Waka Kayaks... A my experience shared...

Inland paddling
MBAdventures

Waka Kayaks... A my experience shared...

Post by MBAdventures »

Hi All,

just a wee experience shared about the Waka Kayaks.. All is good, hope you agree..

http://www.mbadventures.co.uk/blog

Hope this link works?

Matt B

DaveBland

Re: Waka Kayaks... A my experience shared...

Post by DaveBland »

Interesting read. 'Speshly as I've just got back from first day out of the new season here. Sweet times and a few less than sweet lines in my Stomper.
Ive heard the Tuna is a bit like a fast Stomper with awesome connectivity through the outfitting.
I'm only 70kgs, but the rivers here in the Rockies are a bit higher vol than Scotland.
How heavy are you? I didn't see you mention in your post.
dave

MBAdventures

Post by MBAdventures »

Hi David,

I'm 80kgs and it works fine for me. Have a safe time in the Rockies.

Joe L

Post by Joe L »

I paddled a Tuna for the first time in NZ this winter. Jumped in my friends without moving anything and it immediately felt amazing. Its the only boat I have ever got in that I felt made me better. Straight away I was hitting moves and eddies that I hadnt been able to in other boats. I have paddled a raptor for 4 years and felt happier in the Tuna after one run than I do in that.
I am about 73kg and it felt like it fitted me pretty well.
Havent personally paddled the Tutea but only heard great things about it. Kenny Mutton apparently took it for a time trial down the Kaituna and posted the same time as in the Tuna.

I can definitely see the point in the blog about the Tuna being harder work on very low volume runs though.

edenvalley

Post by edenvalley »

So do we think the Tutea will be any good for British low volume rivers, i paddle a Nomad 8.1 and it works for this style of river. But i am starting to want a boat with a planing hull and rails. Do we know if the plastic will hold up ? I am interested.

MBAdventures

Post by MBAdventures »

The plastic? The boat is light, I have battered mine of rocks and so far any dents have disappeared as the plastic warmed up. I think any splits or holes will come due to bad luck.. Not manufacture error.

GlennT

Post by GlennT »

Ive just gone from a Zet to a Tuna and it has put a smile back on my face! The Tuna is lighter but not at the cost of any sturdiness in construction, imho. Interestingly the Waka boats are now manufactured in the Czech Republic, as with the Zets, and they seem to share the same ruggid construction as the Zet.

I havent paddled the Tutea but I have seen it paddled and it floats really well and is clearly fast like it's bigger sibling.

I know everyone has the pet hates and likes with boats as well as their own paddling styles; for me the Tuna has given me back something more than I had with the Burn, in terms of agility and responsiveness, but retaining the speed and sure-footedness of the Zet, which the Burn never had.

With the copious bow rocker the Tuna flies over holes and makes boofing much easier than the Zet, imho.

But hey this is just my opinion. Get out there and demo a Waka or blag a go in one!

Glenn

sundaykayaker

Post by sundaykayaker »

I tried a friends boat on a weir and instantly felt comfortable in it. Did not adjust anything. being short my feet weren't even touching the foot rests. JUST FELT GOOD :)
About to order the boat...
after reading this need some HELP
Will it be OK in low to medium water levels? WELSH rivers or the lower Dart my usual haunts.
- Given, its a creak boat designed for racing High volume water.
HELP>>>HELP>>>

James Hartley

Post by James Hartley »

If you liked it having tried it, then you should be fine in it. While the boat plays a part, it is the paddler that makes the difference
The more apparently complex an act, the more vital it is to search until you find its inner simplicity
Feed the rat

sundaykayaker

Post by sundaykayaker »

So sold my trusted Mamba 8.1 and bought the Tuna.
What an amazing machine.

Plus side,
Light, 20kg
Outfitting simple
Seating position High,
(with the Mamba I had to stick extra Foam in to raise the seat)

Minus Side
Seating position is High - so have to re learn rolling, (as have to reach up and out of the water further with the paddle.)

Over all
super fast point and shoot boat. That Turns on a the spot and Surfs well too.
I am 80kg 5'6" so at the bottom end of the weight range.
But Behaves like a small boat and is stable as a barge.
Love this boat...
Have named it Tina LoL..

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

Managed to blag a Tuna for tomorrow. Interesting to compare it with my Stomper 80 off the water as I was packing my kit together. They are supposed to be the same volume but the Tuna feels bigger and wider. It seems to be a bit lighter although the Stomper is a bit damp still.
The outfitting in the Tuna is good straight off the bat, but I have my Stomper padded and tuned for me.
I am excited to give it a go although gut's telling me I may prefer the smaller Tutea.
dave

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

…well, blimey, that was not what I expected.
I don't know how they measure their volumes but it's huge. Way too big for me. I just sat so high in the water in it and edging it was hard work as it's so wide.
It is pretty fast though and I'm sure the smaller Tutea would be a great boat for my 11 stone. I'd be really excited to try one. What I could make out of the handling seemed sharp.

Looking at the comments above I'd disagree a bit and think that it would suit heavier paddlers well. Boy, is it wide with a lot of volume on your lap and knees.

Had a first go in a slalom boat on ww in 30 years though – now that was fast and fun!
dave

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”