The Weekend Adventurer

Inland paddling
DaveWortley

The Weekend Adventurer

Post by DaveWortley »

What does it mean to you to be a weekend adventurer? To leave your 9-5 behind you and go have a mini adventure, experience, thrill. What makes it special?

DaveBland

Re: The Weekend Adventurer

Post by DaveBland »

I'll bite, as it's the weekend – too dry for paddling, too mucky for biking and the snow's melting.

Weekend warrioring gets a bad rap, but it's what about 95% of paddlers do.
It's the true escape from the daily grind. The camaraderie, the adventure of a new river, or level – when you get back to home and work on the Monday and it feels like you've had a week off.
the secret to truly successful weekend paddling is to find a location with the perfect balance of economy and jobs, that's close enough to the playground, plus has traffic that's light enough you can get away quickly.

Wonder where that could be..?
dave

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

The mutual incomprehension on Monday morning:

Over the first cup of tea in the office, colleagues ramble on to each other about painting fences and visiting in-laws.

You mention that the weekend's highlight was nailing the boof on Crux#1 at 2.0 on the gauge. Eyes glaze over, the room goes a little quiet for a while...then the conversation returns to discussing trips to B&Q.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

YorkieDave

Post by YorkieDave »

Ode to the club boater

bib_bob_euroslap

Post by bib_bob_euroslap »

Driving 4hrs to Devon / S Wales / N Wales / Some other exotic location in the UK when there just so happens to be no water to go paddling, end up walking or scraping down a river, but still gloating to work colleagues you had a weekend away kayaking, is usually how it works out.

eeonz

Post by eeonz »

I hope Mark doesn't mind me using this, but it stuck with me for a long time after reading it on here a few years back.
It doesn’t begin to do justice to the bond that develops between those who paddle together. Many ... most ... of us here will know this bond. Chris loved to use the phrase ‘weekend warriors’ to describe this unique and precious relationship. We are a ragtag bunch who ostensibly have little in common, besides having Really Dull weekday lives; teachers, managers, scientists, computer geeks, accountants, engineers ... chartered surveyors. But then the working week comes to an end and we join forces ... and we are somehow transformed into something greater than the sum of our parts. We don our paddling gear – our armour, if you like - and become ‘weekend warriors’.
http://www.iboutdoor.com- Your outdoor resource!

Frank B

Post by Frank B »

Love the last post, it really sums up kayaking

APART FROM working as an accountant is in no way dull, really

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

The list of dull jobs was a direct reference to people in the room, when I read that out.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Frank B

Post by Frank B »

No offence taken

Many accountants are dull, including probably myself, but as I said the work isn't dull ( if you have the right job of course)

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW »

Weekend warrioring gets a bad rap, but it's what about 95% of paddlers do.
I can never understand this. It is after all a hobby. Weekend warriors are also the ones keeping the industry alive by purchasing gear that the "lifestylers" can't afford or blag through team deals!

Anyway, to the original question, it's just an escape, pure and simple. I enjoy being in the environment. I wouldn't want it to be my job though. Why would I want to change what I enjoy into a daily grind?

SwamP

Post by SwamP »

I’ve bitten (wrongly, but I couldn’t delete it) once today, but I like the title of this as some good friends and seriously good sportsmen were discussing the interesting journey just yesterday.

Week = Uninspiring people, politics, structure, guidelines, unchallenging repetition, hypocrisy, illogical process, ill-earned ego, lies, complications, questions, the worst of people, tiredness, media, £, numb.

Weekend = inspiration, immersion in only what surrounds you right there right now, simplicity, soul, elements, the best of people, art, peace, challenges; the answer. ALIVE.

If you're falling off waterfalls around the world, but in life ticking the weekly points; then there's no adventure.
If you're an accoutant, but in life ticking the weekend points; there's a great adventure.

:)
Lets not try to understand each other. Thanks.

YorkieDave

Post by YorkieDave »

I wholeheartedly agree SwamP for us mere mortals paddling is a getaway from daily mundane life. I work 9am until whenever and am in the fortunate position of living in Nottingham I can pop down to the ditch for an hour after work as a release and quite often do, never get bored of it and I tend to paddle 3+ times a week. I can't get enough time on the water, call it an obsession if you must but I work hard and play hard, not just at weekends. Quite often after my Saturday morning session I get out into the Peak District walking for the afternoon. Keeps me and the girlfriend happy.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”