Sad news. We have lost Andy Hambley

Inland paddling
StoneWeasel

Sad news. We have lost Andy Hambley

Post by StoneWeasel » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:00 pm

I am very sorry to be the bearer of such horrible news. Michelle, Andy's wife, posted this message on his facebook account.

"On friday 9th jan Andy was out walking with a group when he collapsed, those with him tried to save him but it was not meant to be, and so i sadly lost you that day Andy Hambley however you will always be with me. We've got an amazing family with gorgeous children and for that I am forever grateful. We all love u and will miss you unimaginably. Love u always gorgeous boy shels xx"

I do not have the words to do Andy justice. He was one of the nicest people you could ever hope to meet and a truly great all round paddler. I know there will be many friends mourning his passing as he made friends everywhere he went, I feel very privileged that I got to count myself among them.

Rest in peace dude. I will miss you.

Fluidskills.com

Re: Sad news. We have lost Andy Hambley

Post by Fluidskills.com » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:51 pm

My heart dropped at the news of the sad passing of Andy, I had the honor of coaching Andy as a student at Duchy College and then to surf on the England team with him as a great friend and team mate.
Our thoughts are with Michelle and the fantastic family that have the memory's of a great paddler,husband and dad.

You will be very missed Andy

Darren and Kate Joy

stroppymonkey

Re: Sad news. We have lost Andy Hambley

Post by stroppymonkey » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:59 pm

Well said Denzil.

There are not enough words to describe what a smashing bloke Andy was. Like so many others, Andy gave me so much help with getting better at kayaking and helping me to push outside of my comfort zones. Always calm, unflappable and reassuring. He had the unique skill of being able to coach and guide you whilst making it feel like just a couple of mates out for a paddle. Even in scary monster surf and tree infested rivers..

Some of my favourite memories....

Andy paddling a river with boots and fleecy dungarees. When I asked what happens if you swim. He just replied that he never swam!

Andy taking me out in 4+ surf for the first time and letting me paddle his Bullit X-s so he could try out the Slingshot, the look on his face as he air dropped it off the lip :-)

Andy chasing me down a big glassy wave backwards in his heavy old Trident while I just pootled along obliviously having just dropped in on him :-/

His face when I surfed his Bullit Xs over a rock at Bude!

Swimming out of my Drakkar Wheelboy in the surf when some numpty ran him over (not me this time)

The way we all mocked him when he swam out of his boat at a Surf Comp back in 2011/12. A very rare event!

Loads of us all getting up at the crack of dawn last year to help him out providing kayak safety cover for a Triathlon. Andy slept in and never turned up. He took some ribbing over that as well!

And countless other days out and fun times. I only knew Andy for 6 years, and expected him to be around for ever. I deeply regret all the river trips I didn't along too, and all the other missed opportunities to paddle with the Legend that was Andy Hambley.

Although he left us years too early and has left a huge hole in many peoples lives, its a lasting legacy that SO MANY people have benefited SO MUCH from his coaching and instructing and just from being able to call Andy Hambley a friend.

We won't forget you.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”