6.5 days in Italy - Advice Needed!

Inland paddling
Wavesportzg54

6.5 days in Italy - Advice Needed!

Post by Wavesportzg54 » Wed May 06, 2015 11:17 am

Heading out to Italy for the last week of May, this will be my 3rd trip to Val Sesia now..

We will be arriving Saturday in 1 car having driven down from Calais Eurotunnel, Sunday shall be our first day on the water, another car shall be arriving on Tuesday.

We had thought best to head to Campertogno first and find some other paddlers, paddle the Egua, Sermenza, Sermenzina, Gronda, Sesia for 4 days.

With such a short time in Val Sesia does anyone have any suggestions on other good rivers? Sessera or Strona anyone??

For the last 2.5 days I need some advice:

Option 1: Head to West Piedmonte near Ivrea and paddle Ayasse, Chuisella and Soana

Option 2: Head to Ticino and paddle Verzasca, Rovana, Ribo, Melezza...

Any information / advice on other rivers, places to stay etc etc would be greatly appreciated.

With regards to driving routes:
1) via the Mont Blanc Tunnel was looking like £100 Fuel & £130 Tolls and 710miles 12hrs which I have used previously

2) whereas via Reims, Metz, Basel, Lucerne, Bellinzona, Como was £100 Fuel & £70 Toll and 710miles 13hrs - Not tried this before anyone else?? This is the obvious route if we did Ticino on the last 2.5days but could also be the route there too. Seems a good cost saving for an extra 1hr driving anyone tried this??

Simon Westgarth

Re: 6.5 days in Italy - Advice Needed!

Post by Simon Westgarth » Wed May 06, 2015 1:29 pm

Option 2 on the driving will save you a bunch of money, and you'll be more likely to go back the same way. Plus you can get on the Moesa near Bellinzona to get a paddle in whilst you drive through Ticino.

The rivers in western Piemonte are more sporty creeking than Ticino, but both are harder locations in general to Valsesia. I'd make the call based on the water level conditions and how your group are doing with the conditions they find. For the last few days the lower altitude rivers around Verbana have been in, these are also worth the trip, if there has been enough rain.

Dan Yates.

Post by Dan Yates. » Wed May 06, 2015 5:35 pm

I would drive via mont Blanc , 1st day Ayasse and if it,s up do upper and town to mega slide sections , if it,s low do California and if it,s primo do all 3. Then drive to the top of the chuisella and wild camp in the car park. Day 2 if it,s up do chuisella if not do soanna then drive to campatogna. Day 3 middle and lower sermenza then lunch then semenzina then egua laps till your arms fall off. Day 4 sorba , gronda , mollia then drive to verzasca and wild camp at the put in. Day 5 am verzasca pm ribo. Day 6 rovana then drive home option 2 route.

brunolb

Post by brunolb » Wed May 06, 2015 7:42 pm

Last week of May, little chances of finding enough water on Strona/Sessera if snow melt continues at current pace, unless it rains... Enough stuff in the main Sesia valley to keep you happy 4 days. Maybe an idea for a little adventure:
http://www.ckfiumi.net/consulta.phtml/517/613
You have 2 decent options for the days after.

Have fun, heading there myself in 7 days, can hardly wait!

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”