Nighttime kayaking

Inland paddling
harrychosser

Nighttime kayaking

Post by harrychosser » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:42 pm

I have recently noticed a new craze in whitewater kayaking in the dark, I was just wondering what's peoples views on this? Do you think it is stupid and dangerous or just a bit of fun? Also what do people gain out of kayaking in the dark...?

I just don't understand why people would want to do this..

David Fairweather

Re: Nighttime kayaking

Post by David Fairweather » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:53 pm

Kayaking is dangerous and stupid. I only bother doing it 'cos it's fun.

morsey

Post by morsey » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:04 pm

Night time Canadian Canoeing, on the other hand, is fine:

***NOT SAFE FOR WORK***

The video has some fine words in the intro which make it unsafe for work, but if you sound down till the paddling begins and then sound up, there are chilled tunes to glide you through the viewing!

jam bo

Post by jam bo » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:19 pm

harrychosser wrote:I have recently noticed a new craze in whitewater kayaking in the dark, I was just wondering what's peoples views on this? Do you think it is stupid and dangerous or just a bit of fun? Also what do people gain out of kayaking in the dark...?

I almost exclusively ride my MTB in the dark in the winter.

My lights are good enough to ride at the same pace as during the day.

They are 100% waterproof....

Anyone fancy a lap of the loop in the dark soon?

twopigs

Post by twopigs » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:23 pm

jam bo wrote:
harrychosser wrote:I have recently noticed a new craze in whitewater kayaking in the dark, I was just wondering what's peoples views on this? Do you think it is stupid and dangerous or just a bit of fun? Also what do people gain out of kayaking in the dark...?

I almost exclusively ride my MTB in the dark in the winter.

My lights are good enough to ride at the same pace as during the day.

They are 100% waterproof....

Anyone fancy a lap of the loop in the dark soon?
With or without those MTB lights? Or would that be at full moon?
Canoeing - bigger boat, broken paddle, more skill!

Lenny Q

Post by Lenny Q » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:24 pm

Kayaking in the dark is an unnecessary risk and is incredibly irresponsible. If someone were to get injured during such an a activity they would sue the land owners! Whilst it may look like fun and games it is most definitely not, you cannot see the rocks, you cannot see what the water is doing, and you wouldn't be able to see a swimmer if one were to occur.

Kayaking at night is something I never plan to do and as such I make absolutely sure I leave ample time to get off the river before dark, and I stop kayaking all together over the winter as daylight lasts for such a little amount of time!

All you jumped up kids trying to be cool should take a step back and think about the consequences of your actions.

DaveWortley

Post by DaveWortley » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:55 pm

I've done the Dart Loop under moonlight, it's fine but there's a few low hanging trees which are hard to spot, the thick branches are fine to see the thin ones are always a last minute duck moment! Quite fun!

Richard Brookes has paddled the Upper Dart with super bright LED lights.

I can't condone night-time paddling, but this is of course cool, and has nothing to do with me... honest!
Click this link

justin-g

Post by justin-g » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:59 pm

Depends on the river - I've night paddled the kaituna loads of times - but its not got any rocks. Fun fun fun.
White water "rider"

jam bo

Post by jam bo » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:04 pm

Lenny Q wrote:Kayaking is an unnecessary risk.
Fixed that for you.

Once you've accepted that it's risky, then the limitations are down to your comfort level.

edit: think I got trolled...

pig-rig pete

Post by pig-rig pete » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:31 pm

Lenny Q wrote:Kayaking in the dark is an unnecessary risk and is incredibly irresponsible. If someone were to get injured during such an a activity they would sue the land owners! Whilst it may look like fun and games it is most definitely not, you cannot see the rocks, you cannot see what the water is doing, and you wouldn't be able to see a swimmer if one were to occur..
I do share some of the concerns aired by Lenny Q, however, I would offer a few simple solutions to some of his/her issues:
-by running it at spate then there are to rocks so you don't need to be able to see them
-a simple glow stick attached to the helmet makes any swimmer visible in the dark.
Equally, for anyone chase boating a beater, the glowstick of said swimmer shows what the water is doing ahead.

Simples

BaldockBabe

Post by BaldockBabe » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:33 pm

As a club we have arranged night paddles on a local river which have a few features on but is generally very flat. These paddles were very well attended and some of my most memorable trips. We had torches but most of the time they were off so we could watch the bats and owls flying overhead. The wildlife we spotted was different to that spotted during the day and to be honest people were far quieter than on day trips so we saw far more than we would normally see. To be fair in our area there is so much light pollution that it will never be truely dark. I would do the same on other rivers for the same reason but probably not on big white water as that is hard enough for me when it is daylight!

A group of us also polo/ slalom train on a river every week no matter what time of year it is so for at least half the year it is a nighttime paddle. Though as we are on a public navigation river we do have lights on so that we don't get hit by rowers! But I guess that is not the type of nighttime paddle you are talking about.

BaldockBabe

Post by BaldockBabe » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:39 pm

Lenny Q wrote:Kayaking in the dark is an unnecessary risk and is incredibly irresponsible. If someone were to get injured during such an a activity they would sue the land owners! .
Firstly, it is not irresponsible outsright. It is a judgement call for the paddler and the water and the conditions at the time. Just as it is when you are paddling in daylight.

Secondly, why would we sue the landlowners? I have been damaged, on an aritifical course, in daylight and did not sue, why would I sue "automatically" just because it was dark?

chicklechives

Post by chicklechives » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:41 pm

Lenny Q wrote:Kayaking in the dark is an unnecessary risk and is incredibly irresponsible. If someone were to get injured during such an a activity they would sue the land owners! Whilst it may look like fun and games it is most definitely not, you cannot see the rocks, you cannot see what the water is doing, and you wouldn't be able to see a swimmer if one were to occur.

Kayaking at night is something I never plan to do and as such I make absolutely sure I leave ample time to get off the river before dark, and I stop kayaking all together over the winter as daylight lasts for such a little amount of time!

All you jumped up kids trying to be cool should take a step back and think about the consequences of your actions.
I fell over whilst reading your post and have broken my ankle, could you please post your contact details so I can sue you. Many thanks.
Ps it wasn't even dark.

ruralweb

Post by ruralweb » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:33 pm

I paddle lots in the dark including miles out to sea - its no more dangerous than walking down an unlit country road IMO
Mal

yurper

Post by yurper » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:14 pm

Lenny Q wrote:Kayaking in the dark is an unnecessary risk and is incredibly irresponsible. If someone were to get injured during such an a activity they would sue the land owners! Whilst it may look like fun and games it is most definitely not, you cannot see the rocks, you cannot see what the water is doing, and you wouldn't be able to see a swimmer if one were to occur.

Not particularly got a problem with what your saying Lenny.

However your tone in the post is somewhat aggressive. The last comment reference jumped up kids is just plain stupid, I'm pretty sure the likes of Benny Marr, Evan Garcia and home grown talent such as Mr Westgarth and Ed Smith have all paddled in the dark, whether by choice or not.

People are allowed to make educated choices of what, when and how they paddle.

So please enjoy your own paddling and let others enjoy theirs.

Joe
Get busy living or get busy dying...
Pain is glory

ruralweb

Post by ruralweb » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:50 pm

[quote]jumped up kids/quote] Made me feel young as Im 56! - glad Im not so boring that I consider going out in the dark or winter too scary.
Mal

kayak1

Post by kayak1 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:05 pm

I surf at night if its good, I don't intentionally go when its dark.... its just if I'm there and it gets dark, your eyes do get used to it until you cant tell the difference from the sky to the sea..but still good fun during the long summer evenings no matter what the size of the surf..Utube (Aberavon xxx small surf) mid clip.

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:20 pm

Why not paddle in the dark? You local playspot or run can be fun.
Okay not pushing the grades but if you are familiar with the environment and well within your comfort zone then it can only be fun.
Also doesn't harm when it comes to practising for those unexpected late dark finishes. Better to have you first black out paddle in a friendly environment.

As to the sueing the landowner comment. Really? I can only hope you were just trolling.
dave

Mark Dixon

Post by Mark Dixon » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:16 pm

I've done junior night paddles on flat section of Dart in canoe and unless you got moonlight its difficult, we just had glowsticks under moonlight this Oct and it was fantastic.
I personally would not do WW at night but my lad and his mates had a swimmer and rescue on the Upper Dart a few weeks back and ended up paddling out under moonlight, they said it was fine and did not need torches. I am pretty certain they wouldnt paddle it under torchlight tho as its a bit isolated location.
I am pretty certain a 24hr paddleathon on the Upper Dart has been done as well
Mark

ruralweb

Post by ruralweb » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:45 pm

Ive completed the Great Glen Paddle which was run in March and started at 2am in the morning which meant that the first 6 hrs paddling was in the pitch black - 8 miles along the Caledonian canal then 11 miles on Loch Locky and onward to Loch Ness in sub zero temperatures.

The Devises Westminster race also runs through the night so paddling in the dark is done regularly by hundreds of kayakers and we all live to tell the tale.

In the 80s we used to paddle the Troutbeck in the lake district Grade 4 WW in the dark - we knew it like the back of our hand.
Mal

nick307

Post by nick307 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:21 pm

Paddling in the dark is great fun! I have paddled low force in the dark a number of times and the only thing you need to watch out for are angry farmers who don't take too kindly to the use of high powered flash guns going off very few minutes! Does make for some sick photos though!!! Lenny Q, I think you need to calm down a bit, kayaking is always going to be dangerous! Perhaps you'll find some shiny new elbow pads in your stocking in a month! Should help with all those rocks you don't seem to be able to see!

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:40 pm

ruralweb wrote:In the 80s we used to paddle the Troutbeck in the lake district Grade 4 WW in the dark - we knew it like the back of our hand.
To be fair, it's nearly always pretty bloody dark when Troutbeck's running. I have no memories of that river other than overcast and pouring down twighlight after-work runs. Maybe that was just an 80s thing then…
dave

Big Henry

Post by Big Henry » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:21 am

Lenny Q wrote:Kayaking in the dark is an unnecessary risk and is incredibly irresponsible. If someone were to get injured during such an a activity they would sue the land owners!
You can't sue the landowners, kayaking is an assumed risk sport exempting the landowners, unless they specifically do something to recklessly endanger you, such as stringing barbed wire across a river that is known to be paddled.

purelandexpeditions.com

Post by purelandexpeditions.com » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:27 am

I'm not sure its a new craze. Pretty sure its been happening since kayaks were invented.

Play safe guys

DAZ

p.s I'm sure we all paddled in the dark to the Bitches at the birth of UK Rodeo, paddlers trained in the dark for runs like the stikine, due to work commitments. Seems to have been ok.
Raft Kayak Trek Explore
purelandexpeditions.com

ruralweb

Post by ruralweb » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:19 am

DaveBland wrote:
ruralweb wrote:In the 80s we used to paddle the Troutbeck in the lake district Grade 4 WW in the dark - we knew it like the back of our hand.
To be fair, it's nearly always pretty bloody dark when Troutbeck's running. I have no memories of that river other than overcast and pouring down twighlight after-work runs. Maybe that was just an 80s thing then…
Im surprised we never met on the river Dave - great paddling days.
Mal

DaveWortley

Post by DaveWortley » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:46 pm

It's not funny, clever, or stupid.

It's Art!

http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2014/12/w ... -painting/

harrychosser

Post by harrychosser » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:50 pm

I am on about kayaking with no lights and on whitewater rivers that have such huge consequences that lake or sea do not offer... As Lenny said previously "kayaking in the dark is an unnecessary risk and is incredibly irresponsible"

Even if the people paddling in the dark are more than capable then what about peers who want to be like them but do not have the capable skills. I mean I even noticed there are kayak coaches doing this and posting all over facebook!

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:55 pm

I really think you are worrying too much – it's natural that as the sport progresses and it's harder to find new rivers etc, that 'variations' will emerge to add a new dimension.
I think you have taken a bit of unfair stick, and I see your point... but as many have said, it's a risk sport. Adding risk by paddling harder water or paddling in harder conditions – e.g. less light – is all the same thing.

I think paddling harder stuff in play boats is daft, but each to their own, eh...
dave

Billy The Fisherman

Post by Billy The Fisherman » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:15 pm

Being on the river at night does raise the risks and rivers appear unfamiliar under darkness. If you’re still up for it drop a grade or two and do a river you know well. Surfing through dusk into night is worth a try too, you start to feel the waves instead of just working them by sight.

jonnyabo

Post by jonnyabo » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:16 pm

Hurley in the dark is a great experience if you know what you're doing & have mates around in-case it goes wrong.

I remember Chris Wheeler was a keen practitioner of the dark arts. We'd be paddling back to the get-in when a broad, white toothed smile would greet us going the other way - Chris, out for an evening during the winter, in a black boat & black gear. Stealth boating at it's best.

Happy days.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”