India visa questions

Inland paddling
Peter Brown

India visa questions

Post by Peter Brown »

Has anyone applied for an Indian visa recently? The website is a bit confusing, is this the site you used? https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/

What I want to do is fly into Delhi, pass through immigration, fly to Bhutan. Then land crossing back to India and fly out of Delhi. I'm hoping this is fine on standard tourist visa, has anyone done similar, possibly with Nepal rather than Bhutan?

Philip Mitchell

Re: India visa questions

Post by Philip Mitchell »

Hi Peter,

That is the correct website. Make sure you select the right Indian Mission when starting the form, for example I wanted to have my face to face appointment in Newcastle and therefore I had to select the Birmingham Mission. There is a list somewhere on the website. Another thing to bear in mind is that the visa starts from when it is issued, not from your arrival date in India- so keep that in mind also!

I'm not sure if there is another way for you to do it as a visa for 6 months or less, regardless of how short your time in India, costs ~100. Considering you're only going to be there for a few days as you pass, it makes it quite steep!

Hope that helps,

Phil

clarky999

Post by clarky999 »

The photo restrictions are very strict and have to be followed exactly - my photos form a standard passport photo booth thing were rejected as the background wasn't white enough.

I got my visa/passport back (postal application) within ten days (from the embassy in Vienna), though apparently it can take much longer.

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby »

it's not just the background that matters for the photo standard photo booths are the wrong size. There are new photo booths that do make the right size picture but submit a digital photo on line and the software sorts it out. Doesn't alter the fact that it is a frustrating on-line process.

clarky999

Post by clarky999 »

Can you do it online from the UK? Living in Austria I had to do it through the Vienna embassy, and it had to be by post. Some potential to fall through the cracks though: you have to apply in the country you're actually living in (I wasn't able to apply in the UK), but for Austria at least you have to have been living there for something like minimum 9 months before you're allowed to apply from their embassy.

Saying that, a Polish friend applied at the same time with photos from the same machine and was ok... Gotta love the consistency!

callum s

Post by callum s »

Hey Peter,

Indian Visa is relatively straightforward.

You need to fill in the online form found here: https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/info1.jsp. You will need to select a multiple entry tourist visa if you want to transit overland.

When the form is finished you need to book an appointment at the VFS centre. There is one in Leith Docks in Edinburgh (may also be one in Glasgow, check it out).

You need:
- your passport
- your printed application form
- about £100 (card payment is fine)
- 2x photos (In my experience they aren't really too strict on background etc but the photos need to be 2inch square, so a standard Photo Booth machine won't work. Also its easier and totally acceptable just to take physical photos in rather than submit them online)
- a prepaid royal mail special delivery envelope (they can do it for you at centre but costs twice as much).

If you are applying for an Indian Visa in the UK on a non-UK passport you additionally need:
- proof of residency dating back two years (e.g. council tax / electricity bills)
- to pay less (normally)
- a photocopy of any other passports you hold

I am dual national and I have applied on my American passport as it saves me about £50 takes a few days longer (8-10 working days vs 7-8).
clarky999 wrote:you have to apply in the country you're actually living in
Not necessarily: If you have a UK address you can use (e.g parents) and are applying in the UK on a UK passport you don't need to submit any proof of residence so shouldn't actually be a problem. However you would have to attend submission in person (although I think its possible to apply through a proxy but you may then need proof of residence).
Peter Brown wrote:What I want to do is fly into Delhi, pass through immigration, fly to Bhutan. Then land crossing back to India and fly out of Delhi. I'm hoping this is fine on standard tourist visa, has anyone done similar, possibly with Nepal rather than Bhutan?
As Phil said you will need a standard tourist visa - however if you fly back from Bhutan you may not need a visa at all (or only a transit visa). I would say paying a hundred quid for the privilege to bus across the plains for 3 days may not be worth it unless you are planning on doing something else there.

Slime

Post by Slime »

Hi Peter,

I take groups every two years to Bhutan and or India.

The Indian Visa process is incredibly frustrating and costly. Total of £108 when we did it last October.
Note - you do not need to attend an interview and can do the whole thing by post - I recommend this.

As someone else has said, unless you are desperately keen to exit overland then its better to fly into and out of Bhutan via Nepal - easier, friendlier and cheaper.

We did the Drangme Chhu river and this then ended in Manas National Park and India. A fabulous journey but we felt a bit bitter at the cost of the visa for just 3 days in India.

Happy planning,

Pete Knowles

Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Cheers for the info guys. Pete: how did you get home from Manas? I am flying from Guwahati (mega cheap to Delhi), if you did same I wonder how long it took to get to airport?

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

callum s wrote:Indian Visa is relatively straightforward.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby »

Mark R wrote:
Luckily my coffee cup was empty!
Brilliant!

callum s

Post by callum s »

*compared to other visas I have applied for such as a Russian Business visa (but for tourism) or a Pakistan Tourism visa...

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”