Pyranha Court Case

Inland paddling
quicky

Pyranha Court Case

Post by quicky » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:25 pm

BBC reports the court case has started, very sad accident.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-30114191

clarky999

Re: Pyranha Court Case

Post by clarky999 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:35 pm

Seriously fucked up, and a HORRIBLE way to go.

Surprised to only hear of it now when it happened in 2010 though?!

quicky

Post by quicky » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:31 am

It was on the local TV news back then by maybe not made the national

puddled

Post by puddled » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:46 am

Since Graham Mackereth (and his brother Peter) have supported paddlers of all persuasions for decades, I really hope all of this is resolved without compounding the tragedy. The NW TV news mentioned last night that the case is likely to last a couple of weeks and I think we shouldn't make any judgements or postulations here, certainly until the case is over.

This was a real tragedy for all concerned and I can only hope that something positive comes out of it.

pud
Northshore Atlantic/Burn 2/Greenland T/Prospector

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:21 pm

clarky999 wrote:Surprised to only hear of it now when it happened in 2010 though?!
It was mentioned here at the time.
http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/foru ... =3&t=71835
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

puddled

Post by puddled » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:43 am

Wildswimmer Pete

Post by Wildswimmer Pete » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:59 pm

Yes, very sad - I live near Pyranha's site. I won't comment until after the case and know the full details, but before my stroke my job was troubleshooting electronic control systems.

Wildswimmer Pete
Nili illegitimi carborundum

puddled

Post by puddled » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:30 am

Latest News http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liv ... on-8432646

While being sympathetic about the tragedy that took place and not to diminish the seriousness of the matter, if ever you were a Pyranha fan, I think now would be a good time to prove it.

pud

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:58 pm

The court case is over but there are absolutely no winners. Wishing all involved the best in moving forward from this terrible accident and its aftermath.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Big Henry

Post by Big Henry » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:42 pm

Sentencing occurs in February.

Voodoo

Post by Voodoo » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:59 pm

puddled wrote: if ever you were a Pyranha fan, I think now would be a good time to prove it.

pud

This comment has bothered me now for days I have tried to resit asking but... alas I cant so...... Why ? when there is/was clear failings in H&S as found by the court,
This is not the repose you are looking for ~ Obi-Wan Kenobi

puddled

Post by puddled » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:22 pm

Indeed there were clear failings found and Pyranha will pay the price for these. I understand they are likely to be heavily fined when their conviction is due in the near future. The local news reported recently that, while this fine is intended to be a punishment, it is not intended to be so heavy that it will put the company out of business.

Undoubtedly a real tragedy took place at Pyranha and I understand that its one of the first cases in this area where "Corporate Manslaughter" was brought to bear. The company still employs lots of people, still supports paddle sports all over the world and still comes up with some pretty good products that are leaders in the industry. I just think it would be another tragedy if all of this was threatened; hence my comment "if ever you were a Pyranha fan, I think now would be a good time to prove it."

The press also reported that the design of the oven has now been modified so that anyone trapped inside can exit via an escape hatch.

I can only feed what I've learned from the press into this thread, I do not claim to know the facts as, like you, Im an observer in all of this and feel very much for the family who suffered the loss.

pud

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:51 pm

I read Puddled's comment and had the exact opposite reaction and agree whole-heartedly with him.
It's such a sad case for everyone, but in no-one's best interest for the company to go out of business.
dave

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:48 am

I wonder if other boat manufacturers around the world have been fitting safety hatches too? This case has exact parallels with chest freezers which locked automatically when shutting. No one thought of kids playing hide and seek and abandoned freezers lying around in farm yards.

chriscw

Post by chriscw » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:56 am

Voodoo wrote:
puddled wrote: if ever you were a Pyranha fan, I think now would be a good time to prove it.

pud

This comment has bothered me now for days I have tried to resit asking but... alas I cant so...... Why ? when there is/was clear failings in H&S as found by the court,

I think it is fair to add that hindsight is always 20/20 vision. Looking back it is so often easy to see that things should have been done differently. Maybe there was already an industry best practice for this kind of equipment maybe not I don't know.
Chris Clarke-Williams
Location Basingstoke

Paddling Interests:
Touring, Coaching Beginners (I am an L2K), Surf White water trips, Weir Play (I'm not good enough to put freestyle!)

flashollie

Post by flashollie » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:08 am

I imagine there are engineering design requirements and safe working practices that have to be adopted for this type of thing.
This is why the courts have been able to rule as they did.

scottdog007

Post by scottdog007 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:09 am

Very sad story. I like Pyranha and really hope they can bounce back from this.

For me this should never have happened. I am a design engineer of machines, I have to consider cheapness of build, ease of build, but above all safety of build and usage after by the operators. Many times through out the machine deign safety would be considered by me or others. If it is not done I get reprimanded. There is no excuse to have a machine in the uk that is dangerous. In this instance it would have been dead easy to incorporate a safety device like handle from inside or an isolation button turning off power, or an alarm.

People would have known this machine was dangerous it was just complacency that allowed this to happen. Sorry to be hard but this annoys me as I see this kind of thing in China when I visit companies I am always worried about my safety.

Pat R

Post by Pat R » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:52 pm

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”