Corsica water levels in April

Inland paddling
robertp2

Corsica water levels in April

Post by robertp2 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:22 pm

Can anyone please comment on the reliability of Corsica water levels in April?
If heard it can be very unpredictable?

Cheers.

Dave Manby

Re: Corsica water levels in April

Post by Dave Manby » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:40 pm

No - no one can. Corsica water level are unpredictable.

Simon Westgarth

Post by Simon Westgarth » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:10 pm

Over the last winters, several Czech groups have started to go to Corsica at New Year's, the conditions are nearly always excellent, but it can be cold and certainly wet so they stay in Gites that are cheaper to hire at that time of year. The last time I was there the locals rate February as the best month, warmer and longer days. Traditionally Germans and now Brits go in April, because they wish to camp, it's even warmer then, but the water levels can be all over the place, but you'll likely get something to paddle, especially if it rains, which is no fun to camp in. The Italians go over the 1st May holiday, because that's when they go, as Easter paddling can be colder although the conditions are much like April.

Thus winter is often good water, but cold, spring is warmer but low water.

Simon

Post by Simon » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:39 am

Dave Manby wrote:No - no one can. Corsica water level are unpredictable.
Unpredictable, but not unreliable.

Corsica has various types of paddling all within the one island.
  • 1. Higher volume, almost UK type rivers, low down in the valleys that work when it rains.

2. Steeper lower volume stuff up in the mountains that are brought up by sun and snow-melt.

3. And even steeper stuff in places (the Corsican classics) that need low volumes of water, and so you are praying for no sun and no rain.
There is a very very good chance that you will find good water in Corsica in April as long as you have done your research and know where to go to match the weather forecast, and are prepared to drive around the island to get to the best river.

This is quite a frequent question, nearly every January someone pops up in this forum asking about Corsican water levels in the spring. So a search of past posts using keywords like Corsica and April should give you lots more information.

As will: http://www.simondawson.com/crsindx.htm

Enjoy

Simon

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:47 am

Yeah but I went three times in the 80s - twice we had great water and did all the classics, the third time it was shit. Snowing up top so no water down below as nothing was melting and it would have been a miserable two week trip so we bailed after a week to the French Alps where there was no water either but at least the sun was shining! Easter time all trips.

flashollie

Post by flashollie » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:14 am

A good snow pack is useful if you're going at the popular time of late March early April.

Anyone know what a good snow pack is defined as in meters and what it is this season?

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:40 am

We were there third time in April and the snow pack was still forming!

S.P.

Post by S.P. » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:26 pm

I've been the last 5 years every year. Last week in March /1st week in April. When the festival was cancelled it rained Tuesday and Wednesday and we had good levels all week I worked the next week and it did the same again and went massive. 2013 was a big year and the water stayed around longer

Andy H

Post by Andy H » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:06 pm

Been guiding over in Corsica for the last 5 years now and i always choose the first week of April. It can be big or low but in either condition its never let me down and i have always had a excellent week or 2 out of it. In bigger levels more runs open up especially upper sections, In low water you still have all the steep technical gorge, Slides and waterfall runs as some of these dont need a lot for them to go. As S.P said kayak session cancelled the festival 1 year due to low levels but actually hundreds of paddlers still had a great week regardless.

Depending on how quickly the snow melts off, combined with rain it can go all through April and possibly into May, but obviously relies more on rain the later you leave it.

I will be over again the first week of April on my usual Corsican adventure and if anybody need advice then please ping me as i will be happy to help.

Regards Andy www.escapetoadventure.com
The true challenge is allways within oneself

NeilCox

Post by NeilCox » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:09 pm

Hello - is anyone planning on heading out for the festival this year? I was hoping to go but my group have dropped out for various reasons so I'm looking for a new team? Please get in touch if you would be interested - I estimate it will be about £500 per person (plus food) for the week.

Andy H

Post by Andy H » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:13 pm

In-case anybody didn't know the Festival dates this year. Here is the link.

http://www.kayaksession.com/2015-easter ... l-for-all/
The true challenge is allways within oneself

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”