Paddle for Nepal River Dee

Inland paddling
Dave Manby

Paddle for Nepal River Dee

Post by Dave Manby » Thu May 07, 2015 7:53 pm

Paddle on the Dee in aid of Nepal anyone. One off Mike Jones style event paddling beer and a lecture in the evening? £20 a head say and all profit after expenses (hiring a hall for lecture) goes to CAN or Daz? What do people think? Can we get 500 on the river = £10,000 donation

roo

Re: Paddle for Nepal River Dee

Post by roo » Thu May 07, 2015 11:35 pm

Sounds like a plan

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby » Fri May 08, 2015 7:56 pm

27th/28th June it is.

I feel that buy running it 2+ months after the event we could bring it back into public conciousness

Now we need people to commit to coming either in person or virtually same price obviously. Also we need ideas of what to do other than go for a paddle.

Questions:

Do we need a big room to meet and show pics or should we find a speaker or ... I hope I can get Whit Deschner to put together a Nepal slide show.

We could sort out a few walks for those friends who are trekkers to come as well. ideas are easy putting them into place and getting people to turn up is the hard bit.

Rob Moffatt says he will help - we're meeting next week Wednesday at Poacher's Pocket Chirk all welcome to come and add ideas etc.

Most important is that even if you can't come you tell others (and enter virtually once we have sorted the technology!) Also post here to let us know you are coming - having an idea of numbers is so helpful for us who are putting this on.

John K

Post by John K » Fri May 08, 2015 8:20 pm

I can't make it but put me down as virtually being there.

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby » Fri May 08, 2015 8:42 pm

£20 from John K who isn't even coming, so this will work!

buck197

Post by buck197 » Sat May 09, 2015 6:37 am

Happy to put £20 in but can't make it.
Brian Taylor
Paddle Pirates

Mike M

Post by Mike M » Tue May 12, 2015 9:39 am

Sorry - out of the Country (paddling) so can't make it,but happy to donate £20.As well as running the event,it would be good if you could find a way to manage donations from paddlers like myself who can't comebut would like to support the event and its aims.Can the scope be increased to become the 'Uk paddling community supporting the Nepal earthquake victims' ? An event and donations could raise a serious amount (which with the publicity generated could raise even more ?) - more work, but worthwhile if we could make this into a huge fundraising event - good luck and let me know how to donate !
Born to paddle................forced to work.

twopigs

Post by twopigs » Tue May 12, 2015 10:40 am

Canoeing - bigger boat, broken paddle, more skill!

BigPhil

Post by BigPhil » Tue May 12, 2015 11:03 am

I'd be interested in the event and/or donating.

Sounds like Daz is doing some great work - consider donating if you haven't already - details here: http://www.purelandexpeditions.com/

Phil

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue May 12, 2015 11:33 am

Worrying news this morning of another earthquake close to Everest.

I've put it in my diary - not a promise to come but I'm defintely thinking about it.

I will also share to a group of people whom I know paddle the Dee pretty regularly and will probably be around so might as well try and get them to get involved!

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby » Tue May 12, 2015 8:29 pm

OK Nigel Conway has done a great fast job we have a page and facebook presence so you can start coming.http://www.davemanby.co.uk gets you there. Not sure where the facebook page is in the ether but no doubt I'll find out or Nigel will post it here.

As I say you don't have come physically you can have a virtual presence too. I'm think the likelihood of the Dee having water is slim so a canal paddle through two tunnels and over two aqueducts is a great alternative option.

Mike M

Post by Mike M » Tue May 12, 2015 8:59 pm

I've kicked off the donations on Daves page

https://www.justgiving.com/dee-paddle-nepal/

Heres hoping we can raise some serious money to help. If you've been lucky enough to paddle there you should want to donate as you know how fantastic the place is and how wonderful the people are. If you've never been you need to donate so the country can be helped and hopefully at a future date you can experience the brilliance of Nepal !!

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby » Tue May 12, 2015 9:54 pm

We will have an AUCTION!
So we need things to auction.
OK so those of you who came to the Steam Train Paddle will know about the auction of cardboard boxes. We will do this again. So if you have something you want to donate we will sell it.
Blind,
In a box.
With no reserve.
Just on a hunch bid.
Bidders will know who has donated but nothing more.
Last time Slime bought a collection of guide books to white water rivers!. We re-auctioned them - they fetched £5 second time around!

So you see where this is going - make the auction fun!

Donations can be anything -
an old life jacket (no old wetsuit boots accepted - we do have standards)
a place on a First aid course
A weekend in Bolton
Two weekends in Bolton (old joke)
Guiding down a river of the purchasers choice.
Five pints in a local pub
Brand new pair of paddles - manufacturer(s) to donate etc.

Any other idea/donations welcome

Voodoo

Post by Voodoo » Tue May 12, 2015 10:33 pm

This is not the repose you are looking for ~ Obi-Wan Kenobi

John K

Post by John K » Tue May 12, 2015 10:37 pm

Mike M wrote:I've kicked off the donations on Daves page

And I've put in my £20 as promised. Who's next?

BigPhil

Post by BigPhil » Wed May 13, 2015 12:23 pm

John K wrote:
Mike M wrote:I've kicked off the donations on Daves page

And I've put in my £20 as promised. Who's next?
Me too - done!

Mike M

Post by Mike M » Wed May 13, 2015 8:24 pm

42,996 members on UKRGB & only £130 raised so far ....................

morsey

Post by morsey » Fri May 15, 2015 1:46 pm

^^^ Personally I sent direct to Daz. From the feed, in other channels, lots of paddlers assisted in that way also.
Dee River Paddle for Nepal seems a good initiative.

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby » Fri May 15, 2015 7:04 pm

Daz is not a registered charity so you can't gift aid it. It makes a hell of a difference. 25% So you give £100 the governments adds £25.

Any cash raised by other means that is not gift aided will go to Daz. I've corresponded with Daz about this and he says it doesn't matter who the money goes to just so long as it goes.

purelandexpeditions.com

Post by purelandexpeditions.com » Sat May 16, 2015 5:19 am

All grass roots aid projects are doing so well for Nepal, true not reg charity - so you can't gift aid it. We believe the Dee paddle will be great for awareness and obviously funds.

It matters not who gets the money, all that matters is that the people that need the help to rebuild lives get the help they need.
Thank you everyone, Nepal is really suffering. Imagine Nepal is like your baby brother getting bullied at school, you always step in.

Quick maths
£16apx will feed a family for a month
£200 will provide a home

Rural village people in Nepal earn around £200 per year. We have met people that have lost 4 or more family members due to the quakes, children without parents and parents without children, homes and livestock gone. It is hard to comprehend. Even now 16-5-15 rural Nepal has yet to receive any government assistance and most are still without 'official' aid.

Most will know of the Bhote Kosi area - this has been described as like Hiroshima by Canadian Army. It is not an isolated area, many areas are 95% destroyed. We have aftershocks daily, landslides, falling buildings etc. People, even in Ktm are too scared to sleep inside. Sanitation is also an issue.

Thank you all again.

Daz and Andrea
Raft Kayak Trek Explore
purelandexpeditions.com

buck197

Post by buck197 » Sat May 16, 2015 11:52 pm

Tis done my £20 is on its way, feel embarrassed in that I spent more on booze tonight.
Brian Taylor
Paddle Pirates

Mark Coleman

Post by Mark Coleman » Sun May 17, 2015 12:32 pm

Like others I've already sent money to Daz direct.

Plus through the 'Allenbury Adventure Series' we are doing our own fund raising to help the guys at White Water Adventures Nepal help their communities - our fund raiser is this Tue 19th May - details of event and what the guys have acheived so far here http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/foru ... 5&t=118915

Plus I do think the 'Paddle for Nepal River Dee' is a great initative - good to keep Nepal in the news. I am planning to support and bringing as many friends as I can along to paddle and of course contribute to the fundraising.

Cheers,

Mark
Adventures on water, mountains & two wheels.

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby » Sun May 17, 2015 1:04 pm

Correspondences with Jonny Hawkins who is in Nepal.

Did Rob Moffat get in touch with you about coming to Llangollen to do a talk?

Hi Dave, yea he dropped me an email I am currently booked to fly back July 2nd but am trying to change it to mid June. I will know by today if this is feasible and let you both know. If i can change the flight i would be happy to come and do the talk.

Slime

Post by Slime » Mon May 18, 2015 10:34 am

I think this is a great way of supporting the Nepal Aid effort. I wish I could make, as it should be a lot of fun and will bring a lot of Himalayan paddlers together - sadly I am in France in June but of course I will be doing what I can to help Dave's event.

Several folk have asked me -
"WHY COMMUNITY ACTION NEPAL?"
For those who don't know it, this is a small charity run up here in Cumbria and headed up by Doug Scott (the famous Mountaineer). All the money they raise goes to Nepal and has always been TARGETTED AT THE REMOTE MOUNTAIN VILLAGES. Check out their website and you will see, like I did, that sadly those districts in Eastern and Central Nepal where they have concentrated their efforts (and have teams in) are by sad co-incidence the very
districts that have been worst hit by the earthquake.

I have personal experience of the charity and have been supporting them over many years and wholeheartedly recommend them. They are SMALL AND EFFECTIVE. Check out their website if you would like more info - there is an excellent recent report which gives you an idea of what is happening on the ground up in the hills. http://www.canepal.org.uk.

I urge you to support Dave's "Paddle for Nepal" and just giving page.

Thank you for your help!

Peter Knowles
Co-author (with Daz Clarkson) of White Water Nepal.

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby » Tue May 19, 2015 10:06 pm

Just had this come in from Phil Sephenson:-

Hi Dave,

I have been in touch with Llangollen Outdoors who now operate the Mile End Mill site.

They are happy to support the Nepal weekend and are just on with a project of stringing up 20 slalom gate - so game on!

I will get something up on the canoe slalom website and offer out a slalom training camp at £26 per head. £6 will go for use of the site
(that I think they will donate anyway) and the other £20 in to the Nepal Fund pot.

Cheers,

Stevo

Any one got any other offers to make this even better?

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Wed May 20, 2015 4:43 pm

This is an excellent effort! Nothing like it happening over here. Wish I could come.
I'll send some $$ over for sure.
dave

George Fell

Post by George Fell » Fri May 22, 2015 1:28 pm

Coolio - I'll be driving down from Northumberland and returning to Scotland. If anyone wants a lift email me.

Cheers,
G

Slime

Post by Slime » Fri May 22, 2015 4:33 pm

For the latest update of how bad things look up on the Bhote Kosi please see this brief report from Gerry Moffat -
I think this is a great little report - Gerry at his best - and also a fine exposition of why Nepal is so special to many of us and why we should support "Paddle for Nepal".

http://www.thunderdragonmedia.org/grace ... in-kodari/

Good luck!

Pete Knowles.

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby » Sat May 23, 2015 3:21 pm

OK this is set up for the evening - just need to know how many are coming so go to the facebook page and click away on the event attendance thingy. NOT on Facebook then reply here!

EVENING LECTURES.

18.00 DOORS OPEN BAR!

18.45 SHANGRI KOLA DESCENT. Slides+music discription of the 1st descent of this legendary river - unaffected by the earthquake. Presented (virtually) by WHIT DESCHNER

19.00 1st AUCTION ITEMS. Palm, Pyranha, PureLand Expeditions, Dave Surman, Alick Burt have already donated items - any more gratefully accepted.

19.30 BABU’S FLIGHT OFF AND PADDLE DOWN EVEREST. The film of BABU who climbed Everest then paraglided off the top and then paddled to the sea! Presented by PETE ASTLE of PEAK UK

Everest guide Lakpa Tsheri Sherpa and extreme kayaker Sano Babu Sunuwar were named the People’s Choice Adventurers of the Year for 2012 for their climb to Everest’s summit, record-setting paragliding descent and long-distance kayak from Nepal to the Bay of Bengal in India, the National Geographic Society said today.
The two Nepali adventurers were selected from a group of 12 individuals whose extraordinary achievements in exploration, conservation and adventure sports distinguished them in the past year, National Geographic said in a news statement. The final selection was determined through online voting on the National Geographic Adventure website .
(can’t make it to the weekend in Llangollen then read more here:- http://voices.nationalgeographic.com/20 ... -the-year/)

20.15 2nd AUCTION ITEMS Palm, Pyranha, PureLand Expeditions, Dave Surman, Alick Burt have already donated items - any more gratefully accepted.

20.30 JONNY HAWKINS REPORT FROM NEPAL More about this later when I have more details but Jonny is flying back early from Nepal to be here. He was on the Thuli Bheri when the earthquake happened and then went to help with the relief work. So I don’t have much information but it will be a first hand account!

21.15 Last AUCTION ITEMS Palm, Pyranha, PureLand Expeditions, Dave Surman, Alick Burt have already donated items - any more gratefully accepted.

21.30 THANKS.

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby » Wed May 27, 2015 9:44 pm

OK so town hall is booked a band is booked for the Sun "Age of Plastic" look 'em up if you need to. We have £910 donated via the just giving page https://www.justgiving.com/dee-paddle-nepal/ plus the gift aid so there is space for more donations! The last donation was 24th so don't delay keep donating. Better still donate on line (we get 25% extra from gift aid) AND turn up to the event where I can strip you of more money by selling you stuff: Guided paddle from Pure Lands Expeditions, dive holiday on a dive boat, Robson paddles, kayaks, guided trip on other rivers, T-shirts hoodies, pfds, pdfs, all sorts of stuff. Lectures and presentations. It is THE weekend to be in Llangollen paddling. (It is Glastonbury weekendso there will be water!)

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”