Broken blades, what to do?

Inland paddling
Notters

Broken blades, what to do?

Post by Notters » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:08 am

I have a set of mitchell blades (jaguar carbon hybrid thingys). cut a long story short we parted company and now they are broken across the blade, still attached but rather more flexible than i'd be comfortable with.

Mitchell want £150 to replace the blade which is prety steep but considering the man hours to repair them i guess not.

As i'm a pretty tight miserable scotsman, what do people recommend? I'd hate to see them go to waste.

Notters
Notters@Team_Borders

DaveWortley

Re: Broken blades, what to do?

Post by DaveWortley » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:39 am

Pick up some cheap second hand paddles?

jamiemagee

Post by jamiemagee » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:32 am

Mend them with fibreglass tape maybe?

Bigfish

Post by Bigfish » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:02 am

I have a left hand Mitchell blade and shaft u could make a pair of splits quite easily, up and under sell the bit you would need. I just bought new because in English ;-)

Notters

Post by Notters » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:24 am

How easy is it to make splits, are there kits for doing it? Is it some sort of spigot you glue into the shaft?
Notters@Team_Borders

Rory W

Post by Rory W » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:44 pm

Pic? Shouldn't be too big a job to fix them depending how bad the damage is. Have a search for composite repairs on the sea kayaking bit for some instructions.

Joseph:)

Post by Joseph:) » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:35 pm

I broke the blade on my Werner double diamonds recently, took me an hour or so and a bit of chiselling but it's now replaced, if you can find a replacement blade then it would cost less than £10.
If you're struggling with finding the same blade to replace it with you could always replace it with a similar but different blade, I have two sets of odd-ended paddles now and I honestly can't tell the difference between them.

If you want to know how to do it let me know, I asked a few companies and they seem to guard it as a secret for some reason.

Joe

Simongelder

Post by Simongelder » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:53 pm

Personally I would have a go at laminating carbon fibre or carbon Kevlar mat on the face and the back of the cracked blade. I would use epoxy resin and maybe use two or three layers of strips about 10 to 15 cm wide across the blade. I would then reinforce the spine by layering strips of approx 10 cm width and up to 20cm length longitudinally on front and back. This will produce a cross shape.

Any repair is only as good as the surface preparation and conditions the repair is done in. Abrade the surfaces well and clean with alcohol or acetone. Do the repair at room temperature and allow to cure for a couple of weeks indoors at room temp. If the blade is really bendy do one side first and allow to set then do other side the next day.

I have managed to keep a set of cracked carbon Kevlar slalom paddles going indefinitely after doing the above. Admittedly I avoid using them anywhere to shallow and rocky and have also turned them into splits. They are still my blades of choice whilst surfing and have shown no signs of delamination. The relative weight difference on one side is not noticeable even at a relatively 200cm overall length.

The materials can be quite pricey if ordered online and you will get more than you need. Either cadge some off someone else (eg keen slalom/WWR/polo/surf paddler) or track down a local kayak/paddle/surf board manufacturer and talk to them nicely to buy enough for what you need. They will be able to give good advice as well!

With patience and thrifty sourcing of materials you should be able to do this for less than £20.

Good luck!

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”