Insurance for courses

Inland paddling
stevenb

Insurance for courses

Post by stevenb »

Im after some possible advice, We have someone in our club that is able to provide us with first aid training, its his job for his employer. He has offered to make a tailored course for us and the BCU have approved it.

My question is where is he insured from someone if they for example stub their toe while doing CPR. is it our clubs insurance, or the BCU, Its not his as he dosnt have personal liability insurance, the club could say he is running a course for them so then he might come under our insurance (provided by the BCU) he isnt delivering a BCU courses so i doubt his BCU insurance covers him (He is a coach)

Any one got any idea where we start.

Steve

Fast Pat

Re: Insurance for courses

Post by Fast Pat »

Two possibilities:

He is running a First Aid course which is a prerequisite for BCU course - he is covered under his BCU insurance.

The club is offering a course to its members - its covered under the clubs policy.

Either way I think you are over thinking this one.

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper »

If I come round to your house to help you fix your fence and then I hit my thumb with a hammer, who do I sue?

twopigs

Post by twopigs »

Adrian Cooper wrote:If I come round to your house to help you fix your fence and then I hit my thumb with a hammer, who do I sue?
The vendor of the hammer .... it is obviously not fit for purpose.
Canoeing - bigger boat, broken paddle, more skill!

twopigs

Post by twopigs »

stevenb wrote:Im after some possible advice, We have someone in our club that is able to provide us with first aid training, its his job for his employer. He has offered to make a tailored course for us and the BCU have approved it.

My question is where is he insured from someone if they for example stub their toe while doing CPR. is it our clubs insurance, or the BCU, Its not his as he dosnt have personal liability insurance, the club could say he is running a course for them so then he might come under our insurance (provided by the BCU) he isnt delivering a BCU courses so I doubt his BCU insurance covers him (He is a coach)

Any one got any idea where we start.

Steve
HI Steve

Did you get an answer from Nottingham?
Canoeing - bigger boat, broken paddle, more skill!

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper »

If he is a member of the BCU (CE, BC) and is a coach operating under his own name rather than as a company, my guess is he will be covered under the public liability insurance provided to all members. Check this for further information:

http://www.ps-bcu-insurance.com/files/H ... 0Cover.pdf

Grumpy old man

Post by Grumpy old man »

Hi
If he became a temporary member of your club would that not cover him?
Paddle well, Have fun.

Lloyd Allin

stevenb

Post by stevenb »

Thanks for all the information,

I haven't got round to calling Nottingham yet. He is a full member and wont be paid but the club will charge for the course.

As you know first aid courses are needed for coaching but only cover actual first aid. in order to cover the rest you need to bolt other courses on to deal with things that actually happen when boating. the mountain first aid courses are really good.

We wanted to set up a course that covers all the required first aid CPR, cuts, and all the other problems you get but in a boating situation. so it will be mainly based on the side of the river which is the environment we all use. The normal first aid courses are all covered in the class room.

We want to allow members to have access to a first aid course but its only useful if the BCU accept it. We have a trainer (its his job in the fire service) the BCU have accepted his course syllabus but the provider has been asking about insurance, hence my question.

Thanks again for all the help.

Steve
Northampton Canoe and Kayak Club

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”