Women's drysuits: Literally, taking the p***

Inland paddling
bloodystarving

Women's drysuits: Literally, taking the p***

Post by bloodystarving » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:38 pm

I'm a newbie I admit, but am I going mad, or are there really only three "reasonably" *cough* priced women's drysuits on the market that you don't have to suffer the indignity of a she-wee for?

I can see Gul Taw (£329), Gul Zero (£399.95) and Palm Element (£425) on Wetsuit Outlet, and although I'm sure I can find them a few quid less somewhere else if I look hard enough, that's not the point of my rant - it's the fact that there doesn't seem to be any other choices. On the same website, there are around 20 men's drysuits for under £300!!

If I had to pick one (and I'm not going though another winter in my secondhand leaky strip-off-behind-a-tree men's Typhoon), I've heard that Gul are ropey (although I like the look of the Gul Taw most out of the three), and that the Palm one is the best. I do like the Palm one, it's nice and bright and cheerful. However, for a beginner, it's also the apotheosis of All The Gear No Idea - they're brighter than the sun, and as a beginner, I'm mostly trying to hide from people - difficult if you resemble a stumbling Buzz Lightyear.
If anyone has any advice or recommendations, I would very, very much like to hear them.

And if any kayaking clothing reps are reading this - surely to goodness there are enough women kayaking for someone to actually start taking advantage of this particular gaping hole in the market??

mountain_bikerider

Re: Women's drysuits: Literally, taking the p***

Post by mountain_bikerider » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:07 pm

Buy the palm one you won't be disappointed. My wife has had a palm suit for a year now and absolutely loves it. Buy the IR ladies drop seat onesie to wear underneath (its cheaper than the palm one) and it will make for a much much happier paddling experience.
I think the answer to your other question is just numbers there aren't that many ladies that paddle when compared to guys so for manufacturers to develop ladies only kit is expensive when compared to the potential sales market.

bloodystarving

Post by bloodystarving » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:52 pm

I probably will buy the Palm one, to be honest - and good for them, to be honest - they've realised there IS a market for good, functional, gorgeous drysuits for women, I hope they're making a bomb on them. I just resent having a choice of... one.

*and also, was hungry when wrote previous post :D

mole

Post by mole » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:27 pm

The Peak Creek drysuit has a leg zip entry system that works with female toilet requirements.
Sometimes it's just too much effor......aughhh

HAZA

Post by HAZA » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:19 pm

How about a Damx custom made one very reasonably priced.

noodles

Post by noodles » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:16 pm

I love my Palm Element and wish I'd bought one sooner. It is so easy, especially with the Palm drop-seat onesie thermal suit. As a newbie you need the a good drysuit (you are much more likely to be in the water) and you need to be easy to spot. Get it and enjoy your paddling!

Niki

gp.girl

Post by gp.girl » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:18 pm

HAZA wrote:How about a Damx custom made one very reasonably priced.
Do they do a drop seat now? I'm not doing without one :)
bloodystarving wrote:However, for a beginner, it's also the apotheosis of All The Gear No Idea - they're brighter than the sun, and as a beginner, I'm mostly trying to hide from people - difficult if you resemble a stumbling Buzz Lightyear.
They are very common so you won't stand out too much. It's also rather obvious after you fluff the line, forget to brace and pull the spraydeck without trying to roll (you can omit this bit in fact I strongly recomend it)

I love mine but you do need to keep an eye on the inside of the legs they can wear through rather quickly.
I can roll :)

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:18 pm

Kokatat Idol Drysuit. Not that I'm an expert on being a woman or anything! But worth a look.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”