What would you do?

Inland paddling
Unsponsored

What would you do?

Post by Unsponsored »

I have seen the Boater Boof technique used a number of times over the years and each case the boater who has boofed has came out of the situation quite well. For the guy stuck in the hole the outcome has always been a swim.

What would you do in this situation?

http://www.unsponsored.co.uk/press/boater-boof/

gp.girl

Re: What would you do?

Post by gp.girl »

Shame it's in slowmo or I'd have a better idea just how much time he had to react and pick a different line. In hindsight it looks like there were other places he could have gone. He's looking at his buddy too which is not a good idea if you want to miss them!

What would I have done? Hopefully picked another line.......I tell you after I've tried it for real :)

Do remember that this is much worse if you happen to be upright in the hole at the time.
I can roll :)

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

Looks like there was time to head left or into the eddy on the right, as soon as he realized the other guy was going over.
Agree with gp.girl, hitting an upright paddler can work out bad.
Best go round.
dave

GaryM

Post by GaryM »

Having been on the receiving end of this "trick" resulting in ruptured tendons in my shoulder, I think this is a highly dangerous thing to do. Plenty of other options as soon paddler in front seen to be in trouble, but playing follow the leader?
Gary Mascall

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

even when on receiving end, to be fair, it isn't always avoidable...

dave

Mark Dixon

Post by Mark Dixon »

Similar thing happened to me last weekend when a paddler just decided to surf the NRA wave at Treweryn just as I was going down it, I had swapped boats with someone and paddling this old green bubble that I seen a lot of sky in. I ended up boofing the front of his boat but his body stopped me in my tracks resulting in me spending surf time in a boat I didnt like, nor expecting it.
A few choice words were had whilst I was on top of his boat.

Jim

Post by Jim »

Can't watch the video just now, but if you are going to run rivers line astern instead of eddy hopping, sometimes this will be unavoidable, and should be one of your considerations when choosing to run a river in that style....

I have always done everything possible to avoid it if the paddler in front of me has got munched, I can't remember if I've always managed to miss them or not the only example that springs to mind is the time McDoom took a beating on the Coupall and I was too late to stop so paddled hard right and managed to miss him and hit the sweet spot to avoid getting sucked in too.
(I think it was quite high in retrospect)

People who surf out in front of paddlers heading downstream often deserve what they get, on the other hand, paddlers who spend excessively long messing about in the eddy above a playwave when the surfers are waiting for them and only run it when someone finally gets fed up and goes for a surf - well they need to have a good talk with themselves!

Mark Dixon

Post by Mark Dixon »

Jim wrote:People who surf out in front of paddlers heading downstream often deserve what they get, on the other hand, paddlers who spend excessively long messing about in the eddy above a playwave when the surfers are waiting for them and only run it when someone finally gets fed up and goes for a surf - well they need to have a good talk with themselves!
Thats where good communication comes in, in my case the paddler admitted he never even looked and apoligised, he also got a bollocking from another paddler next in line in the eddy

Unsponsored

Post by Unsponsored »

Anyone managed to do it and the guy being boof'd on gets free of the sticky hole?

ion

Post by ion »

Biscuit65 wrote:Anyone managed to do it and the guy being boof'd on gets free of the sticky hole?
Yes, more than once.... as it seems also happened in that video if you watch to the very end.
I'd sure as hell rather boof the bottom of someones boat rather than deliver a bow to the face or ribs...which I've also regrettably had to do.
Would you suggest this is a better scenario? : https://www.facebook.com/twobladesadven ... =1&theater

gp.girl

Post by gp.girl »

Whitewater all in. Get swimming and post a long list of lost kit on forum of choice. I reckon the guy on the right will get to the bank first and the boat on the left is going to get furthest by itself.
I can roll :)

Joe L

Post by Joe L »

I have both boofed on and been boofed on by others. Its never that fun but I have never seen someone swim because of it and sometimes it helps both paddlers escape the hole.
If you decide to run things close its a risk you take. In the end its your own fault for ending up in the hole.
If you cant make the line run it one at a time, go last or leave more space. Its not the person following you down fault that you missed your line and they shouldn't be expected to potentially get beatdown too because of your incompetence.

Having said that if you can miss them then you probably should, especially if they are upright or if its a tall drop. But in the end you accept the risk of someone landing on you when you decide to run down close to each other.

That photo is awesome, I want to see what happened next. Or video.

Unsponsored

Post by Unsponsored »

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

This rather entertaining clip was going around the other day too [Sound off for work or kids]

dave

RichA

Post by RichA »

Looked like plenty of time to make a line to the right of the hole and around the stuck paddler. Or even to move to one side slightly so if they rolled up mid-boof you'd be over the bow/stern and not in their face. Poor paddling in my opinion, even worse river running skills.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”