Eastern Austria guides

Inland paddling
Bob Mckee

Eastern Austria guides

Post by Bob Mckee »

Just trying to find a little bit of info for the area around the Enns river, Koppentruan etc in Austria. I've paddled the Koppentraun but not a lot else in that direction.

Are there any English guides for those areas? Or is just a matter of researching online?

I know some of the local tourist boards in Austria have helped to produce mini guides for their areas e.g. Otztal and East Tyrol. Is there anything similar available for the above regions? Or for that matter anywhere else? South Tyrol for example?

Chris_Eastabrook

Re: Eastern Austria guides

Post by Chris_Eastabrook »

There's a wealth of information here: http://4-paddlers.com/61/index.html website is hard to link to, but there's an english version, click flow info, then rivers and then select Austria.

Lots of random places but is Austrian so has that covered!

Steve Brooks

Post by Steve Brooks »

At the moment there are no up-to-date English guide books for Austria!
I am in the process of writing one but it is not so simple with Austrian regulations etc.

If you are heading over to the East you will find plenty of information about the Koppentraun, Enns and Salza when you are there. Also there is a good kayaking community around the Salza and they will point you in the right direction.

Steve
Kayak School Arlberg - Austria

Bob Mckee

Post by Bob Mckee »

Thanks guys.

I already knew about the online paddle guide seems like that's what most people use.

Steve, you say if we head East we'll find the info once there. Best place to look?????

Good luck with the book, would be awesome to have that in print.

Thanks

Bob

clarky999

Post by clarky999 »

More central than East really, but Lofer wouldn't be a bad place to start. LOTS of kayakers there in the summer, the campsite is the get in for the Teufelsschlucht of the Saalzach (REALLY fun, but watch out for siphons), and there's a kayak shop nearby (kayak-X or something?).

Schladming probably wouldn't be too bad too. Right by the Untertalbach which looks like a shit tonne of fun, and there's a rafting centre in the town. I get the impression quite a few boaters live in the area too (google VBoyz Austria).

Bob Mckee

Post by Bob Mckee »

Thanks Clarky

I've been to Lofer quite a few times and really enjoy the paddling around there. We'd probably swing by on our way through.

Schladming is on the Enns right?

Any Untertalbach info would be awesome, along with other creeks in that area. That's just the info I'm after!!!

Steve Brooks

Post by Steve Brooks »

Bob,
What month are you planning on being there?
Steve

Bob Mckee

Post by Bob Mckee »

Looking at being over there around the last week in May. Was hoping to get on the brandy which I've never managed to get done, then head somewhere for a few days from there. Only gonna have six or seven days I think, so trying to make a half decent plan first. Other option is Tessin but did that last year.

Steve Brooks

Post by Steve Brooks »

If you want to run the Brandi then keep checking our website as we have the Brandi Gauge there. If you only have 6 or 7 days then go and check out Karwendel. It is not far from the Brandi has some wild, remote gorges and some sweet creeks and you can easily spend 4 days there boating. You can also run some rivers in Tiroler Unterland that should be working around that time.

I doubt the UTB will be running then, it normally takes some dedicated locals to go in with chainsaws and take out a lot of the avalanche debris.

Salzkammergut (SKG) is a good area to visit around that time. You can ask some locals in Lofer to point you in the right direction, if you are going to kayak the Koppentraun on a weekend you will meet up with kayakers that again can point you in the right direction.

Steve

Bob Mckee

Post by Bob Mckee »

Cool. That all sounds pretty doable.

I thought about the karwendel but wasn't really sure of what rivers to be looking at around there. Any suggestions? Are we talking about the krottenbach, walchen etc etc?

We've paddled a little in the salzkammergut (lammerofen) any other top tips for there? Is the gimbach around there?

Sorry for all the questions. I am doing a bit of research I promise. Just trying to narrow it all down to specific rivers / areas.

Basically I can't wait for your book Steve! It'll make our annual Austria trips a lot easier!!!!

PMB

Post by PMB »

Bob,

There is quite a bit of stuff online, especially on the 4 Paddlers site. If you need any Austrian river guides from t'internet translating into English let me know. Google translate doesn't work so well with this sort of stuff.

Fluent German speaking paddler,

Phil
Phil B

Bob Mckee

Post by Bob Mckee »

Cool.

Thanks for that Phil. I'll have a look and get back to you if there's stuff I'm struggling with.

Really appreciate the help.

Cheers

Bob

scottdog007

Post by scottdog007 »

If you are driving your own car make sure you have your car registration documents with you. Not copies but the original. It is illegal in Austria not to have them with you. Last year I was stopped and they initially wanted me to stop driving until I had them sent over, in the end they gave me a 30€ fine. :-(

clarky999

Post by clarky999 »

^^Also as a foreigner the driver must have your/their passport in the car with you, or risk a €1000 fine.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”