Governing body not interested in river access any more?

Inland paddling
quicky

Post by quicky » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:24 pm

http://www.buydomains.com/lander/rivera ... _type=tdfs

buck197

Re: Governing body not interested in river access any more?

Post by buck197 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:37 pm

Were they ever?
Brian Taylor
Paddle Pirates

StillNewish

Post by StillNewish » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:02 pm

I get the distinct impression that unless you are an Olympic gold medalist the BCU has no interest at all...

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:11 pm

StillNewish wrote:I get the distinct impression that unless you are an Olympic gold medalist the BCU has no interest at all...
Replace BCU with SCA and, sadly, this is becoming true of Scotland as well. Mind you, one of the guys engaged in the recent debate prompted by some of the slalom folks up here is an Olympic gold medallist. So, even the great and the good are concerned.

riberman69

Post by riberman69 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:06 pm

it is the way all sports are heading ,there is no money to be made in supporting sport at its grassroots so its just the occasional photo-shoot with the plebs from now on .

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:28 pm

Is there any money in supporting sport at all? The Olympics is quite dear.

Sorry, wandering off topic.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:07 pm

riberman69 wrote:it is the way all sports are heading ,there is no money to be made in supporting sport at its grassroots so its just the occasional photo-shoot with the plebs from now on .
No money, and no glory. As I've said before, and will continue to say, those organisations who exist to promote our sport would do well to remember exactly why they are there, and who they are there to serve. That would be the Members. Those people who elect them, and who's membership subscriptions make a significant contribution to their salaries.

Not just the elite few who are talented enough to win medals. With, I accept, the support of the org(s).

While they're at it, certainly the SCA would do well to consider exactly how they managed to make such a monumental feck-up recently, despite all the much vaunted governance responsibility and regulation they've been banging on about for years.

Maybe a little less governance, and a bit more Member engagement and both the SCA and the BCU would be better thought of. River access is one of those engagements.

buck197

Post by buck197 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:11 pm

Just received my renewal for BCU membership and the covering letter has the following sentence:

Your membership is important to us and enables us to support canoeing at all levels,improve facilities, develop quality coaches and improve access to water.

I'll renew because I enjoy coaching at the club but I'm not convinced or happy where my money goes.
Brian Taylor
Paddle Pirates

dougdew99

Post by dougdew99 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:36 am

The BCU have maintained that they have been actively campaigning for more than thirty years and that this is a number one priority for them. In the past they have claimed that every employee considered this a major issue. Since this is either untrue or they have been remarkably unsuccessful, they have had a largely negative effect. This is because the average member, if he or she had any interest, felt that the BCU had it in hand and he or she need to do nothing.

It would be preferable if British Canoeing were honest with their members and stated unequivocally that they are not campaigning on this issue. Then everyone would know where they stand and some grassroots organisation might spring up to carry the baton. I do not expect them to do this and the current confusion to continue. Expect an 'official' statement from them sometime soon, continuing the pretense that they are actively campaigning and including some patronizing nonsense that this a 'long game'.

The situation regarding their so called access campaign web site is confusing. Someone advised on SOTP that it had not been updated since 2012. Someone else said it was down because because of technical difficulties. We were advised it had been been altered to be more circumspect because Anglers Trust threatened to sue them. It is an irrelevant web site anyway, because there is no CE access campaign.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:51 pm

I share the concerns expressed in this thread regarding BCU/CE etc lack of commitment to access.

But for the sake of accuracy, while the domain riveraccess.org is for sale (asking price over $2000 US), riversaccess.org (with an "s" in the middle) still belongs to the BCU, and the website is still up, although doesn't look as if it's been updated for years.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”