Recommend me a rescue knife please

Inland paddling
dpround

Recommend me a rescue knife please

Post by dpround »

Only, it is not quite that simple. I have very definite opinions about what I want:

Modest cost
Fixed blade
Rigid sheath
knife locks into sheath, but easily releases one handed
blunt point

I have a cheap knife that ticks all these boxes, but after a few years in the water (sometimes sea) corrosion is starting to take hold. I also want to buy something similar for my son.

I know a lot of people do not agree with my choices and recommend a folding knife stored in a pocket. I want to be able to self rescue when tangled in rope and since I also sail that is not as unlikely a prospect as it would be just kayaking.

All the best

David

Adrian Cooper

Re: Recommend me a rescue knife please

Post by Adrian Cooper »

Gerber River Shortie is the first one which springs to mind

flashollie

Post by flashollie »

http://www.nrs.com/product/2755/nrs-pilot-knife

A few of the guys I was with on Saturday has these strapped to their BA's.
Got me thinking how difficult it would be for me to get at mine if was tangled up with water pushing against me. I needs two hand or one and and my teeth to expose the blade and its in my pocket of my buoyancy aid underneath a rescue tape and krab and two of Lidls Mr Choc bars!

Looked a good knife not to Ramboesque.

mark Hirst

Post by mark Hirst »

Hi
Working as a raft guide trainer and safety kayaker I use one of these and have done for years

http://www.crkt.com/Bear-Claw-Sharp-Tip ... Sharp-Edge
pretty sure you can get your hands on them through any of the uk dealers for NRS.

I too am a fan of been able to get to my knife one handed in a tricky situation.
From time to time in a very controlled situation I have set up entrapment scenarios to demonstrate how important getting to your knife quickly and efficiently can be.

Mark
www.riverrafting.is
Icelandic kayak & raft

mole

Post by mole »

Lomo do a rescue knife; Cheap, blunt tip, locks into sheath and releases one handed. Ticks all your boxes as far as I can tell. I have one and its great, slices tomatos and cheese well and stays on my BA the rest of the time. Blade nice and sharp!

Neill
Sometimes it's just too much effor......aughhh

Unsponsored

Post by Unsponsored »

http://www.unsponsored.co.uk/press/?p=124

Bear claw is superb. Been using mine since 2001.

daverice

Post by daverice »

+1 for the bear claw. Mine has lasted a good few years, and a great design.

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland »

Blimey, that Bear Claw looks good. On Birthday list.
dave

dpround

Post by dpround »

My first stop was Lomo as their kit has generally been adequate quality and cheap. Unfortunately, their knives are out of stock at the moment.

The rescue version of the Bear Claw and NRS pilot both look like they will do the job nicely and cost about the same. I wonder if the shape of the bear claw would be more effective in an entrapment situation though for hooking under a rope and then cutting away from yourself...

Thank you everyone for your responses.

All the best

David

eeonz

Post by eeonz »

The bear claw - awesome knife, not so great sheath. Not so much of an issue for kayakers, but they do tend to fall out easily with rafters. It's just friction holding it in place.

http://iboutdoor.com/how-to-not-lose-your-river-knife/
http://www.iboutdoor.com- Your outdoor resource!

dpround

Post by dpround »

Hmm. After hearing about the Bear Claw's sheath, I'm now leaning heavily towards of the NRS pilot. Open boating and sailing both involve dragging yourself back into the boat, so a positive latch on the sheath is essential I think for me.

All the best

David

box2k2

Post by box2k2 »

I've been using these for years with no complaint. At less than £17 at the time I bought, I've wasn't too upset when one disappeared into HPP courtesy of a slightly "grabby" live bait customer. Cuts bread, spreads butter and slices cheese. Cut a rope or two on occasion too.

http://www.watersportswarehouse.co.uk/m ... 38084.html

Mal Grey

Post by Mal Grey »

I have an NRS Pilot, and the quality is excellent. The knife cuts well, though its only fortunately been tested rather than used in anger, but the thing I really like is the way the sheaf and locking mechanism work.

I must remember to stop walking into riverside pubs with it on the front of my w/w buoyancy aid, I keep getting funny comments or looks..

I have a Lomo knife too, kindly given as a spare by a friend when I lost my own, relegated to my "canal" buoyancy aid. However, I don't entirely trust the mechanism as the reason I lost my original one was that it jammed closed and wouldn't release. As this was potentially rather dangerous, I broke the mechanism to make sure I could get it out, and just kept it in a pocket...but one day it fell out. I have heard of others with the same problem with them jamming, so if you have one, test it before every paddle.

Rapid Kayaks

Post by Rapid Kayaks »

dpround wrote:Hmm. After hearing about the Bear Claw's sheath, I'm now leaning heavily towards of the NRS pilot. Open boating and sailing both involve dragging yourself back into the boat, so a positive latch on the sheath is essential I think for me.

All the best

David

Hi David

I can send you both (NRS Pilot/Bear Claw) if you want to have a look?

Best regards
Jon@rapid

www.rapidkayaks.co.uk

eeonz

Post by eeonz »

I wore the NRS pilot knife for a year of rafting - probably climbing back in a couple of times a day during games etc. No problems - the latch needs to be pushed from both sides at once to pull the knife out.
http://www.iboutdoor.com- Your outdoor resource!

ruralweb

Post by ruralweb »

Another vote for the NSR Pilot - Ive had one for years on my BA and never had any problems.
Mal

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby »

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”