Inland paddling
Big Henry

Low Force Rock

Post by Big Henry » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:10 am

Just seen this post on the N.E.SOULBOATERS Facebook page:
David Richardson wrote:Note to all
Low force has a rock in the left side !
The jacuzzi shoot.
We cud tell last week that the water was spraying of something.
And I have had a post that someone broke their leg.
Spread the word !!!
...with the reply...
Nick Wright wrote:Think its a rock missing rather than a new rock! Someone else other than Josh broken themselves?
So if you're going to paddle it, be aware.

Jim Pullen

Re: Low Force Rock

Post by Jim Pullen » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:36 am

I think it always has done, which is the reason it used to get referred to as a "grade 5 line" (which it isn't).

The only broken leg I heard about was about ten years ago, but I think this was more a case of someone having only partially exited their boat in the pool above then getting swept over the drop. Anyone know any more?
Done any NE/NW rivers not on the site? PM me!

Lancs_lad

Post by Lancs_lad » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:54 am

Jim Pullen wrote:I think it always has done, which is the reason it used to get referred to as a "grade 5 line" (which it isn't).

The only broken leg I heard about was about ten years ago, but I think this was more a case of someone having only partially exited their boat in the pool above then getting swept over the drop. Anyone know any more?
This is what I thought?

Jim

Post by Jim » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:34 pm

I reckon there is more than one, that's why it's only a high water option when they are covered (or it used to be).

I don't care to argue about grades, left hand mank or right hand clean drop, it's never been a hard choice for me....

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:37 pm

The YouTube vids don't make it look too nasty even at levels I would not consider 'high'

BigPhil

Post by BigPhil » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:38 pm

Adrian Cooper wrote:The YouTube vids don't make it look too nasty even at levels I would not consider 'high'
Have you done it in your open boat?

The Chuckster

Post by The Chuckster » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:44 pm

The left line always used to look mank, but the last few times I have paddled it, in slightly higher water the line has looked cleaner and I have seen a lot more people run it. As you can run this section incredibly low, it is hard to put the river into a low/ med/high level, as with the smallest level change it can cover one of the rocks that when lower causes the spray. I would say around the lower side of medium it is a cleaner line, but I have seen it higher when it looks manky too.

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:58 pm

BigPhil wrote:Have you done it in your open boat?
'Fraid not, I think 15ft is a bit long for it. I did run the normal line years ago when I used to kayak so I get the general impression.

swimmer_boy

Post by swimmer_boy » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:59 pm

The 'missing rock' is the pinning spot that has been there for at least 25 years.

You see people paddling this drop at very low levels where the risk is greater. if there is a lot of water in it you have more options. It is possible to protect this drop, but you would have to be skilled to help a paddler pinned there.

Jim

Post by Jim » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:08 pm

Adrian Cooper wrote:
BigPhil wrote:Have you done it in your open boat?
'Fraid not, I think 15ft is a bit long for it. I did run the normal line years ago when I used to kayak so I get the general impression.
I have (right) but my canoe is only 11 ft, and I swam.
There were some 13ft canoes with us, at least one stayed upright.
I think it's less about length and more about being adequately restrained, you could slip a long way forward on landing in a trad boat.... but 15' boat with saddle and straps or bulkhead would be OK.

BigPhil

Post by BigPhil » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:54 pm

I was talking about the rather more intimidating left chute really. My pal ran the section with reasonable water in a ducky and seemed to get on fine. I'm not that aware of canoeing outside of watching a few open boat Creeking films from the USA. Respect to those pushing the boundaries in oc1

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:58 pm

One of the pics here shows an oc1 running Jacuzzi chute.

intelligent_danny

Post by intelligent_danny » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:39 pm

Was there yesterday, something's definitely changed, doesn't look nice.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... ee0d60f077

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:52 pm

Ok, so the latest I've heard is that this isn't just rumours but it does sound like something has indeed changed and now there's a high risk of pitoning on a rock. Someone broke an ankle doing just this on the Tyne tour weekend.

Neptune

Post by Neptune » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:35 pm

Jim,

You need to go and have a good look when the water level is low, take plenty of pictures and report back on here on what you saw and post the pictures for all to see giving us your considered opinion as a seasoned paddler of the Tees.

Peter

NRB

Post by NRB » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:20 am

A friend paddled this at the weekend and ran numerous laps on it the weekend before. He ran center tracking right - seemed to go ok. Somethings' definitely changed and certainly doesn't look as nice though.

Would be interesting to see it with no water in it; although i'd imagine I'd never paddle it again if I did.

Nath

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:39 am

Neptune wrote:Jim,

You need to go and have a good look when the water level is low, take plenty of pictures and report back on here on what you saw and post the pictures for all to see giving us your considered opinion as a seasoned paddler of the Tees.

Peter
At the moment family demands mean I hardly get any time to go up there even when there is water! I think I'll save my limited passes for actually paddling I'm afraid Peter!

Nice to hear from Nathan that there is still a line, I guess just approach with caution is the message to take. It's always looked absolutely minging with no water in, so I'm not sure what can be gained by taking any pics!

Neptune

Post by Neptune » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:04 pm

Jim,

I will have make an effort to go walking up there when there is low water if your time is limited, (I know the feeling) as we only usually venture up there when there are decent water levels these days.

If we go to paddle that section sometime soon, I will take a look and run it if it looks like it is going and report back. I have always run it centre tracking right as Nathans friend did and had no mishaps to date.

Peter

The Chuckster

Post by The Chuckster » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:34 pm

I was there on Wednesday - when we got on Low Force I think was on about .5, we walked upsteam and ran dog leg before returning to low force. Levels came up a bit, and the 2 right hand chutes had just come together to form one, but the rock between them was just covered by a few cm of water. At both levels the left line didn't look appealing. It seems that more water is hitting and cushioning against the left bank. Maybe it is a rock/gravel on the up steam side rechanneling the water?

banzer

Post by banzer » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:04 pm

NRB wrote: Would be interesting to see it with no water in it; although I'd imagine I'd never paddle it again if I did.
Nath
You can add to that list Fairy Glen... Scimitar Gorge on the Nevis... any others?
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”