Swim hand paddles as spares for river running

Inland paddling
colonelorbit

Swim hand paddles as spares for river running

Post by colonelorbit »

Need to get some spare paddles to fit in my boat and fancy using hand paddles as they are smaller and cheaper and would be good to practice my hand rolls - but don't want to go to the expense of Riverholics only to find I don't get on with them.

There are loads of hand paddles designed for swimmers on the market, many have thin elastic cords to hold them on which probably wouldn't be effective, but there are some around with better-looking straps that might be good and thy're pretty cheap.

Has anyone tried the Aqua Sphere Ergo paddles or recommend any other brand of hand paddles for river running / creeking.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aqua-Sphere-Erg ... B004XG79HE
John

HES Ltd - EnvL Scientist and Engineer

eeonz

Re: Swim hand paddles as spares for river running

Post by eeonz »

I'd be very keen to find out how they hold up - they look pretty good. Would be nice to know if you can get them off quick to pull a deck or grab a boat etc. That and whether those wrist straps will last.
Last edited by eeonz on Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.iboutdoor.com- Your outdoor resource!

Tiny Dancer

Post by Tiny Dancer »

I know a few folk that have hand paddles from http://www.riveraholic.com, namely the pro-paddles..
I have used them before, pretty handy..

AS Watersports

Post by AS Watersports »

I bought the Aquasphere ones.

Not powerful enough

colonelorbit

Post by colonelorbit »

Was worried about that, the straps look good, but the paddle face looks only just bigger than the hand, and much smaller than the Riverholics -

anyone tried anything else?
John

Mark Dixon

Post by Mark Dixon »

I have the Riverholics and take them as splits quite often, I have paddled a fair bit of 3+ with them and they are fun, Treweryn is pretty easy with them if that gives you an idea, rolling is pretty easy too. I have had to use them on the Upper Dart once 2/3rds way down when someone lost their paddle, it was ok but I dont think I'd be that keen on the Mad Mile with them so I now carry real splits if the section warrents it. Hope that helps.
Mark

Poke

Post by Poke »

Tiny Dancer wrote:pretty handy..
Wa-haaaay...
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

goatboy

Post by goatboy »

colonelorbit wrote:Was worried about that, the straps look good, but the paddle face looks only just bigger than the hand, and much smaller than the Riverholics -

anyone tried anything else?
I was getting on with making some in carbon, for surfing purposes. Stopped for a while, due to the cold weather (epoxy setting issues), but will be getting back to it soon.

Am also wondering how hard it would be to pop the deck with them on.

G.B.

colonelorbit

Post by colonelorbit »

not too worried about popping a deck, I'm sure with decent strapping similar to the Pro paddles it should be OK - think the preferred method is to use the thumbs to hook the deck loop or use a knee strap on the deck - just need to make sure you have a safety line on the paddles in case you drop them and your deck loop is easy to hook.

Would be very interested to see those carbon hand paddles
John

Mark Dixon

Post by Mark Dixon »

I got took the Hero line in my S6 and got totally smashed in the Washing Machine on Dart Loop at a good level and was determined not to let go of my new paddles, took about 6 rolls and a good minute or so of being worked but I felt a lot more confidence of successfully escaping with hand paddles than I would with a real paddle. I am a bit unsure about being attached to them with string but think there must be an alternative way of attaching a small clourfull ball float releasable in case of a swim so you can at least locate the paddle/s??

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”