River Wye Trip

Inland paddling
huw_jenks

River Wye Trip

Post by huw_jenks »

Hi folks, I'm new to this forum and just looking for a bit of advice about a trip I'm planning with some friends.

We're planning to do a few days paddling down the river Wye in tandem canoes, six people for about four days probably. We're all experienced paddlers (all 3*, some Level 2 coaches) but we've never planned a multiday river trip before so that's why I need some advice. How much distance do people think we can cover in a days paddling? Some of the hire companies suggest multiday trips averaging 10 miles a day, this seems a pretty conservative estimate to me. I want to finish the trip in Chepstow, so for a four day trip should we be looking to start in Hereford? Or even Hay?

Answers and any further advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks
Huw

RichTyler

Re: River Wye Trip

Post by RichTyler »

You should be able to do approx. 25-30km a day quite easily in tandem canoes if you have favourable river levels, weather, and group fitness. That would put your start point around Hereford (121km) if aiming to finish at Chepstow, starting at Hay would add around another 50km to the trip which would be a bit ambitious in my opinion, especially if you are not actually paddling for 4 complete days (e.g. starting a bit late on the first day and finishing early on the 4th day).

I would personally start a bit below Hereford so you can enjoy it more and not have to be concious of making a lot of mileage each day :)

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Rich

huw_jenks

Post by huw_jenks »

RichTyler wrote:You should be able to do approx. 25-30km a day quite easily in tandem canoes if you have favourable river levels, weather, and group fitness. That would put your start point around Hereford (121km) if aiming to finish at Chepstow, starting at Hay would add around another 50km to the trip which would be a bit ambitious in my opinion, especially if you are not actually paddling for 4 complete days (e.g. starting a bit late on the first day and finishing early on the 4th day).

I would personally start a bit below Hereford so you can enjoy it more and not have to be concious of making a lot of mileage each day :)

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Rich
Thanks Rich, I've been chatting to the group about it and we agree that Hereford is the most ideal start point. Thanks for the advice.

twicezero

Post by twicezero »

Distances are very dependent on water levels and your goal. Today we did 38 miles in 7 hours on the Wye - we are training for the Yukon, but it's achievable - we are neither young nor super fit. But I agree that if you want to play, enjoy the sights, and stop for lunch then rich's timings will give you lovely paddles and take into account lower summer flows and the odd spot of wind.

The section below Hereford before Ross is lovely - very much worth paddling, it gets wider and windier as you get down river, and of course the last bit down to Chepstow is tidal too. The section from Glasbury is possibly the most fun section and perhaps my favourite, do you need to finish at Chepstow as you could move the paddle up river? You may want to paddle a tidal section - I keep putting off as people mention mud.

chriscw

Post by chriscw »

As a rough guide 25KM is around 16 miles in English units. You could plan to do up to 20 miles in a day if you need to in order to get to camp sites but you will need to push it a bit, if doing more than 20 miles then you will need to consider not stopping for lunch, you can do some distance rafted up and Munching.... Of course if the river is stonking then more distance is easier. Shorter paddles will allow more time for playing around, stopping at places of interest etc.

You need to consider how long you will need to pitch and strike camp, any daily car movements and any shopping time when making your plans.
Chris Clarke-Williams
Location Basingstoke

Paddling Interests:
Touring, Coaching Beginners (I am an L2K), Surf White water trips, Weir Play (I'm not good enough to put freestyle!)

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”