Nepal v. Chile: how much?

Inland paddling
banzer

Nepal v. Chile: how much?

Post by banzer »

A couple of pals and I have a possible 10 day trip coming up to either Nepal or India, in about Sept / Oct next year. From what I can gather, Sept is ok for Nepal and later in Oct would be better for Chile. Can anyone tell me roughly how much we would need to spend on each trip? Flights, basic digs, transport; a fair degree of logistics arranged for us so we can maximise time on the river? We assume Nepal will be a fair bit cheaper?

Many thanks
Rich.
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

BigPhil

Re: Nepal v. Chile: how much?

Post by BigPhil »

My information is 10 years out of date but I think you are right. It's a better time to go to Nepal. I think chile is best nov-dec for creeking at least around pucon, later for the futa etc. It will be more expensive to get to Chile and talks much longer. Nearer Western prices for living costs in Chile, dirt cheap in nepal. Much better accessible creeking in chile, better multiday adventures in nepal. Ask ben may kayak chile and daz Clarkson for up to date info.

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby »

You could probably do 10 days in India/Nepal for the price of the flight to Chile!

saturday seth

Post by saturday seth »

Chile is very expensive

freddie

Post by freddie »

10 Days in Chile isn't really enough time, and would be quite expensive, especially compared to Nepal.
You'd be looking at £40-odd/day to hire a truck, plus if you don't fly a boat, renting one isn't that cheap and you'd have to waste time getting one.

If you want to do good creeking around Pucon, you'd want to be there October/November.
For 10 days, I'd fly into Santiago with a boat, go straight to the Maipo, then Claro for a few days, then head south via the Laja and Cautin, then to Pucon for the Puesco, Palguin, Trancura, Maichin, Nevados (if it rains), and then you'd have to drive back as it's a very long drive.
If you really wanted to do the Futa, you could fly into Bariloche and hire a truck in Argentina (super expensive) and drive to the Futa, and then go to the Baker (1.5 days drive south) and Bravo (another days drive south) and back.

Anything for that short a time period would involve silly amounts of driving and be very expensive.

Nepal sounds like a much better bet for a 10 day trip, and could be done super cheap if you want too.
Lee Royle
Adventure Blog

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby »

If you do India, you can fly Virgin with kayaks and don't have to fly on to KMD. There is loads to paddle there but I would give the Tsrap/Zanskar a miss for a few years!

Ian.Adey

Post by Ian.Adey »

So last year Nepal cost me £550 for a flight and £550 spending money for 5 weeks including flying a boat out and back. (a few multi day trips kept the cost down as well. Nov into December

The previous year 7 weeks in Chile cost me £1850 (truck hire being a big part of this) including the cost of buying a new boat then selling it over there. - worked out cheaper to do this than friends who hired boats. Nov-Dec into January

Hope that helps,

Ian
Guiding and Coaching in the Lakes,UK & Europe

banzer

Post by banzer »

Wowser.... it's looking like Nepal! Thanks all
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby »

India on the Western Nepal border was very good - we were there last year two brilliant couple of nights at a time over night trips very little "down time" travelling between rivers.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”