European grade 3 (4) in mid-June

Inland paddling
Paramillitaryblobby

European grade 3 (4) in mid-June

Post by Paramillitaryblobby »

Looking for a bit of advice on paddling destinations for the summer please :)

Our club is staying in L'argentiere then Landeck for a week each late June/early July but there's a group of us wanting to go out a bit earlier and do another week somewhere else beforehand.
The criteria we have are:
- Grade 3, with maybe a bit of 4 (it's a small group and we want something chilled)
- Easyish logistics-we've just got one car so will be taking a bike but somewhere easy to hook up for shuttles would make life easier!
- Will have water in the middle of June
- Not in the areas around L'argentiere or Landeck

The obvious place that springs to mind is Slovenia and while I've nothing against it we were all there last year so something new would be good

Anyone got any suggestions?

Mark Dixon

Re: European grade 3 (4) in mid-June

Post by Mark Dixon »

Theres loads to do in both those destinations, Landeck is superb and a fantastic Pizzeria at the Sanna takeout, L'Argentiere is a great place to start and meet up with boaters to find out levels. The Guil is magnificent and my favourite river in technicality and landscape views in Europe I've paddled. Briancon Gorge is also beatiful.
It can be pretty fast water in both destinations so though theres a lot of grade 3/3+ the consequenses of a swim can be grade 4, never been to Slovenia yet so cant help you with a comparison but have been told its mostly easier runs so leaving it till I'm older.
Mark

PMB

Post by PMB »

I guess it depends what you mean by 'around the areas of Landeck and Argentiere' and how quickly you get through the runs closest to where you are staying. In Austria, I presume the kind of runs you'll be planning on doing are the Sanna, Trisanna, Rosanna and the Imst Gorge.

There's enough rivers within striking distance of Landeck to keep you busy for 3 weeks at that time of the year, paddling 2 rivers a day. Aside from the immediate Landeck area there's Engadin (the Swiss Inn) which is a hop, skip and jump over the border and has some fantastic gorges. And in Oetztal there's some brilliant stretches of water - certainly amongst the best in the whole Alps. These are primarily class IV runs, although there are some predominantly grade IIIs with a couple of IVs and some easier IV stretches.

In Engadin you can run most shuttles with the train if you can't get a lift - research times in advance. Likewise, in Oetztal you can get the bus up the valley which works well.

Recommendations:
Schuls Gorge - Switzerland, about 1hr 30 mins drive from Landeck and you should be able to thumb a lift on the shuttle
Finstermunzer Gorge - Switzerland, a pleasant grade III but you'll want to make sure you portage the two Vs
Giarsun Gorge - Switzerland, harder with continuous grade IV in the gorge, but none of it is desperate. Perhaps one to work up to once you're feeling comfortable on the easier stuff?
Toesens section of the Inn - Austria, big & bouncy
Phil B

jriddell

Post by jriddell »

Join us on the Riu Noguera Pallaresa by Sort (the 1992 olympic site) in the pyranees

http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/3 ... 002/1.2270

1 river, miles of lovely rapids and some freestyle fun a Sort.

http://brucejolliffe.com/kayaking-catal ... nary-week/

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper »

All helpful suggestions but I guess 'not in the areas around L'argentiere or Landeck' would suggest somewhere not so very remote from these areas. Switzerland would seem to be an obvious suggestion, I have heard good things about the Upper Rhone; some recent additions to the South Alps Guidebook.

eeonz

Post by eeonz »

Plenty in Switzerland to get on with.

http://www.rivermap.ch/map.html#sprache ... 080&zoom=6

Can't comment on logistics though - except stock up on food in France before heading over the border.
http://www.iboutdoor.com- Your outdoor resource!

Paramillitaryblobby

Thanks all-some useful advice there.
Bruce, being students we're not going to be able to afford you I'm afraid.

but has anyone got any info on levels in the Pyranees in mid June? I've heard the season is earlier but there are dam releases?

With regards not being too far from the other destinations, we don't mind a bit of a drive-Slovenia to France to Austria would be fine by us so any ideas are welcome!

LSmith4285

Post by LSmith4285 »

The Noguera Pallaresa is dam fed and releases like clockwork for 4 hours per day between the 15th of April and the 15th of October in an agreement the local council and rafting companies have with the hydro owners as it boosts tourism.

There are some lovely sections with continuous grade 3 and a little grade 4.

If you speak to the local kayak shop in Sort they will be able to advise of what time the water reaches each section of the river.

Paramillitaryblobby

Thanks-sounds like it could be a good option!

Does anyone know what water levels in Upper Bavaria are likely to be like in mid/late June?

LSmith4285

Post by LSmith4285 »

Barvaria was pretty empty when we arrived on the 6th of July last year but you might get luckier than we did.

clarky999

Post by clarky999 »

I think you'll be relying on rain for anything above low levels at that point. Snowfall in the Northern Alps was -2% from average (so a LOT better than last year), but a lot of that came late and thus didn't consolidate and stick around at lower altitudes.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”