Kayaking Campsite in Slovenia

Inland paddling
adibell

Kayaking Campsite in Slovenia

Post by adibell » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:30 pm

Hello.

Looking to go kayaking in the Soca Valley, Slovenia during our holiday in mid-August, and would probably be hiring boats etc. Is there any particular campsite that people would recommend, primarily for meeting other kayakers who may be out there? We've been looking at Bovec, and there's a few campsites, but wasn't sure if there was a 'favourite,' similar to L'Argentiere in the French Alps.

Thanks for any advice!

Simon Westgarth

Re: Kayaking Campsite in Slovenia

Post by Simon Westgarth » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:56 pm

Many kayakers stay near Bovec in Vodenca the confluence of the Soča and Koridnica, there are several campsites, although in Aigist the upper river without much rain is unlikely to be running. Lower down in Trnovo, there is a camp site at the end of the classic section, its a much under used spot. In Kobarid at the end of the Otona section, there is Kamp Koren, a fine location and great campsite.

cathalferris

Post by cathalferris » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:05 pm

We in the Uni of Limerick club have had pleasant experiences staying in Kamp Lazar, which is directly across the river from KAmp Koren. Edi does great savoury crepes..

Edi gave us the use of the higher campground as we were a large group, and it made sense to separate us from the rest of the "normal" campers

adibell

Post by adibell » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:00 pm

Thanks both, I think it might be worth looking further downstream, in that case. Whilst I'd be looking for challenging G4/4+, I'd have to meet people out there to get any harder boating in. We're out as a couple to boat on G2/G3 waters, so I'm sure we should have some to keep us busy for a few days!

If anyone else is out in Slovenia around that time (21-24 August), it'd be interesting to find out where you're camping and what your plans are!

Thanks for the advice!

thomguy1

Post by thomguy1 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:13 am

How was your trip last August? We're going out middle of August this year with a similar plan - where do you recommend to camp or sections to paddle at that time of year? We've got a range of paddling abilities and experience so looking for a bit of something for everyone.
Thanks

Simon Westgarth

Post by Simon Westgarth » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:49 pm

During low water summer, Kamp Trnovo in Trnovo is the best option, although this camp site is not as popular as Kamp Lazer or Kamp Koren in Kobarid. These Kobarid sites are located at the end of the Otona section, which is great if you are going to be hitting that a bunch. The other cluster of camp sites are at Vodenca near Bovec on the confluence of the Soča and Koridinica. In August though the upper river is very likely to be low, perhaps too low at times, so may be you'll end up driving a lot down the valley to Srpenca and Trnovo. Of course in Bovec there are lots of places to eat and shops, as too in Kobarid.

Gawage1

Post by Gawage1 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:17 am

I stayed at the Prijon sport centre campsite with the uni club which was great ... very friendly and I recommend

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”