Val Sesia, Aosta & Tessin Snow Pack

Inland paddling
PMB

Val Sesia, Aosta & Tessin Snow Pack

Post by PMB »

Hi guys,

Has anyone been up Val Sesia skiing lately? If so, do you know how much snow has dumped over the past couple of months? I'm heading to the valley 15-25th May so am keen to get a feel on what levels might be like. Last year when I was there in mid-May we had sunny days, but quite cold nights so I know temperatures will invariably have an impact on snowmelt, but I'm curious to know how much snow there is lying around.

Also, does anyone have any info on snow levels in the Aosta valley and in Tessin?

Oh, and can anyone recommend camping spots for Tessin?

Any thoughts then let me know.

Thanks,

Phil
Phil B

Simon Westgarth

Re: Val Sesia, Aosta & Tessin Snow Pack

Post by Simon Westgarth »

There is a lot of snow, not like last year, but lots.

Here's Matze from Spade Kayaks in Gressoney during early March. The snow pack looks equally as impressive as his front somersault.

clarky999

Post by clarky999 »

Snow line is SUPER high in Aosta (or was a couple of weeks ago anyway). Nothing at all below about 2000m, and reasonable but not huge amounts higher up. Plenty at 4000+m mind:

Not sure how that compares to normal, but there's certainly less snow than in Austria above 1800m or so.

PMB

Post by PMB »

Thanks Simon & Clarky
clarky999 wrote:Snow line is SUPER high in Aosta (or was a couple of weeks ago anyway). Nothing at all below about 2000m, and reasonable but not huge amounts higher up. Plenty at 4000+m mind:

Not sure how that compares to normal, but there's certainly less snow than in Austria above 1800m or so.
Well I'll be heading to Austria for boating in June as well that suits me fine! Clarky, I'm going to send you a PM about 'not in the guidebook' runs east of Innsbruck in a second.

Phil
Phil B

PMB

Post by PMB »

Any local information worth sharing on here guys? I'll be at Campertogno on Friday so am looking forward to a post-drive run down the Sesia in the afternoon to cool down :D
Phil B

Xan

Post by Xan »

I have friend there just now. Feedback is levels are a good medium and rising by the day. WEather seems to have warmed up releasing the remaining snow off the hills and think there was some rain last week too.

Simon Westgarth

Post by Simon Westgarth »

It is happy days here right now.

A big storm is due on Friday, but hot hot days has been melting lots of snow in the mid altitudes. Runs like the Gronda are good in the afternoon, but low in the mornings. The Alta Sesia is juicey. Valsesia River Festival next week

The Chuckster

Post by The Chuckster »

Looking good, we arrive Saturday! Where is that photo Simon?

Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

It looks like the lower Sermenza to me.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”