Good guidebooks around the world

Inland paddling
banzer

Good guidebooks around the world

Post by banzer » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:55 pm

Can anyone point me in the direction of some good, reasonably up-to-date, printed* world guidebooks? I can just sit and read them like other people read novels and dream of faraway rivers. *Not online ones - I can't read those in the bath.

For example, California creeking.... B.C..... Mexico.... Chile, Peru, Argentina.... I note that NZ regularly brings a new edition out every few years to reflect new runs... well done to them. Scotland, take note!!

Or if printed ones in English don't exist, what are the best online resources?
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

Poke

Re: Good guidebooks around the world

Post by Poke » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:31 pm

I've been super impressed with the river gypsies one for the states. Lots of runs in there... including Mexico and possibly BC.

The Norway guidebook is great coffee table fodder too!
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

box2k2

Post by box2k2 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:07 pm

The Ecuador one was recently updated:

https://kayakersguidetoecuador.wordpress.com/

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:27 pm

+1 for the River Gypsies being a fun browse.
There's a new/updated Nepal one out too.

I'm sure that Ion has loads of time on his hands and will be doing a Cali one?
Go on Ian, I'll advance order/crowd fund you a copy...
dave

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:20 pm

The Yanks like hefty colour tomes - River Gypsies is a great example. Incidentally I think I have a few photos in this book, but credited to someone else...

Also see -

http://neguidebook.com/ - I didn't take the cover pic, but I was there! Some pics of mine inside, again wrongly credited.

http://www.amazon.com/Whitewater-Classi ... 966491939/ - okay but I find the profiles of local hero paddlers (half the book) pretty tedious.

http://www.amazon.com/Montana-Surf-Nick ... 0971604002 - US Rockies, still need to get there.

http://www.amazon.com/World-Whitewater- ... 070119627/ - dated but I wrote a few short sections, so in effect a priceless collector's piece.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

superman

Post by superman » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:43 pm

Chasing Jaguars Lee Eudy Costa Rica
The original Guide to whitewater rivers of the state of California by the late Lars Holbeck, an old book, but still very good and uswable and shows what a dude Lars Holbeck must have been. Is there are a more recentguide?
Glad someone still believes in the superiority of real books over bloody computers :)

BigPhil

Post by BigPhil » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:50 am

This is a new book which is getting great reviews on boatertalk:

http://www.wwsouthernapps.com/shop/

Not cheap though! I also like World Whitewater - not the best guidebook but great on variety.

The Rockies books Stuart Smith are great for grading debates!

Slime

Post by Slime » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:20 pm

White Water - the World's wildest rivers by Graeme Addison is a coffee table guidebook.

Something like the old "River Gods" by Richard Bangs.

I love some of the old river guides to Northern Canada.

Enjoy,

Pete Knowles.

superman

Post by superman » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:03 pm

And of course any self respecting student of river guides would resort to my article"A Brief History of The Paddling Guide" as published in the now sadly missed CKUK ISSUE 144 March 2013. A collector`s item now? (well I would say that , huh?). No idea whether you can access past issues on line now? Jason?

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:38 pm

BigPhil wrote:The Rockies books Stuart Smith are great for grading debates!
Never a truer word!
dave

Chaucer

Post by Chaucer » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:22 am

See if you can get a copy of Rivergods by Richard Bangs and Christian Kallen. It is a bit raft orientated, but it covers some of the great white water rivers of the world. It is not a guide book perhaps in the strictest terms, but it is a good bit of river p@rn.
Nick Mawer

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:30 pm

If it's just a good read you are after, tall Storry should be good for a laugh (is it 100 British WW classics?) - it always had some problems but with a more modern perspective on paddling/grading and the radical natural changes that some rivers have suffered it should be entertaining fiction by now?

superman

Post by superman » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:44 pm

Ah yes Jim. THE sTOREY guide has been superceded , but it was ground breaking at the time, nothing had EVER been produced as efficiently or comprehensively before for British rivers, it was all typed sheets, partial limited edition pamphlets and hearsay before that!!. I still have my well thumbed and annotated copy. If you really want an insight at how outdated some previous guides were I can recommend the BCU guide to Inland Waterways of theBritish Isles, first published and the latest edition of which was unbelievably as recent as 1980. Horseshoe Falls on the Dee "From here it is best to transfer to the canal as the next two miles are extremely difficult".

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:06 pm

superman wrote:Ah yes Jim. THE sTOREY guide has been superceded , but it was ground breaking at the time, nothing had EVER been produced as efficiently or comprehensively before for British rivers, it was all typed sheets, partial limited edition pamphlets and hearsay before that!!. I still have my well thumbed and annotated copy. If you really want an insight at how outdated some previous guides were I can recommend the BCU guide to Inland Waterways of theBritish Isles, first published and the latest edition of which was unbelievably as recent as 1980. Horseshoe Falls on the Dee "From here it is best to transfer to the canal as the next two miles are extremely difficult".
And I for one bemoan the loss of hearsay over heard conversations scribbled notes and the sense of exploration that guide books remove.

River Gods has several rivers that you can't run any more but was a hit list for some I know.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:50 pm

I used to refuse to run anything not fully described in a guidebook. Nowadays I refuse to run a river unless I've seen it run from numerous angles on GoPro, and I am fully assured that the CE River Advisor has been in and removed any hazards.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”