Low water Nepal

Inland paddling
joereadickins

Low water Nepal

Post by joereadickins »

Anyone got any good recommendations? Not too fussed on difficulty, more interested in good quality runs. Heading out in about a week.

Cheers

Joe

Dan Yates.

Re: Low water Nepal

Post by Dan Yates. »

The Arun gorges, easy logistics and amazing in every way.

Slime

Post by Slime »

Hi Jo,

I agree with Dan's suggestion of the Arun gorges. Also maybe consider the Tamur as a warm up and brilliant intro to rural Nepal, trekking with boats, and the Himalaya. Stunning trek and nice self support bimble.

You could also maybe look at some of the creeks going into the upper Arun - problem is physical access which is why I believe they are unrun.

Happy paddling,

Pete Knowles.

callum s

Post by callum s »

Thanks guys,

We are going to be with a class 3/4 group - so interested in high quality runs at around that grade - Tamur sounds great (and we may sneak of and do something like the Arun...)

Callum

purelandexpeditions.com

Post by purelandexpeditions.com »

Slime as ever beat me to it.

Enjoy.

Boat safe

DAZ
Raft Kayak Trek Explore
purelandexpeditions.com

Dan Yates.

Post by Dan Yates. »

We did the Tamur back to back with the Arun as the take out is the same. However as beautiful as the Tamur is it was very flat in the beginning of Nov so I imagine it will be a bit desperate in dec (and I,m sure you guys don't need a warm up). The two days we spent on the lower Arun was a much better low grade trip. Access for the Arun gorges is now really easy because of road pushed in for the dam. We drove all the way to Num (about a two hour walk with boats to the put in) . I think the only trib worth looking at in dec would be the Barun Khola
this was run a few years ago by a Russian group. I'm not sure where they put in but you could access it from the Makalu base camp trek (maybe 2days walk from Num with porters). You could paddle the Barun down to the Arun about 1 day upstream of the first bridge at Num where the Arun gorge section starts. If you are in s mixed group as we were less keen members can meet you at Tumlungtar with s resupply for the lower Arun which was a was grade 2 day followed by a really fun big grade 3/easy 4 day. Have a good one.

Poke

Post by Poke »

I went to Nepal over xmas/new year a few years back. We basically aimed to do sections above the main sections of various classics. Because most were quite low they were quite pool-drop so probably OK for an easier grade trip if people don't mind the odd portage. In the end we did:
• Bhote Kosi (Choku to Bahrabise).
• Kaligandaki (Tatopani to Beni). Though you could probably continue down the normal rafting section to extend this out a few days.
• Marsyandi (Syange to the dam). Might need the trekking permits starting this high up. Adds another 10km upstream of the classic run from Bhulbhule.
• Tamba Kosi (normal section) in one long long day. 10km of hard water followed by what seemed like 30km of flat. Worth it though.
• Whilst in Pokhara we also did the Modi from the power station. This was super low, but was still paddleable and a nice christmas day bimble in the sun.

If I was going back I'd like to do Tamur or Arun.
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

Dan Yates.

Post by Dan Yates. »

We also did the standard section of the Tambakosi this November, it was great but very short there is apparently alot more upstream. We paddled from the village known as Tamba Khosi down to the town with the hydro where the hard white water is meant to stop. This is sold in the guide book as being (in November) a long day of hard white water with lots of scouts and long portages. So we got up early and started just after 8 it was really good but we had reached the take out before 10 am and only broke out once so someone could take a dump. It would be great as an alternative start to a Sun Khosi cruise or as a multiday from further up stream but is a bit of a trek from Katmandu to do the guide book section alone.

callum s

Post by callum s »

Great thanks guys, keep the info coming :)

joereadickins

Post by joereadickins »

Cheers guys, some really really awesome info here -

Also Jamie just swung by Shillong and showed me the video of the Arun gorges...OH MY GOD!!!! It looks ridiculously epic, I cann't wait to get on that!!!

Jimjam

Post by Jimjam »

joereadickins wrote: Also Jamie just swung by Shillong and showed me the video of the Arun gorges...OH MY GOD!!!! It looks ridiculously epic, I cann't wait to get on that!!!
And its finally online
Such an awesome river. I'd go back and check out the idea of running the Barun into it in a heartbeat. You guys will have a sweet time.
Kaligandaki (Tatopani to Beni). Though you could probably continue down the normal rafting section to extend this out a few days.
This could be an awesome idea for you guys if you decide to go central to Pokhara. The girls could then meet you at Beni to carry on down.
Marsyandi (Syange to the dam). Might need the trekking permits starting this high up. Adds another 10km upstream of the classic run from Bhulbhule.

The damming roads have screwed up their permit system so its easy to bypass that. Scant consolation but hey ho.
You can also paddle some epic gorges on the Marsy from Jagat(a day's paddle down to Syange with a few portages that you'll need to think outside the box for), and theres definitely more upstream.

Patrick Clissold

Post by Patrick Clissold »

Joe,

You have to do the Humla. Lower water the better. Here is our video from last year, although levels were a bit high in this:

I'm heading to the Thule Bheri in March, which is supposed to be good for low levels.

joereadickins

Post by joereadickins »

Amazing, thanks so much everyone.

We're in Pokhara now which is nice and warm, some of the guy and girls have been getting out, still lots to do here.

We're planning on the Marsyandi, Arun (gorge and lower) and Tamur and whilst we're on the Arun gorges the girls are paddling the Balephi Khola, all logistics seem sweet, just curious how you got to the put on of the Arun gorges? Bus/Jeep etc. We'll be heading over from Pokhara.

Cheers again

purelandexpeditions.com

Post by purelandexpeditions.com »

You have inbox, but it is bus-jeep.

DAZ
Raft Kayak Trek Explore
purelandexpeditions.com

Dan Yates.

Post by Dan Yates. »

Night bus to Dharan then Jeep to Num for the Arun or Basantapor (spelling) for the Tamur . Buy the Makalu Base Camp Trek map for the Arun (stops at the bottom of the upper) . Try Kisher for the jeep 980 700 4186 he lives in Chatra (at the take out ) and is a complete star, he will also be able to sort your Tamur logistics (including porters ).

Other points.

Well worth dropping less able members at Tumlingtar for the Lower Arun on the drive up , the white water on the lower is probably better than that on the Tamur especially with the low flows you will have.

Num will be cold now as will the Tamur walk-in but the rivers shouldn't be too bad.

Camping is limited on the Upper Arun so try not to push on too far each day. Good spot for first camp was a small beach river left where the Val Sesia esq trib come in on the right (Isuwa Khola) , immediately below this is was our only big portage , which in hindsight we probably should of run but you wouldn't want to hit it at the end of the day. 2nd camp was river left under a bridge at Tomuwabesi after a section of cool read and run IV , again just after this was a big class V mega rapid which although totally awesome is probably not one for the evening. Night of day 3 we spent at a small village by the bridge up to Tumlingtar.

Have a good one.

swagstaff

Post by swagstaff »

Patrick Thanks for the video of the Humla . It's such a stunning place and since paddling the river in 1986 I have always meant to go back and trek out of Simikot and spend some more time exploring that area .Definitely one of the best of the best.We were there December and plenty of water.
WHITEWATER ALL YEAR LONG

joereadickins

Post by joereadickins »

Thanks a load for the info guys.

We had a great trip on the Arun gorges and lower combo, although the Arun Gorge was a fair bit scarier than we had anticipated and we mainly stuck to chicken lines! Great camping, epic firewood and it really is a stunning gorge.

We also decided to save some time and get some more rivers done so rather than doing the two day walk-in, three day paddle down the Tamur we made use of the new road and just drove to the start of the thrid day and blasted down back to Chatara in a day which was great and probably better quality than then lower Arun for anyone looking for a class III/IV trip.

Off to the Bhote Kosi now,

Cheers again for all the advice!!

Joe

Jimjam

Post by Jimjam »

Great camping, epic firewood
pssh you should have been at Siang. I laugh at the Arun's firewood potential next to the horizontal forests to be found on the Siang's beaches!

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”