as good. Mine are lasting well for sure].

The soles are way more important than the rest of it as they are often the only thing keeping you from going a cropper.
dave

chriscw

Post by chriscw »

I have some rather nice palm tough boots with a side entry zip and another similar pair of a different brand. These are very comfy on my Hoss or when canoeing and good to walk in when portaging to and from access points. I previously had lace up boots but always though these did present a significant risk of entrapment is the laces get caught, I guess with trainers this is not the case.... I note though that in my S6 the boots do get caught in the deck pillar, at least if i do not have all the blocks in place so I tend to wear a horrible pair of boots with no zip which i have to really struggle to pull on but which do not have proper soles.

I think a pair of decent boots are a good investment and will last quite a while making them cheaper than cheap trainers. and you get a small amount of ankle protection when walking trough rocky places.
Chris Clarke-Williams
Location Basingstoke

Paddling Interests:
Touring, Coaching Beginners (I am an L2K), Surf White water trips, Weir Play (I'm not good enough to put freestyle!)

jamiemagee

Post by jamiemagee »

Well I ordered a pair of lomo ones. Really impressed with the sole on them! Nice and sturdy so shouldn't feel the stones anymore

MarkEb

Post by MarkEb »

I use the lomo boots. I've had mine for about a year and a half. They are starting to come apart now but they have seen some use, several times a week. Wouldn't hesitate buying another pair.

Jim

Post by Jim »

Don't wear shoes in a playboat, wear neoprene socks and clip a pair of sandals behind the seat in case you actually need to walk somewhere, and still can. I guess crocs are the fashionable upgrade from sandals? You can also clip your creeking shoes in (most have loops for that) but they take longer to put on. Neoprene boots also work but harder to clip in.

morsey

Post by morsey »

Whoever invented wetboots, has no sense of smell.

morsey

Post by morsey »

New playboats have room for shoes :-)

Hakase

Post by Hakase »

morsey wrote:New playboats have room for shoes :-)
Mine doesn't :(

66quinny66

Post by 66quinny66 »

Jim wrote:I guess crocs are the fashionable upgrade from sandals?
I'm struggling with this comment, unless you meant from socks & sandals, in which case I would be forced to agree. :)

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”